My griplog 2.0 (A renewed quest for gripstrength)

Geralt

Trapbar DL, worksets 150kg 3 x 5 reps (felt good); 
Chinups BW from deadhang and slow eccentric 3, 4, 5, 5, 4, 3;
Seated one arm pulls with horseshoe handle on latpulley in squatrack, hand supinated; 
Bicepcurls with hands on outerside of EZ bar, again with supinated handpositioning. 

My left arm is holding me back a bit in training because of the aggrevated brachi but it's doable this way. 

Landmine presses 4 x 10 worksets; 
Incline benchpress 1 x 10, 3 x 8; 
Skullcrushers 1 x 10, 2 x 8, 1 x 6; 
Tricepextensions till failure because I'm vain. 

Friday May 11th:
Shoulders / Kettlebell cleans, KB presses. Tinkering with the right setup; 
BW dips, lots of sets; 
Biceps isolationwork; 
Coretraining. 

Tonight:
Was supposed to train grippers tomorrow or so but got motivated by seeing stuff on IG and since one day won't make difference, why not. 
I had a session with more repwork and volume then last one and when I was finished, my skin was on fire. Skin on the pinky of my right hand got torn up, so a good indicator it's getting work that it hasn't dealt with before. I'll paste the last grippersession and edited what I did tonight. 

Working sets (April 30th)                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                             
Lightly filed IM#3 (142) 4 x 1 rep 30mm blockset, 15 seconds rest between closes;                                                             

Tonight: 4 x 1 rep, 'kinda' more powerful closes, tried fith but missed slightly. Anyway, felt good. 
6 minutes rest;
Ghp 6 (125)  6 x 1 CCS with just a few seconds in between, very tough;                                                                                  

TonightStarted to feel tough after 5th, so forced it closed with very little                                                                                                                                                               
assistance of the other  hand till 8 reps; 
6 minutes rest; 
Ghp6 (125) CCS closes on the minute, messed up my counting, got 6 or 8 singles. Felt tough last closes;                     

Tonight: 6 good CCS closes, again, went up to 10 by doing the extra four                                                                                                                                                           
with slight assistence; 

6 minutes rest; 
Ghp6 (125) 20mm blockset, 5 reps and I was toast;                                                                                                                   

Tonight: First set 6 clean reps, added two extra sets, one of 5 reps and one 3 reps,                                                                                                                                                       
by this time skin was on fire; 

5 minutes rest; 
IM#1 1 x 20 TNS with overcrush on every close. This was not  meant as burnout set btw. Kept enough in the tank.        
Tonight: 1 x 1 IM#2 (filed both handles) CCS close with thin straphold with 0.5 kg.                                                                                                                                                   
Few seconds hold,  kept squeezing after the weight fell, till I saw the                                                                                                                                                                         
handles coming open further beyond  regular close. 

Later this week pinch, open hand and wrists. At leat I did more then last time. 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Lookin good man.. volume will have its ups and downs but if you do the rest and active recovery right, you should be on a gradual plane upward.

• Like 1

Thanks guys, hope so! Not sure wether or not the every other week grippers is sufficient or that I am leaving to much of a big gap in between. I do feel that the other gripwork does make my hands stronger overall, so I'll just have to wait and see how this works out till let's say summervacation. Timewise with 'life' in between this is less hectic then trying to cram everything into one week. 

Edited by Geralt

Monday 14th May
Chinups ladderprogression from deadhang, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1.
Pulling work, one arm, double handed rows etc; 
Abs, ab wheel and leg raises.

Wednesday 16th May
Rolling thunder, 40kg x 5, 50kg x 4, 55 x 3, 60kg x 3, 65 x 1, 70kg x 1, 65 x 3 x 3 (felt pretty tough, hands felt fatigued because of Sunday's gripperwork). 
Probably better have waited till Saturday for this gripsession. 
Landmines 4 x 10 worksets; 
Front raises with empty barbell 3 sets till failure; 
Back shoulder work; 
Wristwork, kettlebell with towel. 

Trapbar DL, worksets 2 x 3 and 1 x 5 @ 158kg / 348 lbs; 
Chinups ladder progression, though my left arm is still bothering me. Trying to adjust my armposition as much as I can; 
Inverted barbellrows;
Pushup from pushup stands 6 x 10, want to work up to 10 x 10 and then increase the rep number. 

Was pretty warm and couldn't quite get the fire burning. 

I fell behind in logging. Last Wednesday focus on shoulders and assistance, Friday on Benchpress and assistance. 
Also threw in some conditioning, did last Wednesday as a finisher a kettlebellswing workout combined with pushup burpees. This felt very intense. 

