Your Dynamometer Pull

Beast_Incarnate

Apologies if this is a copy-cat of an existing thread! 

Wondering what everyone involved in grip training can pull (lbs/kgs)

Out of curiosity I searched for the average citizen and what he may pull, although taking into consideration, this is someone who may not regard grip with as much importance as we do!

StatsCan (yes Canadian, this is a survey bureau for Canada) has listed on their site; the average male grip strength for each age group: I've sensibly included the link for all to source!

The strongest age group were:

•  Males aged 24-39 was 48.5 kgs (106.7 lbs), with the standard deviation being 10.3 kgs (20.66 lbs)

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/82-003-x/2016010/article/14665/tbl/tbl01-eng.htm

I purchased this toy a few days ago, arrived yesterday...while it may not be an official baseline like all you rich-kids can afford, it gives a general idea of where I may be, and will serve value in my training.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00CTOZGO0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hands are still blistered, swollen, and numb from the last heavy workout, but I seemed to have topped out at these readings with this "Deyard".

• 61.9 kgs (136 lbs) for my left hand (1.3 SD above average) (three fingers, injury hand)
  • 72.5 kgs (160 lbs) for my right hand dominate. (2.33 SD above average)

Not going to daydream a false number I could pull if I was fresh, no sense doing that anyways. 

I want to include this, as I often use this post as a source, and it seems to be quite close to par! Well Done to the creator if he is still active. The very first post goes through the expected Dyno readings of the CoC closes ranging from 1.5 to 4.

Would be very intrigued to get a discussion going about truthful numbers of what fellow members can pull, I know I'm not elite myself but I'm also looking for some inspiration as well from some of the veteran's as well.

Edited by Beast_Incarnate

Are we talking forearm on a flat surface, ultra strict, no body movement squeeze?
 Or standing and giving it your all like you would with an actual torsion spring gripper?

Also, as far as comparing dyno numbers to coc gripper closes, id only really compare the dyno with grippers choked to parallel.  Too many variables to determine carry over when dealing with setting the gripper in your hand and finger length.

Edited by Daniel Fleming

5 hours ago, Daniel Fleming said:

Are we talking forearm on a flat surface, ultra strict, no body movement squeeze?
 Or standing and giving it your all like you would with an actual torsion spring gripper?

Also, as far as comparing dyno numbers to coc gripper closes, id only really compare the dyno with grippers choked to parallel.  Too many variables to determine carry over when dealing with setting the gripper in your hand and finger length.

In my opinion, the only way a dyno should be measured and its results honored would be the same way you'd test in an OT setting, with no cheating as you mention. Just your raw grip output being measured with no other means that may inflate the pull allowed. Why cheat and claim a number that you can't even pull in the first place right? That's why "jerkers" really crack me up.

Proper form has you:

• sitting down, only one hand being tested with no interference from the other, with,
  • elbow locked at side.

You didn't answer the question my friend ;)

6 hours ago, Hubgeezer said:

The thread you referenced in August, 2010 was very good and had solid information in it.

Yeah one of my favorites, if not thee favorite post of mine on this beautiful site we all call The GripBoard! Google has directed me many a times to this site when googling grip related questions a beginner may ask, its how I found it and am grateful for its abundance of answers! 

Such a cool guy for posting it, my appreciation goes out for its applicable and very interesting data that I find myself continuously going back to for reference with my dynamometer and various Captains of Crush grippers.

For an accounting master student myself; having the data there ready for me to easily organize and better-track for myself, is absolutely orgasmic.

-Coming back from being sedated (dental work), if the post is off, might be the reason!

May 12 2017

LH 62.8 kgs (138.2 lbs) (+0.9 kgs from yesterday)
RH 75.4 kgs (166 lbs) (+2.9 kgs from yesterday)

*Chalked*

LH 63.9 kgs (140.4 lbs)
RH 77.4 kgs (170.3 lbs)

My palms began to sweat a little, I thought it'd be interesting to measure any difference it may make for myself:

LH 63.9-62.8= +1.1 kgs
RH 77.4-75.4= +2.0 kgs

I'm telling ya guys I really, really want to hit 80 kgs so badly! Monday May 15th, I have an evaluation for my left hand that's being considered for long-term disability, they'll be evaluating my index finger that's had 2 flexor tendon surgeries, but dispite all efforts...it's gone.

