1. 1. Good MMS Set GM?

• Good Set
    • No Set
    • Unclear
  2. 2. Good MMS Set #3?

• Good Set
    • No Set
    • Unclear

Some close attempts, I was wondering if these would qualify for a MMS set. I am working on my filming skills. I also appreciate any and all feedback on my setting technique.

• Like 1

I would suggest a slight pause with a clear line of sight for the camera before you start mashing down.

• Like 1

The GM set looked too narrow even if I try pausing it to find the widest point where your setting hand is not touching. This was compounded by the angle that the gripper was at with respect to the camera. The #3 set looked wide enough if I paused it at the right time, but it is difficult to judge. A slight pause would be pretty helpful with this.

Here is my MM4 close. Not to toot my own horn, but I would consider this very easy to judge.

• Like 5

You need to pause a bit before mashing.

I'd suggest practicing with a slightly lesser strength gripper using a MMS width block and HOLDING it for a few seconds.

• Like 2

I don't think pausing is the issue, we're able to do that in our media players. Rather it's the camera work that you need to work on.

• Like 1

First video is too deep a set. Second video was a lot better and it appears to be about right.  Angle makes it harder to tell exactly.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Squeezus said:

The GM set looked too narrow even if I try pausing it to find the widest point where your setting hand is not touching. This was compounded by the angle that the gripper was at with respect to the camera. The #3 set looked wide enough if I paused it at the right time, but it is difficult to judge. A slight pause would be pretty helpful with this.

Here is my MM4 close. Not to toot my own horn, but I would consider this very easy to judge.

Such a smooth set compared to mine. Pretty jealous haha

Thanks for all the feedback guys

I'm guessing you haven't a lot of experience setting, and you seem to be in a little bit of a rush to start the close, as you get more strength and experience, I think your set will stabilize.

42 minutes ago, bwwm said:

I'm guessing you haven't a lot of experience setting, and you seem to be in a little bit of a rush to start the close, as you get more strength and experience, I think your set will stabilize.

Spot on. I only started grip training a couple of months ago and I have already noticed an improvement in my set. I will definitely keep working on it

• Like 2

That's pretty impressive for only having been training a few months!

2 hours ago, bwwm said:

That's pretty impressive for only having been training a few months!

Thanks dude I appreciate that!

• Like 1

Try to angle the camera up under the gripper, so it's pointed strait at the bottom of the handles.

You did strong closes sir. That must be said first. A BBGM can be pretty stiff throughout the sweep. 

I follow the line of what is said earlier on also. 1st vid is too hard to judge. The second is better, but it take a lot of 'pause / play' skill of the judges to see what is actually going on. 

I'd just leave the camera running the next few training sessions. Just do regular and easy closes also with the camera running. Filming a max attempt will never be easy for most of us. Except for examples like that Tennesee gripperbutcher above. He's not human.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Geralt said:

Except for examples like that Tennesee gripperbutcher above. He's not human.

BbtmjX.gif

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Geralt said:

You did strong closes sir. That must be said first. A BBGM can be pretty stiff throughout the sweep. 

I follow the line of what is said earlier on also. 1st vid is too hard to judge. The second is better, but it take a lot of 'pause / play' skill of the judges to see what is actually going on. 

I'd just leave the camera running the next few training sessions. Just do regular and easy closes also with the camera running. Filming a max attempt will never be easy for most of us. Except for examples like that Tennesee gripperbutcher above. He's not human.

Thanks I appreciate the advice! I definitely notice that the GM is stiff from start to close.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Josh O'Dell said:

Try to angle the camera up under the gripper, so it's pointed strait at the bottom of the handles.

I thought about this shortly after those attempts. I will give it a shot next time.

• Like 1

I bought a cheap car repair light which has enough length to follow my camera setup and I hang it below the tripod of my camera, but you can also lay it on the floor. That way you have enough light going up to make sure there are no shades between the handles. I used this setup for practise on my MM cert. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVfbKCeTg2w