Stephen Ruby training log

Stephen Ruby

I did some grip training back in 2013 and quit in 2014. I tried to train it again late in 2015 but gave up again and I have not touched any type of weight training or grip since then. I am pretty out of shape right now and since this is the best strength community around I'm hoping to regain lost strength and compete again with the help of this community. Its a humbling experience to be lifting again struggling with weights that were once warm ups but I know patience is the key and I have seen others come back stronger from lay offs. 

I have been going to the gym for the last two weeks and I'm currently dieting(I started over 370lbs my hope is 300lbs by the end of the year I will weigh in on Wednesday every week) and I did my first grip session this past Saturday. I'm not 100% healthy as my back has some major issues but I can still train its just something I am working on(losing weight will help I'm sure)

I am just going to use this log to keep myself on track and see the progress I make. 

My first grip workout I decided to do some bending and I plan to do this weekly on Saturday.

I did 20 60d nails in a single wrap all using reverse technique.

Also did some sledge levering front and back for reps of 10(had to move hand higher after first set) with a 10lb hammer 3 sets each.

Along with some Overhead tosses with a shot putt(10 throws 3 sets) and some sprints(tabata method this killed me I was not able to sprint to full capacity after the first go around). My hands are sore today but feels good to be training my hands again. 

• Like 11

Welcome back man!

• Like 1

Great to see you on the board again, Stephen!  I hope you continue injury-free and hit all your goals this go around.

• Like 1

Welcome back, Stephen! 

• Like 1

Thanks everyone for the support. Its fun to be training again.

I woke up with a cold of some type today. I have not felt well at all(general weak feeling, running nose, head/ear ache, itchy throat etc) but I forced myself to the gym still. 

1. Front squat 3x5(felt weak and hard on these I planned to do 5x5 but cut it back as I was a little out of it and was getting sick a bit doing these) 

2. Leg curls and Leg extension 3x15 each slow and control

4. Light abdominal work(machine and 3x time hold plank)

For grip I did some open hand work

1. Rolling thunder 180 loaded weight 1x10, 2x8 right hand 3x8 left hand

2. I tried some manus grip work I grabbed a 110lb thicker dummbell and just did 3x failure time holds along with just picking it up one handed 3x until I no longer could pick it up)

3. Did some light rows with the manus grips just to get a little more blood flowing 3x15 with 135

Light basketball for an hour just shooting around with a friend.

Calories for the day is 2,849 with 220 grams of protein.  

My hands are beat up I'm going to give them a rest tomorrow and just do some rehab work(maybe use the manus grips for some of my pressing movements) and try to see if I can hit grippers Wednesday. 

My ghp 7 just came in from cannon power works so I'm looking forward to trying it out since I only currently have a 3.5 and 4 coc which are way too hard for me at the moment.(I believe both are a little above avg 4 is rated 215 and the 3.5 I remember feeling 180+ compared to the rated grippers I felt in that range). I'll try to get a video of my first attempt Wednesday. 

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 3

Still sick today chest inflammation and nausea so did a light circuit workout on the machines.

30 min cardio elliptical 

Chest and shoulder press 4x12 

Lat pull-down 3x12

Overhead triceps extension 3x15

Preacher curls 3x12

30 min light shooting basketball 

I tried out this theraband flexbar for a few light sets and some extension work with just some rubber bands. I like the flexbar I plan to use it more.  Hands and forearms are beat up I'm going to do some lacrosse ball work on it and some contrast baths before I sleep.

Calories way low I have no appetite only at 1500 calories and I don't think I am going to eat anything solid again today. 