Today grippers, though probably not the best timing since it was going to be pretty hot and I started early to trim my hedges before hottest daytime. Tomorrow no option for training so just wanted to do it today. 

Warming up to a 150lbs IM#3 wide set close, felt pretty good; 
8 minute workset IM#2.5 (filed) CCS's, managed 12 closes with the last one just over the last second. 
Double filed IM#2 TNS thin straphold with 0.5 kg. Just a few seconds; 
Inchpinch up to 27.5kg / 60lbs, lowered the weight for timed holds; 
Thumbscrews for reps. 

Still not bad for a grippersession since my hands felt a bit worked already because of the gardenwork. 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Been slacking in the log department, will try to keep it up as from this week again. Missing motivation atm and progress has stalled, or better said is on the same stagnant level it always is. 
Doing training but it doesn't excite me. It'll come around. 

@Hopefully true, having a dip has practically been more then 75% of my training life lol so I am getting used to it and finding a way around it. 

Not going to bother and write down the stuff I did recently. Today grippers after benchwork yesterday. 

Worksets:
IM#3 (149lbs)   1 x 1 wide set, felt pretty good; 
IM#3 (149lbs)   1 x 2 MMS attempt, missed second rep by a small bit; 
IM#2.5 (130lbs) 1 x 8 20mm blocksetreps; 
IM#2.5 (130lbs) 1 x 6 20mm blocksetreps;
Thumbscrews several sets. 

Trying to keep volume not too high so I can recover faster. Other training mostly pressing and the pulls I do a very controlled with straps so I don't tax my grip. Tried grippers only for the sake of recovery so many tips but that doesn't make a difference so might as well keep on doing regular training but with focus saving my hands.  

• Like 2

• 5 months later...
On ‎6‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 9:35 PM, Geralt said:

@Hopefully true, having a dip has practically been more then 75% of my training life lol so I am getting used to it and finding a way around it. 

Not going to bother and write down the stuff I did recently. Today grippers after benchwork yesterday. 

Worksets:
IM#3 (149lbs)   1 x 1 wide set, felt pretty good; 
IM#3 (149lbs)   1 x 2 MMS attempt, missed second rep by a small bit; 
IM#2.5 (130lbs) 1 x 8 20mm blocksetreps; 
IM#2.5 (130lbs) 1 x 6 20mm blocksetreps;
Thumbscrews several sets. 

Trying to keep volume not too high so I can recover faster. Other training mostly pressing and the pulls I do a very controlled with straps so I don't tax my grip. Tried grippers only for the sake of recovery so many tips but that doesn't make a difference so might as well keep on doing regular training but with focus saving my hands.  

Can't wait your COC3 certification man !  And really hope to see you at home again for heavy workouts, I've got some brand new stuff to deal with !!!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while. I took a pause from social media too. I am now only active on Instagram, under 'Geraltimus'. I like IG much more than FB because it's easier to form my own timeline without all the political and other stuff I don't need to see. I do miss a few guys ofcourse, I always kept contact with @anwnate but slacked with keeping up with @Joefrey. I still have contact with @Royz and occasional with @RTvG. I mis the New York gang, haven't talked to them in a while. Same for @Shoggoth!  Ofcourse the other guys on IG I still follow them and see what's going on in general in grip. 

I am 41 now and as years grow, perspectives change too. 
I always kept my eyes on the 3 certification as a centre of my training. tried a lot, came close to a freakin' millimeter in a real cert attempt and never got up to acceptable strength for a legit training attempt. I have this sturdy 153lbs #3 and no matter how hard I train, CCS-ing this thing always humbles me in how far I miss it, while I could CCS an 'easier' #3. Always when I get up to let's say 169 lbs MMS strength, it tends to go downhill after that. 

In general training, my focus has shifted to more - for me - realistic training that is also easier to combine with daily life. Peaking at prescribed moments never worked for me. So I go more with what my body tells me. I focus more on calisthenics. I am able to climb a rope without use of legs, do pistolsquats and perform an L-sit. Tweaking everything ofcourse as I go. This is for me more functional. I stretch a lot too and focus on better movement. I can run about 5km /3.01 miles around 25 minutes which still gives me a good base conditioning to work with. So all in all, I feel good. Hurt my arms recently because of the ropeclimbing but that's a little overuse that will go away when I keep addressing it properly. Need to toughen up. 

What do I expect of myself in terms of grip. For now, I have discarded the grippers for a while. I do the more basic gripwork and till now, it still keeps me in the harder #3 MMS range, so I have a good base to build on. Long story short, I'll start logging again. No time pressure, just trying to have fun in the process. 

