FBBC Stainless Bastard - Single IMPs

Buccos1

In almost 10 years of bending, I had never attempted a Stainless Bastard.  Not sure why, but I really had no interest or motivation to do it.  A few weeks ago, I decided I would finally try this milestone bend.  As with almost every other cert I've done, I wanted to do it in single IMPs.  Right before this bend, I made my first attempt and took it down to about a 3" spread, and it ended up getting completely stuck.  Although that bend took it's toll, I waited about 5 minutes and wrapped another one up, and ended up taking it down.  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voY7eMm9LnA

• Like 10

Great job Carl.  Those are tough to finish.  I have not got one past 2.5" yet.

• Like 1

Woot!!!

• Like 1

Congrats! Did I read that right that that was your first day training on it and you took it down? If so thats really excellent - great work!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Congrats! Did I read that right that that was your first day training on it and you took it down? If so thats really excellent - great work!

Thanks guys!  Anton - yeah, first time touching one.  I think the "new" Reds have helped lately with the kink, relative to taking down other stock.  The crush on the stainless was definitely a surprise.  Kinda like 3/8" brass.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

In almost 10 years of bending, I had never attempted a Stainless Bastard.  Not sure why, but I really had no interest or motivation to do it.  A few weeks ago, I decided I would finally try this milestone bend.  As with almost every other cert I've done, I wanted to do it in single IMPs.  Right before this bend, I made my first attempt and took it down to about a 3" spread, and it ended up getting completely stuck.  Although that bend took it's toll, I waited about 5 minutes and wrapped another one up, and ended up taking it down.  :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voY7eMm9LnA

I just watched your video again and your speed was great.  You never gave the stainless a chance to bind up, you kept attacking it.  I have been doing the Shiny in doubles and I feel like it binds up when I take off the outer wraps.  It ends up not wanting to move past 2.5".  The kink is easy for me, so I think the answer may be, doing it fast in singles so it can't bind up.  Thanks for the inspiration!

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Buccos1 said:

Thanks guys!  Anton - yeah, first time touching one.  I think the "new" Reds have helped lately with the kink, relative to taking down other stock.  The crush on the stainless was definitely a surprise.  Kinda like 3/8" brass.

Very cool - yea I just tried 3/8x7" brass two saturdays ago for the first time and took it down too - the crush was definitely the hardest part - I just checked the fbbc list and you did the golden bastard a while ago right? Glad to hear you finally checked the shiny off too! You got any plans to try the hexabastard? I've been attempting it in IMPs but the kink really hurts my hands and I've only managed a wobble

23 hours ago, Donc101 said:

I just watched your video again and your speed was great.  You never gave the stainless a chance to bind up, you kept attacking it.  I have been doing the Shiny in doubles and I feel like it binds up when I take off the outer wraps.  It ends up not wanting to move past 2.5".  The kink is easy for me, so I think the answer may be, doing it fast in singles so it can't bind up.  Thanks for the inspiration!

Thanks guys!  

Don - Yeah, give that a try.  It is tough on the hands but less-so with each session.  Same thing with the 3/8" brass.  No doubt you will do the same, especially after seeing some of your recent bends!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Very cool - yea I just tried 3/8x7" brass two saturdays ago for the first time and took it down too - the crush was definitely the hardest part - I just checked the fbbc list and you did the golden bastard a while ago right? Glad to hear you finally checked the shiny off too! You got any plans to try the hexabastard? I've been attempting it in IMPs but the kink really hurts my hands and I've only managed a wobble

Nice!  Thanks.  Yeah, I think I did the Golden (and Big and Huge) 3, 4, 5 years ago? ... can't keep track any more.  LOL  All done in single IMPs  :D  I've never tried the hexabastard.  I think I have a few from years ago ... maybe try one this summer.  

• Like 1

Yea I do all my bends in single IMPs too - I feel it better conditions my hands and pain tolerance - makes me deserve it more when I finally get it! I tried the hexabastard in 1 1/3 IMPs but I couldn't move it - gotta work on my flexibility for it I think

Strong work Carl!  Well done sir!!  

• Like 1

So glad to see you bending again Carl!!

Very well executed bend brother! You really smashed that ss with IMPs! Great work brother!

Cheers!

On June 7, 2017 at 9:17 AM, Anton.Torrella said:

Yea I do all my bends in single IMPs too - I feel it better conditions my hands and pain tolerance - makes me deserve it more when I finally get it! I tried the hexabastard in 1 1/3 IMPs but I couldn't move it - gotta work on my flexibility for it I think

Absolutely!  On the off-chance I use doubles during warmups, it feels really awkward too.

