Stephen Ruby training log

Stephen Ruby

It's cool to see he is still training hard and looks like he leaned out quite a bit. 

Thick bar today with my pull day 

Rolling thunder all loaded weight after some heavy rows 

Right hand 

90 x 20

160 x 8 (felt heavy dropped back down)

130 3 x10 

Left hand 

90 x 20

130 3x 10 

Some manus grip holds with 225 3x failure 

Manus grip lat pulldowns 220 4x10 

Some single arm seated rows with rolling thunder handle attached to cable 100 lbs 3x 8 each hand 

Manus grip hammer curls 3x 8 45 lbs 

Couple wrist curls with 35 lbs 3x3 each hand (felt kinda hard not really strict) 

Fatigued after the workout did a lot of pulling/arm movements along with the grip stuff was probably at gym 2 hours and I generally try to be in and out in an hour. No bending might try to rest up(have not been getting enough sleep at all) and go for some high volume this saturday after I sleep in to prime my cns with friday off. 

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 5

On 3/14/2023 at 12:19 PM, Stephen Ruby said:

If you can get a kink on it I'm certain you can finish it. I look forward to you bending it soon. 

I decided to do isos DO style on a pre kinked one from last week and crushed it in suedes... Rested and did another one!

Now, i'd really like to get it reverse style.

• Like 2

Took two days off the gym and grip training and felt quite a bit better today hit a PR since coming back to the gym on front squats 350 for 3x3 (done more in the past but feels good that strength in my legs is coming back) 

Did some grippers after some heavy front squats 

Right hand 

Coc 2 x 5

GHP 6 x 5

GHP 7 x 5

Tried again for the coc 3.5 176 rgc x 1 (missed again I think I need to hold off on going for this for a bit) 

Ghp 7 4x10 ( mini reps on most just focusing on end close) 

Left hand 

Just decided to stick with coc 2 4x10 ( some felt much better then others more with hand positioning affecting the end close again mini reps focusing on just opening it up a little and closing again but not super quick) 

Two 35 lb plate pinches each hand 4x5 (easy these are eleiko bumper plates so get better grip then metal plates but are fairly wide). Pinch felt strong going to do some ironmind block this week see where I'm at. 

Strict plate wrist curls on preacher bench  25 lbs 4x10 each hand 

Got home did 2 60d nails bent reverse past 45 but didn't crush as my biceps were really feeling a pump from the gym. One over my left hand one over my right hand got both under a min combined so these were quick. Then did one of those easy rods strict heslep style arms out in front to a full U. 

red extensor bands from grip genie 5x50 each hand 

• Like 3

nice workout

killer squats

Since pinch felt good yesterday decided to do it again today with the ironmind block 

1 HP ironmind block(loaded weight) 

45 x 15

70 3x5 each hand (easy right hand)

80 1 x 6. -only right hand- pretty confident this is a PR for me 

70 2x5 left and 1 x 5 right. 

Felt strong on these today. I think I can push for 100+ this year loaded weight on this lift. 

Pony pinch 3x failure each hand (just light for a pump) 

Red extensor bands 3x 50

Went heavy on pushing movements got to be careful though as I'm feeling strength come back I felt a little strain in my left shoulder nothing serious but good idea to not push too hard and keep form solid. 

• Like 5

nice work , yes be careful but keep moving forward 

• Like 1

Yeah have to find the right balance between training hard and not getting injured. 

Tough day on thickbar I think my grip wasn't full recovered. Also was without power for over a day so my food options were limited. Hopefully it's the end of heavy rain here in northern california definitely ready for nice sunny weather I'm used to this time of the year. 

Even though the weight isn't huge these surprisingly take a lot out of me. I did them after heavy barbell rows. 

Rolling thunder (loaded weights)

Right hand 

90 x 15

135 x 10

180 x 1(not full lockout, I think my back was gassed also) 

150 3 x 10(started to feel a good technique on my last set) 

150 1 x hold to failure 

Left hand 

90 x 15

135 x 10

150 x 10(broke the ground but not good lifts today)

135 3x10 

135 1 x hold to failure 

Rack pull with manus grips 275 1 hold to failure 

Lat pulldowns manus grips 230 3x10 

Manus grip hammer curls 40 lb dumbbells 3x 10

Strict plate wrist curls over incline bench standing 25 lbs 3 x 10

Wanted to bend but was just gassed after the workout. 

