Eddie Hall winner WSM2017!

Kashtan

Just found this write up. Apparently Thor filed an official complaint and requested a review of that missed rep. The complaint was rejected and they didn't review it. https://grapevine.is/news/2017/05/29/hafthor-the-mountain-feels-robbed-of-worlds-strongest-title/

Edited by Chez

I find it interesting that people here want to call someone out for bad sportsmanship when we do that shit on this board all the time.

People are always trying to call into questions peoples lifts, attempts, cheating (thinking about that silver bullet hold)....etc. so and so had a wrist band...etc.

Until there is a video of it up here maybe hold off judgements.

4 minutes ago, Jared Goguen said:

Until there is a video of it up here maybe hold off judgements

There is a video of the rep in question. Its been posted on facebook, youtube etc.  I just can't post the link right now because I'm at work. It was a really close call.  

3 minutes ago, Chez said:

There is a video of the rep in question. Its been posted on facebook, youtube etc.  I just can't post the link right now because I'm at work. It was a really close call.  

Oh I didn't know that. I wasn't able to find it.

Eddie will most likely be out to improve his strict axle/log press and squat now as he has nothing to prove with deadlifting. 

Its sad really, he was only one not to congratulate eddie. Laurence and big z massive respect for them both, top blokes

1 minute ago, JoshW said:

Double dip of last rep

I can't watch it again right now but I watched it last night and I didn't see a double dip. Just my opinion. I thought the lockout was questionable though and a tough call. 

• Like 2

I'm glad Eddie won, he deserved it... This year's WSM favored static strength and Hall is the strongest competitor, by far. The most incredible thing to me is Eddie's weight - 195 kg at 190 cm height and his neck - 63.5 cm, that's insane. He said he's retiring and that he needs to shed at least 50 kg, since he's feeling like crap at this weight (who could imagine that :) ). 

The "Thor situation" is very strange, seems like a legitimate rep to me, the lockout seems a little fishy, but I'd pass it.

• Like 2

The whole Thor controversy is such a shame because in my opinion Eddie Hall was clearly the strongest man over the course of the event (it looked like he stopped at 15 reps on OHP because that's all he needed, not because he didn't have another rep in the tank and he clearly could have gone faster on the stones). Of course, this year the events did play to his strengths (three static strength movements - overhead press, squat and deadlift) and I don't think he is necessarily the most rounded strongman out there, but he did really well in the pull and could have gone faster on the stones too. At any rate, glad he won - hopefully he won't kill himself with the drugs/diet etc. now.

Would love to see him have a go at powerlifting, seems likely that he could post a huge total, perhaps in world record range right off the bat without even training specifically for powerlifting (although I have no idea how much he gets from the suit that I think he can wear in strongman competition - anyone who knows please do chip in!).

• Like 2

He is only young remember! 26?

Personally not sure if it was a double dip but he would have won anyway based on winning 5 events

Hopefully Thor will take this as Brian did a few years ago where he lost to Big Z for his rock bag that fell off the table there for lost that rep and lost the Gold. He said he fed off of that and the next year dominated the events. 

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎31‎/‎2017 at 9:37 AM, Jared Goguen said:

I find it interesting that people here want to call someone out for bad sportsmanship when we do that shit on this board all the time.

People are always trying to call into questions peoples lifts, attempts, cheating (thinking about that silver bullet hold)....etc. so and so had a wrist band...etc.

Until there is a video of it up here maybe hold off judgements.

Was this directed at me?

When have I ever questioned someone's lift or accused anyone of cheating? To the best of my knowledge, I'm really supportive of everyone on here. Not sure what I did to deserve this jab.

I had already seen the video, I actually literally started my post by saying I saw it on Thor's instagram lol.

I would have passed the lift and yet I still stand by what I said. When you're a top figure in the world and kids look up to you, it is bad sportsmanship to whine about a loss online, even if you don't agree with the call. If the call was truly that bad, then the fans will speak up on Thor's behalf, there is no need for him to say anything.

Sorry, I just don't think it was the way to go about the situation for him.

• Like 2

Anthony chill, I think he was talking generally.

What I see it is people make mistakes. No biggie. If I was the referee I would have passed it. I mean mistakes like this happen. Look at the last Olympics Behdad Salimi clearly would have won the Gold but one of the Juries and his wife who is also a jury didn't approve his lift (Iraqi vs Irani). I am NOT saying this was politics, but shit happens. And Hafthor was very angry (understandable) and talked out. No problem but next year he might do very good and win. But at least his appeal should have been reviewed as I don't believe WSM Org should treat his people like this. Another organization might show up too who will do better.