I weigh in tomorrow and hope I'm rested to hit grippers or else I'll do some light pinch

• Like 1

Wednesday weighed in at 367 down 5 lbs so far. My workout was light since I had a long day of work so was I mentally exhausted by the end  only had time to get a 45 min workout in so just did a quick full body circuit on the machines 3x12(chest press, leg press, seated overhead press, seated rows, tricep extension and curl with the rope)

Thursday is my day off so I had a cheat meal pizza tonight and I plan to hit a heavy workout tomorrow. I'm also just starting to get over my cold so hopefully feel back to full strength by Friday. Hands are feeling better, I'm still sore but I will be ready to try the GHP 7 tomorrow.(I'll be sure to post any video to see where I"m at)

Edited by Stephen Ruby

Something came up Friday so I had to miss the gym but I came back this Saturday for a heavy workout in the morning. 

40 min light basketball shooting 

Front squat

225 x 8 315 x 5  405 x 1(tough lift shouldn't have pushed it so heavy right away but was lifting with a friend and he was motivating me with some of the PR's he hit today. I also have had 3 days off so I was well rested today)

315 2x3 

Grippers 

ghp7 x 5 quick closes

ghp7 with a 20mm block 

ghp7 with a wider block set( I messed this up I closed onto the block before it left my hand so it felt awkward but still got it) 

ghps 3x3 mm set right hand (left hand did 3x5 but assisted closes at the end of the motion, I need a easier gripper for my left) 

Flask 1 hp pinch

5x5 right hand and left hand 70lbs loaded weight. Was pretty easy tried 100lbs loaded and didn't get anything on it other then very minor partial lift 

My first time with the flask today so it was pretty slick but I really like this a lot more then the Euro. I didn't have any issues with cutting myself on this device. 

Rows with manus grip (185 3x10 and 2253x5) 

Leg extension for machines 4 x15 

Going to try to hit some bending tonight also if I can. 

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 5

I'm a big guy but you are just freaking gigantic. Great stuff dude. That 405 front squat was particularly impressive 

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

Thanks your performance on grippers has been motivating for me, I hope your able to put up some huge numbers in the coming weeks at SSJ4! 

I was happy with the front squat lift today it felt good to just feel a heavy weight again. I hope I can continue to lose weight and get stronger. 

• Like 1

Yeah, beautiful 405 FS! Great mobility. I never could do a proper front squat. My long leg to torso ratio don't help. 

• Like 1

So let me get this straight.

1. You haven't trained with weights since 2015?
2. You just started training again a couple of weeks ago?
3. You hit a 405lb front squat???

That's some impressive brute strength you've got!

• Like 1

On 6/18/2017 at 0:45 PM, EricMilfeld said:

Yeah, beautiful 405 FS! Great mobility. I never could do a proper front squat. My long leg to torso ratio don't help. 

Thanks I have focused on back squat in the past more but Front squat has been feeling better for my back. Your strength is elite level good luck at nationals I get a lot of motivation from your log. 

On 6/18/2017 at 2:47 PM, jvance said:

Yes great form on the front squat. 405 is no joke!!

Thanks squatting has always felt more natural for me then pulling. 

On 6/19/2017 at 6:49 AM, Royz said:

So let me get this straight.

1. You haven't trained with weights since 2015?
2. You just started training again a couple of weeks ago?
3. You hit a 405lb front squat???

That's some impressive brute strength you've got!

Thanks my leg strength retention has been a lot better then my pressing and back strength. I think because I have to carry around all my weight they have not atrophied as much. I have done quite a bit heavier on back squats in the past but front squat feel safer for me now so I plan to focus on front squat for now. 

Monday workout 

Front squat  135 x 10 225 x 8 3x5 315 

Grippers ghp 7 10 quick closes around mash monster set 

3x5 mash monster sets right hand 1x3 20mm block set each time

5x5 left hand assisted at the end of the motion(I am going to order a ghp 6 for a warm up gripper and to use for my left hand)

Bench Press

135 x10 225 x10 275 3 x8 185 x 15 

Rows manus grip 

225 3x5 

Leg extension 4 x 15 

Preacher Curl Machine 3x15 

Felt strong yesterday grippers are improving. I need to get some bending stock I was supposed to bend Monday but going to wait till Wednesday now(going to try a grade 8 reverse with on wrap to see how a heavier bend feels) 

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 2

On 21-6-2017 at 1:21 AM, Stephen Ruby said:

Thanks my leg strength retention has been a lot better then my pressing and back strength. I think because I have to carry around all my weight they have not atrophied as much. I have done quite a bit heavier on back squats in the past but front squat feel safer for me now so I plan to focus on front squat for now. 

