Defense against speed

Lionman

Okay, so I'm working on a specific technique and would like to see what others think/advise....

I compete lightweight class - since I weigh in at 150 - and my opponents are always younger and faster than me, lol (Hey, I'm only 46, but a lot of my opponents are like, 19)

SO, I'm trying to develop a defense versus their speed.... here's what I'm working on - starting in a defensive position (elbow PAST the mid-point), so that when they hit, I can float the elbow across the pad (like a shock absorber) while at the same time bending the wrist. In other words, in the first millisecond following "Go" I'm ONLY focused on the CATCH. Then, once I've achieved the catch, I can go into a toproll......

The main reason I think this technique might work well for me is because of my height (5'4"), short arms, and strength.... I've also noticed that in competition, a lot of lightweights really rely on their speed. If they're stopped, it messes up their game for a moment - possibly a moment long enough for me to take advantage of and get off a good toproll.....

I haven't taken it to my practice team yet - I've got a group I travel to practice with about once or twice a month - so we'll see what they think also.... but I'm curious to see if anyone here has any thoughts?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎07‎.‎05‎.‎2017 at 0:45 AM, Lionman said:

Okay, so I'm working on a specific technique and would like to see what others think/advise....

I compete lightweight class - since I weigh in at 150 - and my opponents are always younger and faster than me, lol (Hey, I'm only 46, but a lot of my opponents are like, 19)

SO, I'm trying to develop a defense versus their speed.... here's what I'm working on - starting in a defensive position (elbow PAST the mid-point), so that when they hit, I can float the elbow across the pad (like a shock absorber) while at the same time bending the wrist. In other words, in the first millisecond following "Go" I'm ONLY focused on the CATCH. Then, once I've achieved the catch, I can go into a toproll......

The main reason I think this technique might work well for me is because of my height (5'4"), short arms, and strength.... I've also noticed that in competition, a lot of lightweights really rely on their speed. If they're stopped, it messes up their game for a moment - possibly a moment long enough for me to take advantage of and get off a good toproll.....

I haven't taken it to my practice team yet - I've got a group I travel to practice with about once or twice a month - so we'll see what they think also.... but I'm curious to see if anyone here has any thoughts?

Thanks!

If you try to Counter your opponent, your tactic should depend on the move of your Opponent. Not sure if there is a specific tactic against quick guys.

Speed kills... it's one of the best offenses in armwrestling.  I know a few light guys that are lightning fast but if you can stop the hit you have a window. 

I have an app on my phone that is for martial art speed training.  It sets off an alarm at random time intervals. I used this with a resistance band to train trying to get a quick hit in.  

If you have the horsepower to stop a hit that is certainly a good place to start, just know that quick guys are going to get you into a potentially losing position which requires power and technique to get out of. 

If you have short arms, you should consider hooking.  Many of the defensive guys I know seem to catch in a deep hook then drag across the table. A defensive top roll is difficult to master without slipping especially if you rely on climbing up the opponents hand.  

Otherwise you are on the right track.  Pull in a losing position: time under tension.