The Gripmas Carol

climber511

41 minutes ago, climber511 said:

The Medley is a work in progress - some places are "ideas" only at this point.  What I really wanted was to show a list of possible events so that people can train them.  All the items shown will not be used and weights etc are subject to change (except for you Chez - I kinda like what this will do to you :))

I get it Chris. But to get 3 points for the one hand flask I have to break the current record Jedd just set in KK by roughly 5.5 lbs. Food for thought on that one. 

1 hour ago, climber511 said:

The Medley is a work in progress - some places are "ideas" only at this point.  What I really wanted was to show a list of possible events so that people can train them.  All the items shown will not be used and weights etc are subject to change (except for you Chez - I kinda like what this will do to you :))

I bet the light one will be .66*BW the medium will be .8*BW and the heavy will be .9*BW, yeah?

Is that a problem tho? Why should every medley item be within everybody's reach? Some of the climbing feats also look impossible for guys approaching 300, what's the difference.

6 minutes ago, Climber028 said:

Is that a problem tho? Why should every medley item be within everybody's reach? Some of the climbing feats also look impossible for guys approaching 300, what's the difference.

never said they had to be within everyone's reach. 

I'd like to start a separate thread about this topic - let's please take this discussion over there

15 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I'd like to start a separate thread about this topic - let's please take this discussion over there

of course. I don't want to take over the thread. 

To stop a couple guys I can think of it will have to be like 1.25 x BW :)

Chris, do I mail you a check for entry fee or do you do PayPal or something else? Thanks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Donc101 said:

Chris, do I mail you a check for entry fee or do you do PayPal or something else? Thanks.

PMed you.

I’ve had big medleys ever since Gripmas started and never really posted what was in it before.  I was accused of that giving me an advantage which is no doubt true to a point – but I’ve never won a Medley yet so it’s not enough of an advantage :).  But when you look at what’s in my Medley year after year what you see is every grip item we all use all the time.  Very few things ever show up that people aren’t posting videos of all the time.  So if you train “everything” my Medley should work out just fine for you.

So here’s the deal – Gripmas is having a Medley – all fixed weights – nothing related to body weight – no thought as to hand size either.  It will look something like what was posted but not exactly – some things have been made lighter – some the same – but nothing heavier anywhere.  Not all items will be included.  Gripmas is Dec 9th – if you want to try the Gripmas Medley – come and give it a go – it will have a little of everything for your gripping pleasure.  If my Medley is a deal breaker for you I am sorry – but I started holding contests in 2003 and have never held one yet where I made everybody happy – sounds like this year will be no different.  I asked the honest question of how to make it better and pretty much you all saw what a sh..show that ending being like. 

This will be the last time there will be a Medley for Gripmas – not because of this but because next year I have a completely different format in mind – something not really

seen before.

Entry deadline is approaching – please get your entries in if you’re coming.  Hope to see you soon.

I enjoyed last years medley.  I enjoyed the challenges that would only be available the Gripmas such as the climbing stuff.  Check is going in the mail tomorrow.

• Like 2

I'm still planning to be there....  Check going in the mail tomorrow! 

• Like 2

For those familiar with the problems with the light closure system we had before on the ISG - be aware that has been fixed.  The light closes upon contact and goes off when contact is lost now.

• Like 1

One week left to sign up for The Gripmas Carol

I had a question posed to me about the Double Sledge Lever event.  It is quite a bit different than doing single hammers free standing.  With the double there is really no side to side balance issues so it seems you can exert force straight ahead better.  Arms are supported also gives a different feel which helps.  Mentally the safety rack takes away the fear of braining yourself which helps.  I built the safety rack so it doesn't quite reach your head/face so you may not have to go quite as deep as you have in practice.  All together this means you can do more weight easier than if you had two unsupported and not bolted together hammers as a single unit.  Is it still hard - yep - but not nearly as hard as the way you feel it when practicing at home with singles.  There will be time to try the 2 weights before we start to decide which one you want.

I need 2 more Flasks for the Medley at Gripmas.  If you have one please bring it!  I have loading pins.

Also a pair of 55# or 25K steel plates.

Also please bring any challenge items you might have.

• Like 1

Can somebody bring a 3in axle or even the Durniat Axle.  Adam Glass would set it on top of a rack and simply hang or do wrist flexions.  He would challenge people to simply hang on it and nobody could.  I think it would be a cool challenge for us.

3 hours ago, Leonard_Washington said:

Can somebody bring a 3in axle or even the Durniat Axle.  Adam Glass would set it on top of a rack and simply hang or do wrist flexions.  He would challenge people to simply hang on it and nobody could.  I think it would be a cool challenge for us.

I have a 2 3/8" one but nothing 3" - maybe Andrew Pantke?  Wouldn't have to be an axle - a piece of 3" pipe would work fine.  Be quite the open hand climbing hold :)

Chris I can bring a flask as well. 

So my gear to bring list is:
20# Hammer, Pair of Slim 8# hammers, Flask, 2-3/8" Andrew' Axle. 

I have the 3" axle you made me a few years back if you want me to bring that I can as well. 

31 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

I have the 3" axle you made me a few years back if you want me to bring that I can as well. 

31 minutes ago, Andrew P said:

There is a request 2 posts above for a 3" axle to try in the Rack so please bring it if you have room.  Are the 8's bolted together already like for the contest?

Yes this is the ones I trained on the first time you ran the hammers. 

IMG_1750.JPG

• Like 2

On 11/1/2017 at 3:13 PM, Chez said:

I get it Chris. But to get 3 points for the one hand flask I have to break the current record Jedd just set in KK by roughly 5.5 lbs. Food for thought on that one. 

Well, since you weigh so much, your grip should be THAT MUCH stronger than everyone else's @Chez.  Just ask Mikael.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Gripmas 2017 Signed Up

Paid

1.     Chris Rice

2.     Jedd Johnson

3.     Chris Andrede

4.     Nate Brous

5.     Rich Cottrell

6.     Donald Cummings

7.     Jason Gonzalez

8.     Anthony Clarino

9.     Cesare Ricchezza

10.  Nick Rosendaul

11.  Andrew Pantke

12.  Anton Torrella

13.  Josh Henze    

BBarrett Henze

2.     Jason Henze

If you signed up but don't see your name - let me know ASAP.  If you put a check in the mail already - let me know that too please.  If you were a lazy dog and didn't sign up but want to come now - let me know that too please LOL

Edited by climber511
  • Like 5