Drill rod question

NealB

I enjoy bending drill rod and was wondering what the biggest diameter drill rod "o1" that you've tried or bent. For me so far it's "p".323. Also do you like it better than CRS?

• Like 2

Highest I've done is .281. Ordering bigger stuff soon. I do like it better than CRS for the added challenge!

• Like 2

At 7", 21/64".  I do like it better as its harder in my weak spots than CRS.  If you have a strong kink and weak crush or sweep, you're not doing yourself any favors by bending CRS.  

• Like 2

Krc, I def agree with you on that. 21/64, that's beast man. How would you rate the difficulty in that bend? 

• Like 1

The particular bar I bent felt slightly harder than the new red nails overall, maybe high 400's.  Of course it's different than the new reds, for me at least, as the red kink is the hardest part and everything else is cake, whereas kinking the 21 was easy but the crush was very difficult. For reference I have yet to get a shiny bastard past 2.25" in under 5 minutes.  How did you find the P bar?

With the behavior of drill rod steel relative to my strengths/weaknesses combined with the small increments, I train on drill rod exclusively. Note I've only managed a decent kink on a Q bar at 7" in IMP's, but bent it fully at 8-3/8", sorRight after I praised drill rod for the increments, I have to mention to be prepared for a big jump from 21 to Q.  

• Like 4

Yea I like drill rod too and am currently fighting with P drill rod as well - the best I got is a 7" down to 1 7/8" in 7 hits with a 2-5 minute break between each hit in a pair of IMPs - real tough for me - got some good bends comin outta MA!

• Like 4

The crush feels so much harder than CRS. I use single IMP's because I can't get use to doubles but I believe that only helps me to be using singles anyways. I might try something above "p" soon. 

• Like 1

7" N (.302") in imps, took me two sessions on different days.

One of my first concerns after figuring out the kink technique was that CRS just melted the rest of the bend, thought about starting working with double wraps but took Mike Sharkey's advice and stayed with imps,  glad I did.

Had trouble when I started with drill rod, stuck around 90* a lot, so I'd say you definitely need drill rod to work the sweep and crush.

Wobbler, I def agree that the sweep and crush is a different animal compared to CRS. CRS feels like butter to me after training with drill rod. I think I'm slowly going to keep going up in diameter because I feel it will only add to my strength in bending. 

20 hours ago, KRC said:

The particular bar I bent felt slightly harder than the new red nails overall, maybe high 400's.  Of course it's different than the new reds, for me at least, as the red kink is the hardest part and everything else is cake, whereas kinking the 21 was easy but the crush was very difficult. For reference I have yet to get a shiny bastard past 2.25" in under 5 minutes.  How did you find the P bar?

With the behavior of drill rod steel relative to my strengths/weaknesses combined with the small increments, I train on drill rod exclusively. Note I've only managed a decent kink on a Q bar at 7" in IMP's, but bent it fully at 8-3/8", sorRight after I praised drill rod for the increments, I have to mention to be prepared for a big jump from 21 to Q.  

I found the "p" bar to be quite challenging but not impossible. I think I'm going to order some "q" soon. How is the "q" compared to the "p"??

A lot harder.  I can do P in IMP's most any day, and only kink a Q.  A Q in doubles is even difficult for me.  I had a P bar rated at 465, and Q historically comes in at the high 500's - seems like the consensus is that they're a 590 bar.  Big jump.  

On 4/27/2017 at 2:06 PM, KRC said:

A lot harder.  I can do P in IMP's most any day, and only kink a Q.  A Q in doubles is even difficult for me.  I had a P bar rated at 465, and Q historically comes in at the high 500's - seems like the consensus is that they're a 590 bar.  Big jump.  

Def a big jump indeed, thanks for the info man

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, shakenbake said:

Def a big jump indeed, thanks for the info man

Did you try the Q? How did it go?

11 minutes ago, KRC said:

Did you try the Q? How did it go?

I have about 10 "p" bars left and I'll be ordering some "q". I will let you know how it goes after I try some

• Like 1