My therapist will test overall sensation, ROM for each joint of the index (miserable fail coming), and the 3rd test is GRIP STRENGTH!

I know to gain 5 kgs in grip strength in 3 days isn't even a guarantee with a whole lot of negatives but that also leaves me with no time to recover before Monday afternoon.

My hands are in the process of healing from just that! Explains the almost 3 kg increase in my dominate hand, however that's simply recovery numbers. 

I top out at 64/75 kgs, for the veterans out there, any tips on how I can increase while considering recovery as well before Monday's evaluation comes?

15 minutes ago, Hubgeezer said:

My advice? Do nothing, except some light gripper work. The rest would do you good.

Appreciate your advice, as a power-lifter myself, I can't say you're wrong. Rest is often neglected.

I have the same one, so I can give you a comparison. 

On my right hand at the middle mark on the size adjustment, I can squeeze above 90KG regularly. Then dynamometer itself says it only does up to 90KG, but the highest you can actually get to register is 90.6KG. After that it just says 'ERR'. 

With my left hand at the same size I can squeeze between 80-84KG pretty regularly, though it depends on when I last ate, time of day etc.

I have closed my #3 (unsure of rating) set to parallel (working on doing it consistently so I can get MM0 cert) with my right hand, and can close my #2.5, which is a pretty hard #2.5, with my left hand at just over parallel. I have a GHP6 rated at 137# which I can close for 5 reps set at parallel with my right hand, for comparison.

Hope this helps.

I have a text file buried somewhere from when I first got into grip that has dyno numbers and some gripper info, but currently for me, when I hit 170 on a baseline I can close a 130 rgc 2.5 choked to parallel. 160 on the dyno, a 124 rgc rb210 (also coked parallel) with a little left in the tank. 

I think I was at 127 right 124 left when I first got a jamar hydraulic (just like a baseline) and now I'm up to 160-170 right, 150-160 left. Always slow/strict squeezes.

P.s. keep an eye on ebay, they go dirt cheap sometimes. I have a few I need to get rid of because I couldn't pass them up.

Edited by wobbler

@Beast_Incarnate  

I don't consider it cheating if you do it standing and jerking the dyno, its just a different way of squeezing it.
We have used it a couple of times in competition up here in Canada and everyone got to pull standing.
It was a digital baseline dyno so there was no needle to move.

As far as my numbers:
Strict on the baseline digital dyno ive done 215lbs/97.5kg  
Heaviest gripper ive closed choked to parallel was rgc 200

I've done 90.0 kg with the "Camry". I think choked grippers is the only right way to compare since the setting becomes such a huge part of closing big grippers. I have never tried my max with choked grippers but I've done 12 singles in a row (in the same workout) from 25 mm with a hard COC#3. I have not tried the camry in a long while now but I think I would squeeze over 90 kg consistently now if I tried.

23 hours ago, BenMorrissey said:

I have the same one, so I can give you a comparison. 

On my right hand at the middle mark on the size adjustment, I can squeeze above 90KG regularly. Then dynamometer itself says it only does up to 90KG, but the highest you can actually get to register is 90.6KG. After that it just says 'ERR'. 

With my left hand at the same size I can squeeze between 80-84KG pretty regularly, though it depends on when I last ate, time of day etc.

I have closed my #3 (unsure of rating) set to parallel (working on doing it consistently so I can get MM0 cert) with my right hand, and can close my #2.5, which is a pretty hard #2.5, with my left hand at just over parallel. I have a GHP6 rated at 137# which I can close for 5 reps set at parallel with my right hand, for comparison.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the reply BenMorrissey, 

That's amazing, to be able to squeeze over 90 kgs regularly. And your comment regarding the error message made me chuckle of the future possibility of me doing just so!