• Like 1

On June 13, 2017 at 10:47 AM, robertmiller67 said:

Strong work Carl!  Well done sir!!  

Thanks Robert!

• Like 1

Are you planning on attending SJ4 @Buccos1? There is going to be a bending contest and that just doesn't happen very often in the stated any more if at all. Also Andrew P. will bring a very bar for you to very on if interested. 

• Like 1

On June 14, 2017 at 11:39 AM, MANTHOS said:

So glad to see you bending again Carl!!

Very well executed bend brother! You really smashed that ss with IMPs! Great work brother!

Cheers!

Thanks Manthos!  Never really stopped ... just plugging away, keeping a maintenance level of around a Red (~440-465 single IMPs) for the past few years.  But, lately, I've been getting that "itch" to amp it up a little and take down some tougher stock.  

• Like 3

1 minute ago, acromegaman said:

Are you planning on attending SJ4 @Buccos1? There is going to be a bending contest and that just doesn't happen very often in the stated any more if at all. Also Andrew P. will bring a very bar for you to very on if interested. 

Originally, it was about 50-50, but it's not looking good now.  We are moving again ... that week.  :blink  And, with a newborn, and toddler, things have been pretty hectic and crazy.  At best, I might make a trip out for a few hours to see and meet people, and attempt a few bends.  One of the best things ever is a competitive-type setting for bends!  But, it'd be 5-6 hours each way, and turn out to be a pretty long day.  Leave in the morning, stay a few hours and then leave to be back the same day.  

• Like 3

Wow that is a crazy long day if you make it in one trip, especially with moving that week - I hope you do make it though, it'd be great to see you and bend in competition with you again - good luck gettin the move done!

2 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Wow that is a crazy long day if you make it in one trip, especially with moving that week - I hope you do make it though, it'd be great to see you and bend in competition with you again - good luck gettin the move done!

Thanks man.  Sadly, my gym is going to have to go into storage for a few weeks.  We're going to be making two moves now (family for about 2 weeks then to the new place).  Gotta love the closing process!  :dry

The plan is to take a squat rack/stand, barbell, 500-600lbs. of plates, and some grip-stuff to the in-laws, so I don't have to join a gym for a month. Everything else will be going into a storage locker.  :(  As far as SJ4, my only chance is to do the day-trip, but it is a possibility.  Would just have to have a few things fall in place.  

Would definitely be awesome to compete on some bends again!  Saw this on my Facebook page -- 5 years to the day of the Beast in the East 2 comp at Mike Krahling's.  That was one of the best times ever ... all-out competition with all styles of bending, including horseshoes and long bar.  

• Like 1

On 6/15/2017 at 4:53 PM, Buccos1 said:

Originally, it was about 50-50, but it's not looking good now.  We are moving again ... that week.  :blink  And, with a newborn, and toddler, things have been pretty hectic and crazy.  At best, I might make a trip out for a few hours to see and meet people, and attempt a few bends.  One of the best things ever is a competitive-type setting for bends!  But, it'd be 5-6 hours each way, and turn out to be a pretty long day.  Leave in the morning, stay a few hours and then leave to be back the same day.  

Yo.  I just got an extra air mattress. Leave Friday night.  Crash at my place and get a decent night sleep. Do the day right and leave after the bending.  Its not a perfectly ideal solution...but a HECK of a lot better than what you've described.

Once in a lifetime comp. Talk to the wifey.  See if you can make that schedule happen.  Maybe a mom or sister would like to help out for the day.  Can't hurt to ask.  You will come home exhausted...but mentally recharged!   Guaranteed.

• Like 2

Thats awesome your familys helpin u out - I still remember the buyin-a-house-nam syndrome I had 3 years ago too - I absolutely agree with nate if u can make it work - there'll be dutch people there too - where else in jersey you gettin that? I'm crashing there too = party - beast in the east sounds legendary but it'll prob be years after when were still talkin about sj4 too - just sayin!

• Like 1

On June 17, 2017 at 4:28 PM, anwnate said:

Yo.  I just got an extra air mattress. Leave Friday night.  Crash at my place and get a decent night sleep. Do the day right and leave after the bending.  Its not a perfectly ideal solution...but a HECK of a lot better than what you've described.

Once in a lifetime comp. Talk to the wifey.  See if you can make that schedule happen.  Maybe a mom or sister would like to help out for the day.  Can't hurt to ask.  You will come home exhausted...but mentally recharged!   Guaranteed.

I wouldn't be able to leave until late, and would end up getting little sleep Friday by the time I got there (2 or 3 am).  My only chance is to leave Saturday morning, if all cards fall into place.  We've already got people helping a ton with the kids and packing for the move, so that's maxed-out already.  :(

• Like 1