I wish you all a merry christmas 🎄

153lbs #3 baseline: 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 7

10 hours ago, Geralt said:

It's been a while. I took a pause from social media too. I am now only active on Instagram, under 'Geraltimus'. I like IG much more than FB because it's easier to form my own timeline without all the political and other stuff I don't need to see. I do miss a few guys ofcourse, I always kept contact with @anwnate but slacked with keeping up with @Joefrey. I still have contact with @Royz and occasional with @RTvG. I mis the New York gang, haven't talked to them in a while. Same for @Shoggoth!  Ofcourse the other guys on IG I still follow them and see what's going on in general in grip. 

I am 41 now and as years grow, perspectives change too. 
I always kept my eyes on the 3 certification as a centre of my training. tried a lot, came close to a freakin' millimeter in a real cert attempt and never got up to acceptable strength for a legit training attempt. I have this sturdy 153lbs #3 and no matter how hard I train, CCS-ing this thing always humbles me in how far I miss it, while I could CCS an 'easier' #3. Always when I get up to let's say 169 lbs MMS strength, it tends to go downhill after that. 

In general training, my focus has shifted to more - for me - realistic training that is also easier to combine with daily life. Peaking at prescribed moments never worked for me. So I go more with what my body tells me. I focus more on calisthenics. I am able to climb a rope without use of legs, do pistolsquats and perform an L-sit. Tweaking everything ofcourse as I go. This is for me more functional. I stretch a lot too and focus on better movement. I can run about 5km /3.01 miles around 25 minutes which still gives me a good base conditioning to work with. So all in all, I feel good. Hurt my arms recently because of the ropeclimbing but that's a little overuse that will go away when I keep addressing it properly. Need to toughen up. 

What do I expect of myself in terms of grip. For now, I have discarded the grippers for a while. I do the more basic gripwork and till now, it still keeps me in the harder #3 MMS range, so I have a good base to build on. Long story short, I'll start logging again. No time pressure, just trying to have fun in the process. 

I wish you all a merry christmas 🎄

153lbs #3 baseline: 

Great to see your log again.  This will be a great log to watch.  Just enjoy the process and have fun.  The strength will come :cool

• Like 1

Thank you very much man @Forever.

So I'm going to describe the main focus per week than describe every individual session. 

Because of rope climbing I inured both my arms, by irritating both bicep brachii. It's gettting better after massage and no direct armtraining. 
Tested my gripperstrength after weeks of no gripperwork and I could almost close my BBE from MMS so that's good. 

Progressing in time on the L-sit, almost 10 solid seconds. Handstand is still difficult for kicking up, need to work more on that. 

Benchpress working now with sets of 95kg /209 lbs. Still feels heavy, but slowly I am working towards 100kg again. Will be nice to have this as a solid base, mostly when I go faster, my shoulders start to protest and this is going well for now. 

• Like 2

On ‎12‎/‎24‎/‎2018 at 3:07 AM, Forever said:

Great to see your log again.  This will be a great log to watch.  Just enjoy the process and have fun.  The strength will come :cool

S**t I'am 5 years older than you ! Nice to read about you again on Gripboard. I have to admit that I'am not really active on GB. Anyway I still train hard on RT, grippers and bending.

Could you kindly share dimensions of your Blob ? I think about having one.

Good close on the BBE ! Train hard.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ow @Joefrey, my Blob is at @Royz at the moment! Maybe he can chime in and shout some measurements! 

Last week, bench is slowly improving, the rope climbing really irritated my right bicep and yesterday after grippers it hurt like hell, it's the flexing of the muscles in the whole arm when giving maximal intensity on grippers. It will get better though, just no climbing for a while. I know I can pull that off anyway so good to know. 

Grippers focus on TNS-ing my Silarukov 130. It's a very sturdy gripper and the gripper in itself is set to CCS width, so it's a good goal to get with minimal 'skin stretch'. This gripper is above 150lbs level for sure. Put on a thread on the main board and learned Matt Cannon had one rated at 158. 

No Fancy stuff, just training all over and once per week of after more rest, a few attempts after warming up on the 130 TNS. The gap is very small. For now :chris:

Getting a new treadmill delivered tommorrow! Actually my wife wanted it but I shall reap benefits from it also. The treadmill I mean. Homegym is truly becoming a centre of joy. 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 2

@Joefrey Hi I measured the 25kg blob.

- top is 10,5cm wide, but it flares out to approx 13-14cm

- diameter is 19cm

It's hard to see exactly on the pics, but those are the measurements I got. 