My left hand is behind in regards to my right hand as well, I guess you can only see the 6-10 kg difference you mention for yourself, but your right hand would certainly pull past 90kgs! I know you could for sure!

Personally I'm seeing a trend of approximately 13 kgs in difference since I've received my dynamometer a few days ago, but I've significantly closed that gap of what "once was", when I could only pull 22.56 kgs 15 months ago (02/2016) after my second tendon surgery.

My goal for Monday is to pull 65kg with my left, I think my physiotherapist would literally defecate herself (keeping it PG) after witnessing the painfully slow progression since, I think the last time I saw her 7-8 months ago I topped out at 48 kgs with my left hand, and even then she was saying a near 50 kgs is a very good pull. "Notice how she didn't say strong...ouch".

It's funny I say this while still not getting the 2.5 to "sing" for me (RH), I'm looking forward to when I "earn my strips" and get the CoC 3 cert, and later challenge for those MM certifications, MASH MONSTER BABY! You my friend must be having the time of your life right now in regards to your grip career, and I'm really saying that sincerely!

-have a nice day!

16 hours ago, wobbler said:

I have a text file buried somewhere from when I first got into grip that has dyno numbers and some gripper info, but currently for me, when I hit 170 on a baseline I can close a 130 rgc 2.5 choked to parallel. 160 on the dyno, a 124 rgc rb210 (also coked parallel) with a little left in the tank. 

I think I was at 127 right 124 left when I first got a jamar hydraulic (just like a baseline) and now I'm up to 160-170 right, 150-160 left. Always slow/strict squeezes.

P.s. keep an eye on ebay, they go dirt cheap sometimes. I have a few I need to get rid of because I couldn't pass them up.

Thanks for the reply wobbler

If it's alright with you, please post that text file if you happen to come across it! I bet there's a lot of fascinating information on there! I've currently got the "choke" on the 2 (I duct tape over to avoid a the possible catastrophe) but I'm getting real close with the 2.5 parallel close as well, congratulations my friend for getting there! 

It sounds like you're a little farther ahead of the game than I am! Are you up for a challenge @wobbler? If your current pull today is (165) 75kg/(155) 70kgs, Let me know if you're up for the call, and I'll name the challenge! Come on you got the new kid calling you out! LOL

ALL IN GOOD FUN THOUGH :) 

I'll take your advice for the slow/strict squeezes, thank you!

How much (if you consider) would you sell your least expensive dynamometer for? What is the maximum poundage of the model? 

-have a nice day!

15 hours ago, Daniel Fleming said:

@Beast_Incarnate  

I don't consider it cheating if you do it standing and jerking the dyno, its just a different way of squeezing it.
We have used it a couple of times in competition up here in Canada and everyone got to pull standing.
It was a digital baseline dyno so there was no needle to move.

As far as my numbers:
Strict on the baseline digital dyno ive done 215lbs/97.5kg  
Heaviest gripper ive closed choked to parallel was rgc 200

Thanks for the reply Daniel Fleming, 

I'm still very new to grippers and the only real life setting of which a dyno has been used that I've seen is the medical setting of which I've tested with in physio.

I've never been in any grip strongman competitions, but it one of my many dreams of course, when I'm stronger I will challenge..my time will come.

It's very inspiring to see you with those kind of numbers, a very strong grip you have! You're getting close to 3 digits my man!

I apologize for any offence taken, but it's pride we all share as grip athletes right?

That's good they allow you to stand, I think you can pull slightly more standing with the core and shoulder activation you'll benefit from, and it makes everyone feel a hell of lot less formal by NOT making everybody sit down LOL!

Let us know when you hit the BIG 100!

-have a nice day!

6 hours ago, Fist of Fury said:

I've done 90.0 kg with the "Camry". I think choked grippers is the only right way to compare since the setting becomes such a huge part of closing big grippers. I have never tried my max with choked grippers but I've done 12 singles in a row (in the same workout) from 25 mm with a hard COC#3. I have not tried the camry in a long while now but I think I would squeeze over 90 kg consistently now if I tried.

