The Gripmas Carol

climber511

Gripmas 2017 will be held December the 9th.  No clue on events yet.  Just wanted people to know is all.  Next year will be the last one I think and will feature some of the stranger event I came up with over the years - a sort of blast from the past.  This year will be more conventional events I think.  Details will be announced after I figure them out :).

• Like 13

Can't wait, especially since I had to miss in 2016.

• Like 2

Safe to say, expect me again as my wife just approved the trip.

Ambasador Brous also was given the go-a-head so I hope not to have to make the trip solo this year.  

And  I thank you for announcing this event early enough for me to clear a landing.

Rich

• 3 months later...

2017 Gripmas Carol Entry

Date: Saturday - December 9th, 2017

The Yol Bosun Gym

230 Burley St

Crooksville, Ohio43731

December 9, 2017

Weigh In will begin at 8 AM

All NAGS weight classes will be held.  There will be women’s classes if any sign up.

Rules at 9:30

Contest Start Time - 10 AM

Events

·       ISG with light system

·       Euro – normal rules – no warmups on the competition set up – there will be a warm up apparatus.  Each width will be done – then the next width etc.

·       The Infamous Gripmas Medley – will include just a couple Climbing Oriented tests – 3 versions – light (1 point) – heavy (2 points) – really heavy (3 points) - and Ladies.  Order will be the reverse of overall placement after the events previous.  Probably a little shorter Medley than years past.

·       Supported double sledge to head for reps – you can say “ouch” now J.  Weight to be determined.  Order will be the reverse of overall placement after the events previous.

·       Depending on time another surprise event is possible

NAGS percentage type scoring will be used - Same as in years past. 

Entry fee is $40 and must be received by November 15th.  There will be NO late entries this year – if you are coming be signed up on time.  All weight classes will be contested for record purposes.  Prizes will only be awarded to classes with 3 or more people.

A women’s class will be held if there is any interest.  Please sign up far in advance as I will have to figure out the Medley weights etc.

There will be the normal Liability Waiver to sign as well. 

Name:

Grip Board Name (if you have one):

Address:

Email Address:

Expected Weight class:

Expected Euro Pinch width if known:

Signature: 

Make checks payable to Chris Rice

• Like 1

Hey Chris. I think you posted a video of that double sledge overhead setup a while back. Can you re post it in this thread. also, will you list the medley items ahead of time?

The setup will be slightly different but basically the same as this one.  I gave this one away a few years ago.  The one shown here was a max weight event and this time will be for most reps with a weight to be determined still.

I can list the Medley items as I figure them out but if you look at last year it will be very close.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

I have never used a ISG.  How does it compare to coc grippers? Thanks.

It's different - but the strong nutcracker style gripper guys are still the strong guys on the ISG.  The big difference I think is there is no setting with the ISG.  You place it in your hand and squeeze it as is - it's hard to explain - but there's no learning curve to it really like you have on a COC type gripper.

33 minutes ago, Donc101 said:

2 hand euro Chris?

Yes Euro is 2 hands.  All widths that can be made with the normal spacers will be contested.

• Like 1

Only a 6 hour drive, and climbing oriented feats is making this real tempting tho I'm terrified of that double sledge setup

1 hour ago, Climber028 said:

Only a 6 hour drive, and climbing oriented feats is making this real tempting tho I'm terrified of that double sledge setup

Nothing to be afraid of - the "rack" keeps you from braining yourself :)

• 2 weeks later...

I won't say where or even when I heard about this but I have heard rumors of some pretty strange shenanigans being pulled on a pinch event somewhere.  I want to assure everyone that no such BS will be allowed at Gripmas now or ever.  Everyone will use the same chalk bucket - either mine or chalk I have approved personally and that is available to all) - the cleaning methods allowable will be explained thoroughly before the event and breaking the rules will disqualify you from THE CONTEST entirely.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

In terms of the sledge event, are you planning on having one weight that all competitors use, or a lighter version which yields less points?

I get that this is an event for reps, was just wondering what happens in the event a competitor can't perform even one rep with the fixed weight.

• Thanks 1

I'm thinking two weights will be necessary (not sure what to do if we have a ladies class yet but I'll figure something).  The goal is to challenge everyone but still have everyone complete several reps.

But the base sledges are 10# each so the setup itself starts at 20# if you want to train for that at least.  It's easy to add weight to the base so we'll see what the heavy version might be.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, climber511 said:

I'm thinking two weights will be necessary (not sure what to do if we have a ladies class yet but I'll figure something).  The goal is to challenge everyone but still have everyone complete several reps.

But the base sledges are 10# each so the setup itself starts at 20# if you want to train for that at least.  It's easy to add weight to the base so we'll see what the heavy version might be.

Gotcha, thanks Chris.

On 9/18/2017 at 2:27 PM, Tank Andrade said:

love that sledge setup ! hope to make it this year Chris

Hope to see you here !

31 minutes ago, Tank Andrade said:

full length handles on those sledges Chris ?

Handles are 31"

any idea on the heavier sledge weight and the medley items yet Chris. 

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for not really keeping up on everything but I just returned from a climbing trip to Greece which was awesome - but left little time for Gripmas preparation and training.  I still have to make the sledge safety setup as I gave the old one away.  It won't take long to put the Medley together so not all that much to do.  I did fall hiking down off a climb and think I busted a few ribs which are giving me fits right now but won't stop the contest from going forward - just going to mean little to no training is going to happen for me personally it appears.

Two hand pinch rules

Some of you may already be in the loop but there was a contest held not long ago where some very unethical things were done (at least in my opinion) - I want to make sure no weird stuff is going to be tolerated at Gripmas.  There has never been a problem here and I want it to stay that way

·       The only acceptable thing to use on your hands is a regular chalk (either block or powder) I have inspected and approved in advance of the start of the comp and that may then be used by any/all competitors.  There will be no such thing as a “personal chalk”.  Anything used has to be on the platform next to my bucket of chalk and open to use by anyone.

·       You may “lightly” clean off the surface of the plates before gripping.  If you want a “clean” surface – you may rotate the entire apparatus to a clean position.  You may not apply any wetting agent at all to the plates or your hands – this is grounds for disqualification from the contest – PERIOD!  I have to inspect any rag – brush etc that you touch the plates or your hands with.

·       You may wash your hands prior to the event or use wipes prior to the event – and by that I mean like ten minutes prior to the event – not 30 seconds.  Any thing I deem as trying to take an unfair advantage will result in a disqualification – the Gripmas reputation is something I value rather highly.

·      

• Like 3

On 10/8/2017 at 11:59 PM, Chez said:

any idea on the heavier sledge weight and the medley items yet Chris. 

The Medley will be very close to what was in last years.  The heavier sledge weight is yet to be determined - light will probably be 20# and heavy I need to work on some.  I want to challenge all the "big boys" but not bury them - maybe 30 to 32# - I just don't know yet.  I don't want a weight where everyone does 30 reps or something crazy like that.  There will be no "bouncing" off the rack so it won't be easy I assure you.