MGC Vol. 2

John McCarter

Missouri Grip Challenge Vol. II

July 7, 2018

Promoter: John McCarter
Start time: 9 am
Contest start time: 10 am

Mens: Lightweight (59kg, 66kg, 74kg), Middleweight (83kg, 93kg, 105kg), Heavyweight(120kg, 120kg+)
Womens: Open (47kg, 52kg, 57kg, 63kg, 72kg, 84kg, 84kg+)
Juniors: Open

4 attempts. Raising Bar on all events. Strongman Scoring will be used.

Event 1: One Hand Flask 
Event 2: 2" FBBC Crusher 
Event 3: IronMind Hub 
Event 4: Little Big Horn 
Event 5: One Hand Tips Tester

Challenge Event: competitors will attempt timed holds for a minute on 5 grip related items. 1/2/3 points will be awarded for every 10 seconds

Awards for top three overall finishers in their weight class

Overall winner in Men/Women/Junior will be awarded the title of Strongest Hands in Missouri.

This event is free. 

There may also be a flamethrower there for anyone who is into that. (This is subjective as it depends upon JT to bring it.)

Entry form: 

MGC VOL. II.pdf

• Like 6

For those that attended last year's MGC, the overall winner in the Men's Division (Gil Goodman) received an FBBC 2" Crusher. I plan to give away another prize but this time it won't be a Crusher, let's just say I have something up my sleeves.

I like the group of events you selected.

1 minute ago, Eric Roussin said:

I like the group of events you selected.

Thanks. I learned a lot from last years contest.

The Challenge event is going to be interesting as it will be a surprise for what people will attempt.

Let's make this an awesome contest! If you know someone who has never compete in a grip contest, inform them about this contest. All levels of strengths are welcomed: Newcomer, intermediate, Advanced.

If you need an extra means of getting them to come out, show them this: 
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Little update.

I want to think @Andrew P of FBBC. The 2" Crusher has come in and an Inch Trainer is waiting for someone to claim it as its prize in the men's overall winner.

Work has kept me busy so I haven't had time to sit and plan out the challenge events as I would like. What I can say for now for the challenge event is this. This will be my attempt to have a type of medley but done differently. Since I do not have a lot of items, these will be done in a static/isometric fashion. There will be 2-3 weights to choose from and it will determine the amounts of points (1-3) for every 10 seconds (until 60 seconds has been reached) or longest time accepted.

For the main lifts, let's just say I have something planned for now that could make things interesting. :ninja:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pushing the date of this event to the 16th of September. 

Meant to put this out last week but work has been really kept me busy. Finally, it is time to announce what will be used as the featured tools for the Challenge Event for MGC Vol. 2. Please note that this is not the order in which the events will be done.

1) Pickaxe Lever

2) Grip Machine: Men - Sorinex Pop's Gripper...Women - Warren Tetting Grip Machine

3) Double Anvil

4) 2" Wrist Roller

5) Double Mammoth Coin

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Sorry for not updating this sooner. I would first like to thank @Adam Juncker who has taken the time to create this awesome custom wall mount for grip items. Please note, the items pictured will not be included, only the wall mount. This will go to the overall winner of MGC VOL.II

Prize 1.jpg

prize2.jpg

prize3.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Update and possible delay to MGC 2

This is something I don't want to post but I actually need to give this update as it will affect M.G.C. Vol.II

Because of a certain incident that took place this past Saturday, my back has been giving me serious issues and has thrown me out of commision; I may have to change everything about my future in the world of lifting and grip. I posted else where about how bad it affect me. This is actually something that has me in a bind and and the possible future of the contest.

I don't want to cancel this event but if things don't change with my back, the only way I can make this event even work I may have to have help big time for the contest from people who are planning attending; the nuts and bolts of what's goes into the contest such as loading and unloading weights, keeping score, judging.

If that cannot happen, then the contest may actually have to be put on hold for a later date. I am genuinely sorry for any inconvenience to any person planning to attend.

John it sounds like you need to get to a Chiropractor.  I am a Chiropractor so if you have any questions just let me know.  I talked to you a lot at the after party and in the lobby the day after SJ4 mostly about the hub. I was with the Charlotte Pickup Artists. I just got your second book from Amazon yesterday. If you want PM me and I will give you my personal number to call.

3 minutes ago, AKJV1769 said:

John it sounds like you need to get to a Chiropractor.  I am a Chiropractor so if you have any questions just let me know.  I talked to you a lot at the after party and in the lobby the day after SJ4 mostly about the hub. I was with the Charlotte Pickup Artists. I just got your second book from Amazon yesterday. If you want PM me and I will give you my personal number to call.

I have an appointment set up with one in the morning, I'm seriously hoping they can help.

Cool and if you don't seem to be able to hold your adjustments you just need to take a little Manganese, as that if the key to holding adjustments.

This is sad news and not something I wanted to do

At the moment, I am having to postpone The Missouri Grip Challenge VOL II to a later date; this contest has not been canceled as it will be pushed to the end of the year or maybe sometime early-mid 2018. The  current state and physical well being of my back has gotten progressively worse. Attempting to run a contest at the moment is not possible in my current state of body and mind, it is affecting me on all levels and has forced me to consider a few things that I may have to do in both my professional and private life. I am sorry for anyone who was planning to attend in the following weeks.

John McCarter

5 hours ago, jvance said:

Hope you heal up man. Back injuries are brutal.

Thanks man. It's thrown everything out of the window that I had planned.

Main thing is to get better and work on new goals and become better than before.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The second M.G.C. is back on and if anyone is ready to attack some heavy weights come on out and attempt the Missouri Grip Challenge.

All levels are welcomed to compete.

• Like 1

Everything has been updated as this contest is now on August 4, 2018. Plenty of time to train and get some air on these lifts.

• 4 months later...

Just a short post until I can add more information later.

Sorry for not putting more of an effort into this contest by promoting the crap out of it, but now is better than never. If you've never been to a contest, or a dozen, come on out, have some fun, lift heavy, break a few pr's, drink a little and have a killer time.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, John McCarter said:

Just a short post until I can add more information later.

Sorry for not putting more of an effort into this contest by promoting the crap out of it, but now is better than never. If you've never been to a contest, or a dozen, come on out, have some fun, lift heavy, break a few pr's, drink a little and have a killer time.

If that didn't happen to be on my wife's birthday, I'd be really tempted to find my way down there from NYC.  But if I did that on her birthday, well, it might be the last thing I ever did lol.  Hope to see you at another event soon!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Vinnie said:

If that didn't happen to be on my wife's birthday, I'd be really tempted to find my way down there from NYC.  But if I did that on her birthday, well, it might be the last thing I ever did lol.  Hope to see you at another event soon!

Don't upset the wife. It would be cool seeing you at mgc but don't find a way to get yourself killed lol.

I'm sure we will meet again down the road.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Long overdue post and update about MGC. So people know what is going on, I am having to move the date of the contest up for next month because I'm going to be training for a Corrections Officer position in the state of Missouri and the DOC over the following weeks; once in the facility my time may become crazy due to the fact that I currently have know idea if I'll be able to host MGC at the said date in a few months from now. I apologize if this conflict with anyone's schedule and how soon it will have to be as it gives no one time to actually train for it.

The date of the contest is now 7/07/2018.

• Thanks 1

The contest is now updated with the correct information.

Are you still going to have a flame thrower?

3 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

Are you still going to have a flame thrower?

Only if JT can make it. If that doesn't happen then we can find something to make one :fear