Thanks for the reply Fist of Fury....sick user name by the way dude

Choked grippers - I'm finding is helping with closing that gap, and like Ronnie Coleman always said "Ain't nothing to it, but to do it" but it's alot of pressure you're putting your hands through and through and it's damn tough to keep that strength where you want it consistently through those consecutive workouts multiple days in a row, just talking about it and I couldn't resist, started doing some reps with my 2 LOL

I'm trying to rest my hands before my evaluation Monday however to maximize my test score.

That's amazing how sissy you must've made that CoC 3 gripper feel, must've been a feat to see for sure!

Sounds like you should invest in a baseline or Jamar if money ever falls from the sky! However, @wobbler mentioned if you keep your eyes peeled you may come across a cheap one! I'm looking now myself.

• Like 2

The good dynamo's are a bit pricey but I've found one that's made in Russia by SilaRukov which is not so expensive and it goes all the way to 140 kg. I'm thinking of buying one. I don't think they are practical training tools and that's why I have not invested in a high quality one. If you want to increase your dynamo numbers, definitely train with grippers in chokers. Here's a very good training method for it, which I've had success with: https://gripperstrength.wordpress.com/2008/05/07/choker-work-on-grippers/

Just keep in mind that it does not carry-over directly to closing grippers, you need to practice the setting for that. But it will make your hands stronger and it will surely bring your numbers on the dynamo up very effectively.

Saturday
May 13th,

LH 66.1 kg (145.42 lbs) (+3.3 kgs from yesterday)
RH 78.0 kg (172.00 lbs) (+2.6 kgs from yesterday)

Both pulls today I'm quite proud of! Glad to get a verifiable confirmation my left hand is healing similar to my right after last weeks grueling week long negatives marathon LOL!

It's not Elite, nor is it advanced, but continuously seeing progression and that's what we get dressed for everyday!

~Here's my rate of recovery if anyone cares LOL Wonky data for sure!~

May 10: Received Dynamometer (Pulled LH 61.3 kgs or 134.86 lbs, RH 70.7 kgs or 155.54 lbs)
May 11 ( LH+0.6 kg / 1.32 lb, RH+1.8kg / 3.96 lb)
May 12 (LH+0.9 kg /1.98 lb, RH+2.9 kg /6.38 lb)

May 13 (LH+3.3 kg /7.26 lb, RH+2.6 kg /5.72 lb)

Maybe...just maybe I can pull 80 kgs for my physiotherapist Joyce this Monday! But my right hand isn't the focus in that particular setting...

If I can pull 65kgs/143 lbs and 80 kgs/176 lbs on Monday, I'll be quite pleased with myself. Gotta get me some protein first! There's some mighty fine chicken in the fridge too!

22 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

The good dynamo's are a bit pricey but I've found one that's made in Russia by SilaRukov which is not so expensive and it goes all the way to 140 kg. I'm thinking of buying one. I don't think they are practical training tools and that's why I have not invested in a high quality one. If you want to increase your dynamo numbers, definitely train with grippers in chokers. Here's a very good training method for it, which I've had success with: https://gripperstrength.wordpress.com/2008/05/07/choker-work-on-grippers/

Just keep in mind that it does not carry-over directly to closing grippers, you need to practice the setting for that. But it will make your hands stronger and it will surely bring your numbers on the dynamo up very effectively.

Thanks for the link! I checked it out and the progressive release technique is something I've already applied to my training, neat to see it officially in an article! Just came to my mind one day, and in theory it was a good idea.

That's great! 130 kgs (308 lbs) is all you'll ever need! Have you got a link for that model? May I ask you for it?

Any advice for the setting technique? And would it be worth it getting KPA?

1 minute ago, Beast_Incarnate said:

Thanks for the link! I checked it out and progressive release technique I've already applied to my training, neat to see it officially in an article! Just came to my mind one day, and in theory it was a good idea.

