Arsen Liliev? Anomaly?

Urzuk

I don't understand how is a guy with small hands be if not the strongest top roller, he could top roll guys like denis cyplenkov.

What sorcery is this? I mean people with small hands are not made to be top rollers right? They should be hooking.

Because normally guys with shorter heights and hands like Zoloev or Babaev always go for the hook as their main move, to sort of nulify hand size differences right?

Edited by Urzuk
  • Like 1

Gary Goodridge is another example of this phenomenon. 6'3" tall, but relatively small hands. He could top roll with the best of them!

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Eric Roussin said:

Gary Goodridge is another example of this phenomenon. 6'3" tall, but relatively small hands. He could top roll with the best of them!

That's what im talking about, but arsen is even shorter than him being at 6 feet, i can't believe how he does it.

I always thought that small hands were always weaker then bigger hands, i can't understand how he has such strong small hands, just doesn't seem possible from a physiological standpoint...

• Like 1

From what Richard Lupkes said in his super match with Arsen (in which Arsen pretty much annihilated him-no disrespect to Richard), is that his thumbs were so small (in the set up) Richard had to choke down on his hand to the point it was an actually an advantage for Arsen. This would tend to dump Richards wrist forward which would give Arsen a natural top-rolling position advantage. I don't understand it ether but I do think this had to be a major way he tended to capitalize on this seeming weakness, as his record speaks for itself.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AKJV1769 said:

From what Richard Lupkes said in his super match with Arsen (in which Arsen pretty much annihilated him-no disrespect to Richard), is that his thumbs were so small (in the set up) Richard had to choke down on his hand to the point it was an actually an advantage for Arsen. This would tend to dump Richards wrist forward which would give Arsen a natural top-rolling position advantage. I don't understand it ether but I do think this had to be a major way he tended to capitalize on this seeming weakness, as his record speaks for itself.

So the point that arsen is trying to prove is, you can be a strong top roller nonetheless your small hand size?

4 hours ago, Urzuk said:

So the point that arsen is trying to prove is, you can be a strong top roller nonetheless your small hand size?

Is he off the juice ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger Roberson said:

Is he off the juice ?

Not putting the juice into the equation, because many of the top heavyweight arm wrestlers are on the juice, you can see it clearly. He's just fighting fire with fire.

The juice doesn't change the fact he has a very small hand and be one of the strongest top rollers.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Urzuk said:

Yes but I think his lighting fast hit (despite his small hand) seemed to just overwhelm so many of his opponents, if you look at his previous footage.

Why would Arsen need big hand for people to hold on to his hand? He is so fast his opponents usually end up holding on to his hand while he does his perfected move with enormous power. His arm strength can be seen in straps against strongest of 'em. I hope he can make a comeback.

• 1 month later...
On 5/24/2017 at 5:10 PM, Urzuk said:

That's what im talking about, but arsen is even shorter than him being at 6 feet, i can't believe how he does it.

I always thought that small hands were always weaker then bigger hands, i can't understand how he has such strong small hands, just doesn't seem possible from a physiological standpoint...

Opinion of an ultra beginner:

Based on this video I think that he improved his wrist and forearm strength. (Arsen LILIEV vs Denis CYPLENKOV 2013https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G6iUHEj6LSQ

To me it looks like Liliev was having a hard time cupping his hand. In the video you posted, Liliev's wrist looks much more solid and cupped, so now he will be able to better hold the guy after the flash, and then change technique if needed.

Edited by eugenep
changed words from "hook" to "cup", it's the proper term

On 5/25/2017 at 3:48 AM, Eric Roussin said:

Leaving all that aside. Is it within the rules to jump underneath the table like Arsen?

If he keeps his elbow on the pad and his hand on the peg, then yes.