My griplog 2.0 (A renewed quest for gripstrength)

Geralt

On 3/8/2021 at 8:54 AM, Joefrey said:

Nice to see you back on GB ! Let's go for another round !

Thanks Joefrey! 

March 6th

gripperwork, singles trying to overcrush a 137lbs files BBGM, the btr part feels pretty stiff. 3 wide set reps is the goal (calculated 90% of 1rm for now)

March 8th

Trapbar 5x2 every workset upping weight per set. Easy to autoregulate intensity; 
Bench 4x10;
Chinups with Angle90 grips 2x max reps unassisted, 2x 10 assisted with feet on chair;
Dumbell shoulderpress 3x10;
bicepcurls 3 x 10;
Triceps pushdowns 3x10. 

• Like 2

March 11th

Backsquat 4 x 10;
Bench 3 x 10 swissbar closegrip;
Legcurls 3 x 8;
Grippers. I'll write that up beneath. 

As from March 11th, I started with an approach to see if this - simple said - makes me stronger on grippers. 

I am going to train grippers on a near daily basis. Idea is working up slowly and easy but on a still challenging intensity.
The gripperwork will be short. 

The template: 

Worksets
Depending on the form of the day, 4 or 5 singles wide set and building this up to 2 or 3 sets of triples. 
I have a 6kg plastic kettlebell which I use for wrist extension to keep that part in order too as opposed movement. 

Trainingdays
These gripper'sessions' on non regular training days (I train 2x per week all over) so this comes down to 4 max 5 days of grippers, two regular trainingdays and one restday. Also a little autoregulation. 

So far I started with this since last Thursday (March 11th which I did singles with my BBGM 137lbs (before filling). 

Current gripper in use, Ghp6, Rgc 125lbs.

• Like 2

Wow. Welcome back. It’s been a long time. Great to see you posting again 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Chez said:

Wow. Welcome back. It’s been a long time. Great to see you posting again 

Long time indeed...I didn’t dare send you a txt, you’ve gotten so big and scary lol

kids and life have mangled my body...🥴😄 serious though good to see you still at it Cesare 💪🏼

• Like 2

21 hours ago, bencrush said:

@Geralt

It's good to see you back on the board! Looks like you kept a high base level gripper strength. 

Thank you Ben. I did keep training grippers but on a very loose approach, I always seem to screw up when I want to widen the set. No matter how you turn it, I'm no natural on these thing, so whereas my baseline is ok/good, getting over it in a consistent way is another thing. 

Trapbar 5x2 every workset upping weight per set. 
Bench 1 x 10, 1 x 8, 1 x 6, 1 x 4;
Chinups with Angle90 grips 2x max reps unassisted, 2x 10 assisted with feet on chair;
Dumbell shoulderpress 3x8;
bicepcurls 1 x 10, 2 x 7;
Abs, leg raises.

Filed IM#2 with CPW Bumper in the spring, turned up max thickness (4 complete revolutions)
3 x 3 reps as wide as I could go without going TNS.  

Extensorwork. 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So far not much shockingly new to report, doing my workouts as i descibed above, the trapbar workout on Monday and the squat workout on Thursday. Grippers daily, except for yesterday where I skipped it. Closed my 150 lbs #3 today from a fairly wide set. Given the fact that I have been working grippers every day since the 11th of this month, this could be a sign of my base strength rising. 

Atm my daily gripper workouts consist of:

3x3 Ghp6 (125) wide set, almost TNS or 3x3 filed IM#2 with CPW Bumper max revolutions, TNS. 
Extensor work with kettlebell and thumbscrews for my thumbbase. Nothing fancy. 

If a workout doesn't feel right, I don't 'push' it and leave it with two sets only. 
Still early to tell if this works, have to maintain this for at least a month or two to do a review of my actions so far. 

I do know that if I had trained gripper workouts shortly after each other, the last one would be crap always. Mainly because I had pushed too far first session. Paramount that this doesn't happen with this setup. 

Still looking for what a good RGC intensity would be for me atm, I keep it at around 130 max. Some solid daily triples with a gripper like that, build up to TNS doubles/triples would make an awesome base but that's still future for now. 

So far, it's ok. 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 2

Update, trained the usual two times this week but a bit messy timewise because of work. Because of a long day on Wednesday and not feeling to well on Thursday, I skipped the daily gripperwork and decided to seize that moment to take a break till today. 

Did grippers again today and will do so again from here on daily. Got a nosecold and I was sneezing on the minute so it seemed with a running nose all the time which didn't help my general vibe too well. 

Still got a start with 

IM#2.5 3 x 3 wide set; 
IM#3 (150) CCS 1 x 1 miss. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Trained grippers last Saturday but felt off, did a few holds with an IM#3 @149lbs. 
Staying at the daily gripper regime doesn't work now I need to up the resistance so I go to twice a week. 
Surprisingly, today I went in expecting nothing, but felt very good once starting. Who knew. 

Warming up, from sports gripper up till 1 x 2.5 IM#2.5 wide set;
BBE (162) 3 x 1 wide set attempts, all misses, yet first one almost closed, all assisted closed with the other hand and holds with till slowly opening up. 

Thumbwork, using a small pinchblock attached to a 24kg kettlebell;
Extensorwork with light kettlebell. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Hi. I continued to train like forementioned for a while. Intensity got higher and soon daily work wasn't realistic in terms of recovery and when I would want to get to wider #3 level this is where the program derails. I did get some volume in though. 

In essence, boils down to scrape this one off the designboard, I wasn't actually laying down high hopes but if they were they would have been welcome. Alas. 

New setup: Still training twice a week, legs, bench and pulling work, except for DL's. 

Gripwise: Ditching the grippers (regarding actually closing them) for a few weeks. Plateloader 2x a week in between legs / bench, aiming for 3 x 6 reps for worksets. Current weightstack is 50kg, handles set at about parallel gripperwidth. With a plateloader it is very much depending on how you place yourself at the machine (wrist angle) and how the hand and fingers are placed, this makes big difference for the desired carryover in my opinion. If I get the right setup and yield results, you'll read that here. 

IM#3.5  3 x 1 singles just setting it to parallel (without closing attempts), to not lose feeling and technique. So both closing power as well as the set are being trained in my new scheme. 

• Like 1