That's great! 130 kgs (308 lbs) is all you'll ever need! Have you got a link for that model? May I ask you for it?

Any advice for the setting technique? And would it be worth it getting KPA?

Sure: http://mrstronghands.com/dynamometer_dk_140e

For setting technique, watch Paul Knight's video on youtube "how to set a gripper" you'll find it easily on the tube.

You can get your setting strength up by practicing with heavy grippers and also with very light grippers using only your setting hand (with the light grippers).

Try do some choker work and then throw in some medium to heavy singles. Singles is better than reps when trying to get your setting technique down since you need to do more setting than if you're doing reps. 

If you only do choker workouts your fingers will become strong in that particular position only, which is a way more advantageous position than you will ever get when setting a heavy gripper, that's why it does not have 100% carry-over to normal gripper closes.

25 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Sure: http://mrstronghands.com/dynamometer_dk_140e

For setting technique, watch Paul Knight's video on youtube "how to set a gripper" you'll find it easily on the tube.

You can get your setting strength up by practicing with heavy grippers and also with very light grippers using only your setting hand (with the light grippers).

Try do some choker work and then throw in some medium to heavy singles. Singles is better than reps when trying to get your setting technique down since you need to do more setting than if you're doing reps. 

If you only do choker workouts your fingers will become strong in that particular position only, which is a way more advantageous position than you will ever get when setting a heavy gripper, that's why it does not have 100% carry-over to normal gripper closes.

Appreciate the link,

Can't believe I've never come across this gem, amazing tips, again thank you!

I'll apply what you've told me and see how it goes! Hoping for a certification for no later than next year!

Exactly, and that makes sense because you'd only be isolating that specific ROM for your fingers, easily holding weight in that range, but without a strong enough set it's a NO-GO!

Sunday 
May 14th,

LH 64.4 kgs (142 lbs)  (decrease of - 1.7 kgs from yesterday) Clear evidence I've been clampin' and not restin'!...busted! 
RH 79.8 kgs (176 lbs) (Increase of + 1.8 kgs from yesterday) 

Very pleased with these pulls, I'm so close to my 65 / 80 kg goals for tomorrow, the appointment is at 15:00. But I'm becoming terrified of her suggesting "shortening" my finger again as she did the last time we met...

IS...Or HAS....there been any grip athletes that anyone may know of, who may have also had a disability in any way in their hands specifically? Would be encouraging for a someone myself that's all, if not - then that's okay disregard the question. 

If you can, do some strength training like squats before you test. It usually brings the crush strength up a notch.

14 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

If you can, do some strength training like squats before you test. It usually brings the crush strength up a notch.

Squats are the best! 

Great advice,

4-6 sets of 100 kgs for higher reps (10-12) would be perfect for me specific (65-70% range), did you know squats increase your testosterone production? 

http://www.livestrong.com/article/366650-squats-to-increase-testosterone/

1 minute ago, Beast_Incarnate said:

Squats are the best! 

I think a few sets of 100 kgs for higher reps like 10-12 would be perfect for that 65-70% range, did you know squats increase your testosterone production? 

http://www.livestrong.com/article/366650-squats-to-increase-testosterone/

It's all about the central nervous system, it needs to be primed to get the most power out of the hands. Doing compound exercises is a good primer, deadlifts are usually not a good idea though since it taxes the grip too much. Pressing exercises are optimal to prime the hands for grippers in my opinion.

• Like 1

On 2017-05-14 at 10:27 PM, Beast_Incarnate said:

Sunday 
May 14th,

LH 64.4 kgs (142 lbs)  (decrease of - 1.7 kgs from yesterday) Clear evidence I've been clampin' and not restin'!...busted! 
RH 79.8 kgs (176 lbs) (Increase of + 1.8 kgs from yesterday) 

Very pleased with these pulls, I'm so close to my 65 / 80 kg goals for tomorrow, the appointment is at 15:00. But I'm becoming terrified of her suggesting "shortening" my finger again as she did the last time we met...