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 4

Yep that darn PG&E. We are so over the rain. Nice work out 

• Like 2

Yeah I just heard we are getting more rain starting monday :(. I never thought I would be tired of rain in california with how rare it's been but I'm over it for sure. Yeah don't get me started with PG&E luckily I was a fortuate one and got power back I still have students without power so I know that's tough. 

Taking an unexpected thursday off as I got volunteered into the student vs staff basketball game at our last pep rally so I didn't want to squat before playing basketball. Got to rest my legs to school some of my students who are on the basketball team. These are for students though so I fully expect to lose but I want to at least have fresh legs to get a few good moves in. 

Did some light recovery work. Hands/forearms are definitely sore but I want to hit grippers hard Saturday on my leg day. Keeping an eye out for a 160-165 gripper which is what I need to transition back into the mid 170 range. My top close was a rgc rated 183 gripper so goal is to get back to that by summer hopefully. 

Extensor bands 5x50

Sidewinder 5 x 1 min intervals light for pump just going fast as I can in a min. 

Some iso hits on the Beginner polycarbonate trainer heslep style lost track but felt a good contraction on these. I want to get the harder ones on these they feel pretty good to work technique and are not as tough on the hand.

I also need to buy a sledge hammer as that was my main training tool back when I did bending.  A good sledge is an amazing tool to build overall wrist/forearm strength so plan to pick one of those up soon. 

• Like 5

A day off is always good especially when you can show some kids how old men rule

• Like 1

On 3/23/2023 at 8:07 PM, John Knowlton said:

A day off is always good especially when you can show some kids how old men rule

I wasn't expecting full court play, I definitely was not prepared to run like that. I got a couple good blocks/rebounds in but we got crushed.(somehow managed to score a couple points) The kids enjoyed it and one of my blocks caused a player to fall which seemed to get a good reaction out of the students. 

Did more walking the past two days with the nice weather and from the basketball game my legs were feeling pretty sore so mixed up the program and did back again and will do legs tomorrow in the afternoon.

Did some grippers today 

Right hand 

coc 2 x 10

Jumped right into a ghp 8 x 1 (fail) wanted to see how it compared to the 3.5 and they are about the same. 

Ghp 7 3x 10(again closer to deep set reps) tough today hands are beat up from the last thickbar session 

Left hand 

Coc 2 3 x 10

Black extensor bands slow 3x25 each hand 

Did some heavy rack pulls and did 405 double overhand pretty easily for a set of 5 before putting on straps to save grip for grippers. Also tried a dead hang after grippers tumbless and held myself for close to half a minute.(I would love to do a minute hold at 400+ lbs before dropping under) 

Did a couple heslep hits with the beginner bar again once I got home. I don't know how must it helps but I definitely get a good pump out of it. 

• Like 3

nice , sounds like you had fun and no one got hurt.

cool workout

One of those days where I just knew I was going to have a tough workout. Definitely drained today did a lot of running around/driving and was burned out. Still glad I can still force myself to the gym to do something even on days like today. 

Did some pinch after some front squats 

Ironmind pinch block (loaded weights)

Right hand 

45 lbs 1x10

70 lbs 3x10(first set good last two some just broke the floor)

55 lbs hold to failure 

Left hand 

45 lbs 1 x 10

70 lbs 1 x 5(too heavy today)

55 3 x 10

55 hold to failure 

Sidewinder 1 x failure 

Forearms/hands are beat up. Going to keep pushing it though as I am noticing some good forearm gains coming back. 

• Like 5

3 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

One of those days where I just knew I was going to have a tough workout. Definitely drained today did a lot of running around/driving and was burned out. Still glad I can still force myself to the gym to do something even on days like today. 

Did some pinch after some front squats 

Ironmind pinch block (loaded weights)

Right hand 

45 lbs 1x10

70 lbs 3x10(first set good last two some just broke the floor)

55 lbs hold to failure 

Left hand 

45 lbs 1 x 10

70 lbs 1 x 5(too heavy today)

55 3 x 10

55 hold to failure 

Sidewinder 1 x failure 

Forearms/hands are beat up. Going to keep pushing it though as I am noticing some good forearm gains coming back. 

Its amazing how tiring driving around is. Some days we do a lot of driving at work, that wears me out more than digging holes all day.. But I still will take a steering wheel over a shovel any day of the week.

Its better to have a not so good workout then to skip unless you risk injury or something like that.  Which Sidewinder do you have? I really love those things, and i know they are expensive and thats probably what turns people off but it surprises me more people don't use them.

