GHP10 contest

Kashtan

1 minute ago, Cannon said:

This does get brought up a couple times every year. The GripBoard has always maintained that everyone will be treated the same. Nobody has ever been allowed to go out of order, have more than 1 gripper at a time, or start anywhere except MM1. It has also been viewed as part of the prestige of being at the top. Those guys went through it all. It would be like an elite climber doing Everest but insisting to be dropped off at the highest base camp because everything up until then is a joke for them. (That analogy probably doesn't hold up under scrutiny but I went with it LOL). 

Yes, you told that multiple times, I definitely remember that 🙂

Maybe there is something else that gripboard could do to help Carl with his certification process.

Fundraising to pay for the shipping, for instance. Maybe that's the issue...

6 minutes ago, insane.warrior said:

Maybe there is something else that gripboard could do to help Carl with his certification process.

For sure. Individuals from the community have absolutely sponsored many certifications!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, insane.warrior said:

Yes, you told that multiple times, I definitely remember that 🙂

I don't think it's about the money it's not a very expensive thing to do at like 15 dollars per level. His training is very diverse and I don't think he trains grippers year round, and it could also have been a matter of not wanting to be bothered with syncing up 9-10 training sessions to anticipate which day each box will show up on etc, when there's so many other things he can work on that don't require that kind of time investment/planning. Even if each level took 1-2 weeks that would still be like 2.5 to 5 months of being dedicating at syncing up gripper attempts with training just to get a chance at MM10, which could interfere with his other training goals. The rules are strict but if you flew him out and let him close them all in a day he could probably do that but the rules wouldn't allow it. With so many world records already I don't think being the final boss of MM is likely something he really cares about that much when he already has earned so many other titles. Idk him personally so I'm just guessing

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, C8Myotome said:

I don't think it's about the money it's not a very expensive thing to do at like 15 dollars per level.

Only 15 dollars per level, damn I wish it was the same here lol. From my estimates, I'll have to pay like 100+ dollars each level 😬

Would a european based MM ladder be possible in the future? 🤔

Edited by EmilBB
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, EmilBB said:

Using what grippers though? I think that would be the hurdle. And then it wouldn't be the same "everyone at every level" idea. It would just be a wholly independent and different certification. I don't feel it would be the "MM ladder" even if the GripBoard ran the cert.  

One question I have: I do a lot of shipping around the world. But I have no idea what it's like to ship from other countries. Does the EU make it like NAFTA where it's significantly cheaper to ship between those participating countries duty-free? Or if you ship from Finland to France, are there customs charges? Does it cost more the farther you ship even if you're still within the EU?  

• Like 1

Also, to get this back to the GHP 10 contest topic, did anyone simply ask Wade? 

(EDIT: I do see now he was tagged earlier.) 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Cannon said:

Using what grippers though? I think that would be the hurdle. And then it wouldn't be the same "everyone at every level" idea. It would just be a wholly independent and different certification. I don't feel it would be the "MM ladder" even if the GripBoard ran the cert.  

One question I have: I do a lot of shipping around the world. But I have no idea what it's like to ship from other countries. Does the EU make it like NAFTA where it's significantly cheaper to ship between those participating countries duty-free? Or if you ship from Finland to France, are there customs charges? Does it cost more the farther you ship even if you're still within the EU?  

It would have to be it's own series of grippers of course, so they wouldn't be comparable to the current MM grippers. I just think there's a good amount of people in europe who might be able or want to do the MM ladder but can't afford it. So it would open up a possibility for those people to get on a well known list, even though it would be seperate. CoC cert is the cheaper route for europeans because it doesn't have to be returned but it's also not very "fair" to everyone with the wide set, I think a MMS set is more fair to most hand sizes. This is just wishful thinking of course but I would love for it to be a reality 😁

As far as I know, I can ship to any EU country and it would not get a customs charge. I just checked and it would cost more for me to ship to Greece, than it would to a neighbouring country like Sweden but not much more. That's the case in Denmark anyway.

Edited by EmilBB

3 hours ago, Cannon said:

I would love to see him do the #4 cert. I hope that comes together some day. 

Just from talking to Carl he's definitely still grinding for the 4 cert but he has some bad habits he's trying to iron out like rushing the card swipe, Other than Carl the next closest to the 4 cert has to be Ivan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, EmilBB said:

Only 15 dollars per level, damn I wish it was the same here lol. From my estimates, I'll have to pay like 100+ dollars each level 😬

Yeah I wish it was the same here too I’m next door in Canada and I think it cost me like 200.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

Yeah I wish it was the same here too I’m next door in Canada and I think it cost me like 200.

Yikes, I thought it would be cheaper for someone in Canada.