IS...Or HAS....there been any grip athletes that anyone may know of, who may have also had a disability in any way in their hands specifically? Would be encouraging for a someone myself that's all, if not - then that's okay disregard the question. 

How did it go on the appointment? :)

Appointment went very well! Thank you for asking Fist of Fury.

My therapist and I met on the 15th of May to run a few tests that will record the level of disability apparent in my left finger/hand

Test 1: Finger Flexion

DIP Flexion: 0-5 degrees 
PIP Flexion: 0-20 degrees
MCP Flexion: 0-40 degrees 

Here's the range you'd expect of a healthy finger, figures are sourced from link below:
http://www.eatonhand.com/nor/nor002.htm

Finger DIP joint Extension/Flexion  0/80 
Finger PIP joint Extension/Flexion  0/100
Finger MCP joint Hyperextension/Flexion (0-45H)/90

It certainly wasn't the highlight of the evaluation but we're meeting today so that we can send these results off the Workplace Insurance and I can hopefully be awarded whatever compensation I may be entitled to for this injury that will effect me for the rest of my life, originating from a Tim Horton's coffee pot explosion dated July 5th, 2015.

I'm stuck in my "position" as I am unable to leave my current place of employment of which the injury occurred, but I had an uncle who lived well into his 100's, I'm talking an extra decade plus beyond his 100th year...told me once to never belittle an employment opportunity, that he once scraped bakery pans for a just a quarter a week!

Test 2: 3 Finger Pinch (Index, Middle, Thumb)

*Left Hand: 13.0 kgs 
*(Injured hand)
Right Hand: 9.0 kgs

My three point pinch has become stronger in my left hand (13 kgs) as opposed to my dominant right hand which was (9 kgs), this especially amazed my physiotherapist and she took note of the significant compensation displayed by the injured hand.

Test 3: Sensation 

She then tested my sensation throughout the injured finger, at around the tip I have roughly 60% sensation compared to the 100% of my non-injured hand.
Along the medial side (along beside the middle finger) I have about 30% sensation, compared to the 10/10 of what I'd felt on my good hand.

Test 4: Grip Strength

Could you guess which of the 4 tests today I was looking forward to the most?

She took the average of 3 attempts, in which a Jamar model was used. I believe it maxed at 130 kgs....someday I'll hit that.

*All these attempts were strictly sitting down with elbow locked at side, hand must stay in fixed position and must not externally rotate.

LH: 62kgs, 67kgs, 65kgs
LH average: 65 kgs (143lbs)
-65kgs was my left hand goal for this appointment, and I even pulled 67kgs on my second attempt! She looked back to when we first met and was amazed at how I had TRIPLED my grip strength since that first time when my finger had been stitched back on 2 months prior! (Approximately September of 2015, left hand grip was still only 22 1/2 kgs.)

RH: 77kgs, 83kgs, 78kgs
RH average: 79kgs (174lbs)
-my goal pull was 80kgs for this appointment, while I did pull 83kgs on my second attempt, I was just 1 away for my 80kgs to match my average score! 

All in all I'm happy, everything related to grip I passed with flying colors as she commented she's never seen anyone pull more than 70 kgs, or even 80 kgs and considers one very strong when she she's someone pull more than 50 kgs. Hearing that was obviously a huge compliment to me and I'm sure it is to every member here who's ever been complimented on their developing grip strength.

Although, in the back of my mind, I stayed humble knowing there's several guys pulling 90, 100, and even 110+ kgs.

Sensation and flexion test will hopefully be able to show them the function I've lost in my finger, I do consider myself lucky though. While I may only be 22 and have "counted my loss" in that having 9 fingers now, I came back very strong considering where I was and have adapted anyway...always could've been worse.

Remember to always count your blessings :)

• Like 1

@Beast_Incarnate, that's great man, keep up the good work and you'll mash that #3 one day.

I'm curious to know what kind of apparatus they're testing the pinch strength with?

I pulled the trigger and ordered the SilaRukov dynamometer, I'm still waiting for it. Will report back when I have tested it.