• Like 2

better a tough day in the gym than a missed workout

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Blacksmith513 said:

Its amazing how tiring driving around is. Some days we do a lot of driving at work, that wears me out more than digging holes all day.. But I still will take a steering wheel over a shovel any day of the week.

Its better to have a not so good workout then to skip unless you risk injury or something like that.  Which Sidewinder do you have? I really love those things, and i know they are expensive and thats probably what turns people off but it surprises me more people don't use them.

Yeah I absolutely agree. I think it might be because you mentally have to be really alert while driving so its taxing mentally more than you realize. Yeah I have the siderwinder revolution. I liked this one because its metal(better grip) and shorter to keep in my bag. I think it's a fantastic tool for both strength/recovery. I try to use it almost daily either for just a nice pump which I feel helps with endurance/recovery or max out strength to build some mental toughness fighting through the burn. You can get really creative with how you use it. The sidewinder pro/extreme looks nice also that wasn't available when I got mine. I think the metal build allows me to get a better grip with chalk. 

There are lots of great grip tools available. I mean I think you can build your grip with just a regular gym equipment but part of the fun of this sport is all the fun training tools available. I'm saving up for a grip machine as my next big purchase. 

3 hours ago, John Knowlton said:

better a tough day in the gym than a missed workout

Yeah consistency matters a lot. I always feel better doing something and even a light day is better than no day. I have to remind myself that I don't need to go really heavy each workout and I need to listen to my body more with what I can handle on any given day. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Yeah I absolutely agree. I think it might be because you mentally have to be really alert while driving so its taxing mentally more than you realize. Yeah I have the siderwinder revolution. I liked this one because its metal(better grip) and shorter to keep in my bag. I think it's a fantastic tool for both strength/recovery. I try to use it almost daily either for just a nice pump which I feel helps with endurance/recovery or max out strength to build some mental toughness fighting through the burn. You can get really creative with how you use it. The sidewinder pro/extreme looks nice also that wasn't available when I got mine. I think the metal build allows me to get a better grip with chalk. 

There are lots of great grip tools available. I mean I think you can build your grip with just a regular gym equipment but part of the fun of this sport is all the fun training tools available. I'm saving up for a grip machine as my next big purchase. 

Yeah consistency matters a lot. I always feel better doing something and even a light day is better than no day. I have to remind myself that I don't need to go really heavy each workout and I need to listen to my body more with what I can handle on any given day. 

Yup and out here in Mass, i've noticed a huge decline in other peoples driving skills. You really have to be alert, its not uncommon anymore for a light to turn red and 5 cars still blow through it and i'm not in a hustling city.

I have the Pro extreme and the Sidetwister, even if its just for warming up i always use them. When I go on long rides and i'm not driving, i'll bring one of them and mess around with it. You can get killer pumps with it quick doing drop sets, especially alternating the two. 

Edited by Blacksmith513
  • Like 1

Yeah I feel everyone is always in a rush for no reason and as a result put themselves and others in danger. Driving sucks especially in traffic. 

Did some grippers again today on my push day.

Some black extensor bands for a warm up 

Right hand 

Ghp 7 4x10 (second set in particular felt really good)

Ghp 7 1 x hold to failure 

Left hand 

Coc 2 4x10 (best sets left hand in a while

Coc 2 1x hold to failure 

Volume working is feeling good on grippers when I avoid going for a heavy single. I plan to get the bumper to add some extra resistance each week. I'm just going to avoid the heavy singles now as I'm dieting and focus on the volume work getting technique down and hopefully some hypertrophy gains. I also want to get these for wide sets at the same volume also. 

3 x 25 black extensor bands each hand nice and slow 

Also did 3x failure thumbless dead hangs. I feel this felt pretty good on my shoulders after pressing. 

Few iso hits on the beginner bar again when home. Then 1 60d nail in a single wrap. Sidewinder to finish 1x failure 

My hands felt trashed before the gym so I'm surprised I felt fine on grippers of all things which I usually see the biggest drop if my hands are sore. 

• Like 3

Did some heavy rack pulls today and felt a slight strain in my left lat on my last  set so I decided against rolling thunder today and kept it lighter with just manus grips. The rack pulls felt so easy(about 675 just above knee) but got to be careful in that although its a partial movement the weight is still quite a bit and I have to keep form solid. I just relaxed slightly on one rep and that was enough to feel a strain. I should be alright though but definitely felt weaker on all pulling machines after this. 