:D Sounds like a plausible explanation. What are some of the best weights you lifted in the past?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Royz said:

:D Sounds like a plausible explanation. What are some of the best weights you lifted in the past?

I have back squatted around mid 600 I can't remember actually how much though lol. I know I could do low reps with 495 fairly ok though. My long term goal is a 700+ back squat and deadlift in a contest. My first goal is another grip contest though hopefully next year I'm saving up money to go to nationals so I'll be trying to qualify for that early next year. I have had a lot of fun at all the grip contests I've been too so thats what I'm looking forward to doing again. 

Tuesday caught up with a friend I haven't talked to in a few months so I ended up just doing ping pong for an hour and a mile walk on the track. 

Wednesday 

Front squat 

135 x 10 225 x 10 315 2x7 and 1x5(racked early since I lost position of the bar a little) last set 365 for 3 (hard set)

Grippers again ghp 7 2x10 quicker closes a little under mm set then 3x5 mm set right hand 5x5 left hand assisted closes at the end mm set 

Incline Press

135 x 10  185 x10 225 2x10 265  x 6

Leg extension and curl machine 3 x15 

Grippers are feeling better I'm going to wait until Saturday and take a solid attempt at my coc 3.5 and see how far away I am. I weighed in at 370 I'm pretty sure I'm retaining some water from some poor choices of food tuesday night.

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 3

Mainly a grip workout tonight 

Flask 1 hp 

75lbs loaded weight 7x5 each hand 

I am really impressed with the flask the skin around my thumbs were completely fine after these 

Manus Rows 225 5x5(last two sets were ugly but these really tax my open hand grip) 

Lat Pulldowns 5x10 with manus grips(after these my forearms were really feeling it) 

Preacher curls 5x10 

Light basketball shooting for 30 min 

Going to just do light cardio tomorrow and get a heavy workout in on Saturday

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 2

Friday

Preacher curls 4x12

Isolation preacher curl one handed 4x12 each hand 

Triceps overhead extension 4x12 

Triceps single arm extension 4x12 

Triceps double arm extension 4x12 

Preacher Curl Machine 4x12 

This Ab circuit 3x20 each 

Saturday  

Bench Press 135 x 12 225 x 10 315 x 6 345 x3 405 x 1(hard lift touch and go)

The 405 press took a lot out of me so ended up not doing front squats so hit machines for my legs. I'm happy with this lift though my spotter did touch the bar for a second i think he got nervous but it was a fast lift and I want to replicate it on video next week.

Machine Chest Press 4x20 

Leg press 4 x 20 

Leg Curl 4x20 

Leg Extension 4x20

Grippers Ghp #7 x3 (harder then usual elbows are feeling sore) 

Attempt at 3.5 x 1 (miss) I'll post the attempt later its on my friends phone. I should have gone for this attempt on Wednesday when my gripper strength was feeling a lot stronger.  

Ghp #7 3x3 each hand holding last set as long as I could

Manus rows 185 3x10 135 3x15

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 2

On 25-6-2017 at 4:04 AM, Stephen Ruby said:

405 x 1(hard lift touch and go)

Dude impressive.

A lot of us never get there no matter how long and hard we train.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Royz said:

Dude impressive.

Very impressive. He stays dedicated to training hes going to put up world class numbers. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Royz said:

Dude impressive.

Thanks, my strength to weight ratio is pretty bad though its a little easier to move heavier weights when you are heavy yourself. I appreciate the support though and hope to push myself further then before. 

