Under the Radar - Grip Profile - David Thornton

anwnate

Today's profile features David Thornton.

David's good friend, Andrew Pantke, was kind enough to write today's introduction.  Before reading it myself…I had no idea just how prodigious Thornton's grip strength is.  He truly typifies a gripster flying…"Under the Radar."  I'll let Andrew take over… 

Years ago I had the opportunity to attend the Michigan Grip championships at Larkin's gym in Three Rivers.  A small gym…something you would have seen back in the 60’s and 70’s.  Carpeted floors, a wood burner for heat, equipment everywhere and the walls covered with pictures of past lifters.  The event started with the usual sounds and commotions of lifters warming up and hitting their opening weights.

As the guys take their 4th attempt and start falling out of the event this older quiet gentleman steps up and asks if he can take a warmup lift.  This man is Dave Thornton.  After we are all out, he puts a few more plates on the bar and chalks up for his lift.  In a blink of an eye, something changes in him…and with a laser like focus, he effortlessly pulls an opener over the rest of our final pulls.  As fast as that intensity appeared…he’s back to being calm, collected and looking for more plates.

Dave’s list of feats and accomplishments are impressive. He has closed the Old Black Gripper.  Let me quote Bob for the details.  The Tetting Super Heavy Duty gripper, "Old Black" as Don Larkin refers to it.   It calibrates at 174ish, but has smooth, short steel handles on a #3 spring.  Closed by visitors, but it was never officially hit in competition.  The gripper isn't the hardest in the world, but it represents to some of us in Michigan, a goal that we have fought hard to achieve.

In NAGS competitions, Dave has totaled an over 800# total in grippers, 2 hand euro pinch and axle deadlift.  On the old system, this would have put Dave in a separate contested (and coveted) Elite group.

Feats I have witnessed from David over the years include (but not limited to), lifting an INCH dumbbell, pinching 2x45’s, lifting a 175# anvil by the horn and 2 finger pinching 3x25’s with one hand.

His bending feats are equally impressive.  He has bent a Big Bastard, a 6.5” Edgin Bolt (Grade 5 by 5/16”), and a 5/16” Square cold rolled bar. The square is on the same level as a KOAB (King of all Bastards) and depending on the steel grade…can actually be harder.

Dave performed at a high level in all the competitions he’s participated in.  His matter-of-fact 2007 Gripmas Carol Medley was pure domination.  In two King Kong events he's competed in, he placed in the top 5. 

He's also made an indelible mark competing at World’s Strongest Hands competitions. In an incredible run, he overall placed 6th in 2010, 3rd in 2011 and 2nd in 2012 AND 2013.  For the breadth and width of Dave’s ability’s he’s known among his friends and competitors as the man with “No Weakness”.

Thornton Profile.jpg

7 Questions to get to know David.

1.  What are your stats?  Gripboard Name, Age, Height (inches/meters), Weight (lbs/kgs), R/L dominant hand size (cm/in), Country/City (or region … whatever you are comfortable with), Relationship Status, Kids?, Occupation ("international spy" is acceptable) 

GripBoard name:  dthor

Height:  6'4" (193cm)

Weight:  230lbs (104kgs)  -240s in my 40s when I was younger/stronger

Hand Size:  RH 8"  (20.3cm)  - Right and Left hands are better at different events

Location: I currently live just North of Jackson, Michigan, USA  (Originally from Northern Michigan)

Relationship: Married to a wonderful woman Rebecca since 11/7/15.  I have two children, Ben and Caitlin.

Occupation:  Corrections Officer / prior Police Officer / Probation Agent

2.  Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)? 

I started lifting steady around 15 yrs old. I guess I have always had a fairly strong grip strength from my training.  I remember picking up the 45s at the gym two at a time while loading the bar (not both smooth side out).  I also maxed out the hand dynamometer during my police academy test.

I became more interested in regular grip training around 2000 through Brooks Kubik’s “Dinosaur Training” book.

At this point I started doing grip work in addition to my training.  Before this grip stuff was really no big deal for me.  My first grip contest was MGC in early 2004.

3.  Before you die, what is your ULTIMATE grip goal/goals? 

No real goals at this time. I still train the basic lifts with general health in mind.  Working around and avoiding injuries. I  have been fortunate enough to see many things done that should not be possible as far as grip and general lifting go.

4.  How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training?

My training is usually on a two days a week split, along with helping my son Ben strength train for Martial Arts on the weekend. At this time I work on some grip events.

5.  What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

I mainly enjoy activities with my wife and kids, movies, history, reading, vacations/day trips.

6.  Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

Everything is connected.

God, family, work, sport. Try to keep a balance.

That being said, when you are in the gym, work out hard.

Keep a training log: when your training goes south…which it will…go back to what worked.

7.  Who's Grip profile would you like to see next?

My good friend, Bob Lipinski.

Thanks Dave.  Bob has been contacted and agreed to be profiled down the road. 

Many thanks to Andrew for the profile intro.

• Like 12

Dave is also known as the nicest guy in grip.  He's what I have always called a "fooler" -  he looks like Clark Kent but lifts like Superman.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, climber511 said:

Dave is also known as the nicest guy in grip.  He's what I have always called a "fooler" -  he looks like Clark Kent but lifts like Superman.

He is not kidding. Dave is professional, a gentleman, and might be the last person you might notice in a room full of grip guys. Until he moves into action.

One of the best things about participating in a "Nationals" is that you meet people you otherwise would not meet. For me, it was Chris Rice and Dave Thornton in 2009.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, dthor said:

Thanks for the write up Nate and Andrew. 

Great write-up, and a great guy!  All the stories of how nice he is are true from what I've seen.  At the 2006 Backyard Bastard Bash, Dave and I "tied" on the 1" vbar at 351lbs.  I put that in quotation marks because it was obvious to anyone watching that he could've gone a fair bit higher just to nip the win if he had wanted to.  He instead opted to try the same weight (375lbs) that I jumped to and we both missed it.  I don't think I budged it.  But he probably did.  His 1" vbar strength was superb.  It has been a pleasure to meet him and converse with him on the P&B over the years. 

Also, not sure how I didn't know you were a corrections officer!  I am one too.  Nothing like being known for having a very strong grip and working in a jail setting.  A strong grip is almost universally respected.

• Like 4

I'm also looking forward to reading Bob's profile!  He is another great guy. 

• Like 2

Nice read!