70d nail source

Sapper88

Anybody know where to buy 70d nails? Checked all the local shops and did a little online searching and came up empty. 

Anyone on here able to bend one? 

I have bent them and i gave one to @Chez a while back they look awesome bent. i believe i got mine from Tim T.and they cal'd around #500. Regular round ones  though never saw the squares.

Menards has some spikes that are 5/16" X 7" they are not quite as hard as a red but are very challenging. At work so I don't have a pic but they are "gripfast" brand. 

• Like 3

Yea I've been bending 7" "waffle headed" nails as warm ups to new red nails for about the past 6 months - I found them to be great warm ups and definitely also look cool and menacing - If you can bend a bastard or red in imps you'll murder them - I'll find out where my friend got them and post it

• Like 2

how much harder would the 6 inch nail be?

seriously....

• Like 1

60d's are like .23" diameter or something, easier than a blue nail.

It's hard to find cheap 7" stuff so I think that's mostly what this is about.

• Like 2

Thanks for all the info guys, I've been looking for some of these to try as well. 

9 hours ago, wobbler said:

It's hard to find cheap 7" stuff so I think that's mostly what this is about.

I should clarify.   I was asking about the nail in that link to Amazon.    

The reason for my question is unlike round nails, those square spikes have a big taper.  I know 60d vary a bunch, but depending on how centered you bent these it seems like the center thinkness would vary as well

• Like 1

Thanks for the input. Looking for the round ones. I'm pursuing a few of the leads and will report back with my findings.

20 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

Menards has some spikes that are 5/16" X 7" they are not quite as hard as a red but are very challenging. At work so I don't have a pic but they are "gripfast" brand. 

20170429_120208.thumb.jpg.9a0cd7d575c6d6e158f43b7fa6148a8f.jpg20170429_120222.thumb.jpg.6a29069a3117baa02da1f2d428e5c2e3.jpg

the red normally is about .3125 +/- .002. The grip fast nails from Menards are .305 or so. They are a different material too. I have not DO bent in a while but I can attest that the gripfast nails are easier than the red. 

Another thing you can do if you have some reds, a drill, a caliper, and a bench grinder is grind the reds down. You only have to grind down the middle 2" or so. I can post a video of how to do this if you are interested. After some practice you can get pretty accurate and remove very small increments like. 005 at a time. I used a lathe for this before too but not everyone has access to a lathe.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

20170429_120208.thumb.jpg.9a0cd7d575c6d6e158f43b7fa6148a8f.jpg20170429_120222.thumb.jpg.6a29069a3117baa02da1f2d428e5c2e3.jpg

the red normally is about .3125 +/- .002. The grip fast nails from Menards are .305 or so. They are a different material too. I have not DO bent in a while but I can attest that the gripfast nails are easier than the red. 

I buy these nails every time I get near a Menards. They are relatively inexpensive and fairly consistent. They are good volume stock. 

I did one time get a box of shiny 70Ds that were much harder and only ever finished 3 out of the box. 

They look great when bent or whatever you might do with them. 😜

• Like 2