No Canada loves hammering us with duty and tariffs and a bunch of fees on anything coming from the states. Plus shipping is expensive especially for anything goin out of Canada. Doesn’t help our dollar is worth like 70 cents compared to the US dollar .

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Nuttgens said:

No Canada loves hammering us with duty and tariffs and a bunch of fees on anything coming from the states. Plus shipping is expensive especially for anything goin out of Canada. Doesn’t help our dollar is worth like 70 cents compared to the US dollar .

That's pretty loony...& also toony

• Like 1

1 hour ago, C8Myotome said:

That's pretty loony...& also toony

It’s a pretty weak loonie.

• Like 1

GHP has four grippers for certification; Iron Mind has only three; and Silarukov has three if I'm not mistaken; all have their own sets and rules. Also, Mash Monster has uniqueness and tradition, but a ladder of ten grippers is a lot.

I think the mash monster ladder is the best system.  You have every fair advantage to be able to close the gripper, and there is also room for charisma and showmanship.  Best of all, the lineage and history of the grippers is worth going through all of them.  I get the "FOMO" from the board about a guy like Carl never devoting the months of coordination to get to the MM10; we want to see it, but there's also something cool about the guy who is clearly the GOAT never getting around to it because he was too busy breaking world records.  It leaves room for someone else to do something he never did, because frankly, we are running out of those opportunities.

Edited by dubyagrip
  • Like 10

53 minutes ago, josé adalton said:

GHP has four grippers for certification; Iron Mind has only three; and Silarukov has three if I'm not mistaken; all have their own sets and rules. Also, Mash Monster has uniqueness and tradition, but a ladder of ten grippers is a lot.

10 is a lot but I think there's at least 11 in the MM ladder. 

2 hours ago, josé adalton said:

IM has 5 cert grippers if you count the 2 only women are allowed to do

I think women can cert on GHP6 but I don't think I've ever seen it in writing. Maybe GHP5 also?

A women's version of mash monster would be cool too but it would also be a lot to organize for how few women would probably ever be interested in it or even attempt it. Maybe with MM being roughly 158 to 240 a women's MM could be like 100 to 160 or something? Idk

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/13/2023 at 7:14 PM, dubyagrip said:

I think the mash monster ladder is the best system.

Me, too.  Also harder to fake, because as far as I know , it is the only gripper you have to send back, with a respected custodian who will know if you've tampered with it.  The other video certs can be faked (it isn't common I know, and I am not saying anyone in particular faked it, but y'all know what I mean).  Someone who did the MM4, did the MM4.  It was that gripper, and it is still that gripper, and then someone else will do it.

My only beef with the MM ladder is the same one that's been mentioned countless times before:  there is a huge gap between 2 and 3.  Yes, you can say that separates good from better, men from boys, whatever you want, but the point is, if you are measuring something and you can't measure in the middle, you lose precision.  If we were discussing whether people were short or tall and we stopped measuring at 5 feet and picked up at 7 feet and said well, if you don't make 7 feet, you're the same as 5 feet, that wouldn't be very precise.  You could be tall and not make 7 feet.  And sure, you can say "I am over 5 feet," but that's not saying much.

That is all.  But I am all for an MM2.5

• Like 4

The only thing I don't like about the MM ladder is that none of the grippers are rated. What's the reasoning behind that again? Otherwise, I think it is the best system by far. Everyone closing the exact same gripper, and having to move up the ladder through every gripper.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2023 at 1:29 AM, Jared P said:

The only thing I don't like about the MM ladder is that none of the grippers are rated. What's the reasoning behind that again? Otherwise, I think it is the best system by far. Everyone closing the exact same gripper, and having to move up the ladder through every gripper.

Hello lads

Forgotten

GMC by vano sukhasvili

It is identical to Monster mash in procedure so the gripper goes back to him as in Monster mash

In my opinion, the improvement compared to Monster mash is that you can choose the level (saving money)

For those who live outside America like us

That little between customs and return shipping cost each level Monster mash to me for example would cost more than $ 110.

Then of certification that can not be stolen there is ironmind as well as GMC and Monster mash

The others could be modified in some way.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tiziano Becchio said:

Hello lads

Forgotten

GMC by vano sukhasvili

It is identical to Monster mash in procedure so the gripper goes back to him as in Monster mash

In my opinion, the improvement compared to Monster mash is that you can choose the level (saving money)

For those who live outside America like us

That little between customs and return shipping cost each level Monster mash to me for example would cost more than $ 110.

Then of certification that can not be stolen there is ironmind as well as GMC and Monster mash

The others could be modified in some way.

Another good certification in the same style is "Griffkraft / oldschoolstrengthclub.de" based in Germany. It's TNS only, using narrow Robert Baraban grippers. The certification itself is free, you only pay for shipping & return shipping.