All done with manus grips

Barbell rows 225 5x5 

Lat pulldowns 180 4x12 

Hammer curls 35 lbs 4x10 

Did some strict wrist curls off the preacher bench with 25 lb plate 4x10

Sidewinder 3x failure 

Not great at measuring my forearm but they are around 16.5 again flexed. I gained a little over .5 inches in the last 2ish months since starting to workout hard again. Of Course my body fat percentage is high but my goal is to keep them round 16 inches but at sub 20% bodyfat. Straight not flexed they are around 16 inches which might be easier way to track progress as depending on how I flex I can push the tape past 17 inches. I do no bodybuilding movements for the forearms just grip specific work so trying to see if I can get good size just from grip training. Want to get my forearms to eventually look like C8Myotome/Mateks. 

I'll do some pinch with my leg day tomorrow

Screen Shot 2023-03-28 at 11.53.50 PM.png

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 4

Went up to heavy single on front squats to 385 which was a big jump for me. Probably bad idea as I shifted every so slightly in the bottom position and now my left knee feels a little tweaked. I can walk fine and do pulling movements(did RDL after fine) but stopped doing my squat workout for the day. I should have just dumped the weight but its good reminder that I should just focus on lighter weights as my muscle strength is coming back but my technique might not be as solid as I would like. Hard to not want to push heavy weights when your feeling strong though but good to keep ego in check as now I felt tweaks on both heavy pull and squat this week. (I've said this a few times but now I might be forced to as my body is starting to react by getting hurt) 

Ironmind pinch block all loaded weight after squats 

Right hand 

45 x 15 

80 5x5(some reps just broke the floor some full lockout) 

Left hand 

45 x 10

65 5x5(all pretty good reps probably could have gone heavier) 

Pinch felt strong. 

Tried to do some grippers after but there was no way so just stopped after the 2 felt heavy right handed. 

• Like 5

Nice Squats, the ego is a pretty powerful thing, sometimes it shows up before you sometimes it sneaks up on you. it's hard to keep it in check.

• Like 2

On 3/31/2023 at 12:58 PM, John Knowlton said:

Nice Squats, the ego is a pretty powerful thing, sometimes it shows up before you sometimes it sneaks up on you. it's hard to keep it in check.

Definitely it's like the feeling of hitting a pr and really straining with heavy weight is addictive but you have to be mindful that it comes with risk. 

My kids started their spring break so ended up taking friday/saturday off to enjoy the start of spring break. My joints are feeling better so maybe the rest was good.(Some pizza and beer can always make everything feel better) Going to see how knees feel by Wed to see if I risk some light deload squats (50-60% of my current max).

Did some grippers today with my push day. Again all reps are between MM and a few mm open just focusing on nice explosive close in the end range. 

Right hand 

Ghp 7 4x10 

Left hand 

Coc 2 4x10 (last set not that great had to assist with holding my wrist) 

Extensor bands 4x30 each hand 

Volume work is feeling easier I think based off the rep ranges I'm hitting I'm good for mid 170 I just need to adjust to the feel/set with the heavier gripper. I think when I don't set it just right I am missing it mainly due to technique and not strength.

Weight has stagnated but could be because I cheated saturday on my diet. I do feel my waist is smaller as pants are looser around midsection so I definitely have put on some muscle since I started back up which might account for the scale not dropping as much. Today marks 1 month since I started my log back(and around 10 weeks since I started working out again) again so feels good to be consistent. 

• Like 3

Nice one

I remember when pizza and beer was pre-workout 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Stephen Ruby said:

Definitely it's like the feeling of hitting a pr and really straining with heavy weight is addictive but you have to be mindful that it comes with risk. 

There's a time and place for PR's, especially squats; having actually worked up to a strength peak & being prepared for it, & knowing what to go for, not just randomly out of nowhere after not having peaked, which the ego can tell you is a good idea. Last time I tried that I projectile sprayed blood out of my face (this was back when my home gym had carpet) and all over the rack. I never cleaned the blood off the rack as a reminder to keep my ego in check, it's been there about 2 years now. On powerlifts I honestly don't care that much about 1RM maxing anymore, I'm not competing, nobody cares about how much I can lift, adding 5 lbs to an old PR isn't going to significantly change my life either, I just like lifting for functional strength. 1RM really tests what your tissues are able to handle with a very small margin for error if overshooting too much.

• Like 3