Short steel

Sapper88

Comparatively new to bending myself. I'm wondering why FBBC has so few certs on the shorter length 1/4" square stock. Is it because it is difficult or is there just a lack of interest? 

I think he is talking about the relatively small amount of names who have certified on the shorter bars. I could be wrong however.

Edit: I really don't have an answer I guess. Maybe once you can bend a 6" 1/4 square piece you shoot for the bastard which is a little more prestigious?

Edited by Billy Jack
  • Like 2

57 minutes ago, KRC said:

There are are 7 or 8 for each crs and stainless.  That's so few? What am I missing? 

30 minutes ago, Billy Jack said:

I think he is talking about the relatively small amount of names who have certified on the shorter bars. I could be wrong however.

Edit: I really don't have an answer I guess. Maybe once you can bend a 6" 1/4 square piece you shoot for the bastard which is a little more prestigious?

Billy jack is tracking what I'm thinking. Bends that I would call a lot harder have more certs than some of the shorter squares. Hes also probably right that Prestige/bragging rights might be why. I know both bends are significantly difficult in different ways but In my mind if you can do the bend (short square) why not cert on it and be in a more "exclusive" category. 

• Like 1

@EJ Livesey curious about your take on this. What do you think? You're the one who spurred my interest in trying out the short stock in the first place after watching your video. 

I would say its due to the fact that once benders see a bit of progress, they are much more inclined to want to jump quickly to thicker and harder bars and progress up the ranks.....once they do this a lot of them then don't have the same desire to return to the shorter lengths of the thinner stock. 

Thats my theory and reasoning behind it. :-)

Edited by Briso
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Briso said:

I would say its due to the fact that once benders see a bit of progress, they are much more inclined to want to jump quickly to thicker and harder bars and progress up the ranks.....once they do this a lot of them then don't have the same desire to return to the shorter lengths of the thinner stock. 

Thats my theory and reasoning behind it. :-)

Makes sense. Right now the 5/16 is just out of reach for me so it seems like an attainable goal. I know I need to spend time on the length of material that I am striving to bend (red nail) in order to get the techniques down. I ordered some drill rod to cut to proper length as a stepping stone towards 5/16. In the meantime I am going to see which certs I can get at my current ability level. 

I agree with Billyjack. People tend to get tunnel vision and want to bend a bigger diameter. I say go for it and kill it. If your comfortable in that position maybe it's your sweet spot. 

• Like 1

Little off topic, but run to the hardware store for some hot rolled 5/16, you should be able to get that. Drill rod is good too.

• Like 2

On ‎4‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 3:16 PM, Sapper88 said:

Comparatively new to bending myself. I'm wondering why FBBC has so few certs on the shorter length 1/4" square stock. Is it because it is difficult or is there just a lack of interest? 

It of course gets difficult when it is short enough, but one reason I didn't cert (definitely bent a few though) on the 3.5" version of the 1/4" Square is because the square stock was awfully hard on bending pads compared to round stock. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, bencrush said:

It of course gets difficult when it is short enough, but one reason I didn't cert (definitely bent a few though) on the 3.5" version of the 1/4" Square is because the square stock was awfully hard on bending pads compared to round stock. 

I agree although I hadn't considered that. I did some pretty heavt damage to my pads doing the short square stock. Makes a lot of sense. 

• Like 1