14 hours ago, Chez said:

Very impressive. He stays dedicated to training hes going to put up world class numbers. 

Thanks you yourself will more then likely put up one of the all time best gripper closes in the coming weeks at ssj 4. I have favorable leverages for pressing right now with the big stomach and shorter arms for my height. 

Here was my 3.5 miss from this past saturday

I actually failed it about the same distance two more times that I didn't record. I think I'm close though and hope to get this closed in the coming weeks. 

Monday workout 

Front squat 135 x 10 225 x8 315 x5 365 x3 (hard) 375 x 3 (hard)

Incline Press 135 x 10 225 x 12 275 x8 275 x 6 275 x 6

Leg extension 4 x 15 

Lat pulldowns 4 x 15 

Ghp #7 3x3 right hand 3x3 left hand assisted closes 

Going to do a more grip dedicated workout Tuesday 

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 2

Tuesday Workout got to the gym late so only managed to play a half court 3v3 game of basketball for about 30 min(we won) then finished with some lat pulldowns and curls 

Wednesday (My back was a little tight today from the basketball game so I decided just to do upper body instead of hitting front squats also)

Incline Press 135 x 10 225 3 x 10 

Chest Press machine 4 x 15 

Tricep single arm extension with rope and double arm overhead extension 4 x 15 all 

Machine row 4 x 12 

Sledge Hammer work 10lb  5x5 each hand (touch nose and extend back) followed by 3x5 each hand deadlift as far back as I could. 

Plan to go light today for my workout probably just do cardio maybe some abs/arms and go for a heavy pr workout Fri. My lower back has been feeling tight I think my bed is starting to sink a bit or I tweaked it a little doing that basketball game. Going to roll it out today on my pvc pipe a bit. 

Edited by Stephen Ruby
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Went out of town for a week due to some family issues 

First workout back was this Wednesday 

Incline Press 5x7 275

Machine Chest Press 4x12

Triceps rope extension(single arm and double arm) 4x12 

Preacher Curl 4x12 

Ghp #7 3x12 right hand 3x(failure left hand)

Thursday 

1 hour cardio basketball

Saturday 

Incline Press 225 4 x 12 

Machine Chest Press 4x12 

Tricep rope extension(single arm and double arm) 4x12 

Lat Pull-downs strict with manus grip 3x12 

Lat Pull-down closer underhand grip 4x8(heavy) 

Preacher Curl 4x12 double arm 4x12 single arm 

Ghp #7 3x10 right hand 3x failure left hand assisted

I feel I'm almost ready to crush my 3.5 gripper the ghp 7 is starting to feel easy. The strength difference on grippers from my left to right hand is pretty dramatic though I need to work on my left more. In the past I used to ignore left a lot and would just grab my grippers when bored in the car with my right ha d. My left hand is pretty equal in all other areas of grip other then grippers. 

I plan to get back on track this Monday and hit my legs again. My lower back was not feeling great after the basketball game so decided to keep it safe and just do upper body for now. My weight is still the same I'm basically eating at maintenance and trying to build strength up a little but I have noticed I have lost some fat just based on how I look.(probably muscle memory) I've been broke so I haven't bough any bending stock but I get paid again this week so I will be getting some bending stock to try out. 

• Like 1

Monday workout split into two workouts 

Morning 

20 min basketball warming up 

Front Squats 315 x 6,5, 5( I wanted to do 6x6 but this was too heavy starting back up)

Leg Curls 4x15 

Leg Extension 4x15 

1hp Flask 75lbs loaded weight 5x5 each hand(left hand last two sets not pretty) 

Pinch is feeling stronger

Night Workout after work 

20 min basketball warming up 

Incline Press 135 x 10 225 x 10 315 5x5 

Overhead presses machine and chest press machine 3x12 

More 1hp flask work 70lbs loaded weight 3x7 each hand and holds for time last sets. 

Planning to do some back and arms tonight. 

• Like 2