IMG_20190107_234115.jpg

IMG_20190107_234315.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you very much. I've tried it 2 years ago but it didn't leave the floor :( I would like to have one but not too challenging. I will share some pictures as soon as it's made.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Every week I think 'oh I need to update'...but cant seem to find the right vibe. Case is I have been doing more then enough training but nothing to specific about grip. Life has been very consuming. I notice this in my training very much. Gripwise there is not much to mention. I can pick up a gripper and it goes 'ok' and next time like today it's completely cack. But I'll leave it for a while. Can't expect to keep the fire burning all the time. 

We're also now proud owners of a treadmill and I have incorporated it into my training, in the beginning you know how it goes, running my @ss off, but now once or twice a week and it feels good and despite I lost a little bit of weight, I don't think it did much on my strength. 

Benchpressing I follow a once every three to four days routine, and working back to 225lbs / 100kg for reps, which is a good standard to me. 
Trapbar deadlift I do once per week heavy (3 - 5 x 3 reps worksets 90% 1rm) and next week volume (3 -  5 x 8 reps 75% 1rm). 
Both training sessions I use Isolation exercises that I think benefit my compound work and give me a good pump or burn. 

Besides this I train the l-sit, train abs however i feel, and in general just go more with how I feel that particular day i have room to train. 

Sorry not sorry, not much to tell in this department! 

• Like 5

Awesome, glad you are working the cardio. It is crucial, all top end strength is meaningless if it can't be sustained for more than a few moments. I found that out this past may starting back into jiu jitsu and being helplessly SMOKED 1-2 into a hard roll. I've changed my priorities ever since. Got find that balance!

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Think I should post again, been a while. 
I have been living life, enough things that occupied my life, work, and training just went on, doing my thing, highs, lows and neutral sessions. I like to watch what happens on IG in the world of grip, so in that aspect it is easy to lose focus on maintaining a log on a forum. I must say interest did go down a little, so many implements, discussions that don't 'do' it for me anymore. Just want to have fun with training and the less focus I lay on results, the more relaxed I train. Can't seem to get that mindset with grippers though. Ha! Grippers, thickbar, pinch. Still the bread and butter I would say. 

At this moment, grippers are pretty much down the drain, been inconsistent with methods and other aspects of life were more demanding to me. Physically some nags too (also in hands) which I hope to overcome soon. Pretty nasty pain in my right back below my ribcage but working on that. But I do notice that in training and the output my body gives. 

Keeping a log here will do me good perhaps too. And of course to all the guys on here, keep it going, glad to see everyone keeping it up. 

My workout schedule atm: 

2x per week minimalistic strengthtraining;
(1x upper body compound, trapbar DL, bench and assisting back/arms)
(1x lower body compound, squats, bench and assisting work legs) 

Figuring out where to put grippers, most logical will be in the squatsession. 
Also, eyeballing a gripper in the 135 range (no thickhandled) so if you read this and can help me with that, hit me up! CPW is the place to go but this range goes out of the window faster then a speeding bullet, I'm always late lol

I do have a BBGM @137 but I filed that one which I regret now. Would like a normal handled one too. 

There! Geralt's first post in 2021. 

• Like 2

yesterdayevening

Squats 4 x 10;
Bench 3 x 10 Swiss bar; 
Stiff legged DL 3 x10; 
Leg curls 3 x 10;
Pushups 4 x 10 (full and explosive lockouts, slow descend)

didn't feel to well for grippers so somewhere this weekend that I'll give those a go. 

• Like 1

On 3/4/2021 at 11:32 AM, Geralt said:

Think I should post again, been a while. 
I have been living life, enough things that occupied my life, work, and training just went on, doing my thing, highs, lows and neutral sessions. I like to watch what happens on IG in the world of grip, so in that aspect it is easy to lose focus on maintaining a log on a forum. I must say interest did go down a little, so many implements, discussions that don't 'do' it for me anymore. Just want to have fun with training and the less focus I lay on results, the more relaxed I train. Can't seem to get that mindset with grippers though. Ha! Grippers, thickbar, pinch. Still the bread and butter I would say. 

At this moment, grippers are pretty much down the drain, been inconsistent with methods and other aspects of life were more demanding to me. Physically some nags too (also in hands) which I hope to overcome soon. Pretty nasty pain in my right back below my ribcage but working on that. But I do notice that in training and the output my body gives. 

Keeping a log here will do me good perhaps too. And of course to all the guys on here, keep it going, glad to see everyone keeping it up. 

My workout schedule atm: 

2x per week minimalistic strengthtraining;
(1x upper body compound, trapbar DL, bench and assisting back/arms)
(1x lower body compound, squats, bench and assisting work legs) 

Figuring out where to put grippers, most logical will be in the squatsession. 
Also, eyeballing a gripper in the 135 range (no thickhandled) so if you read this and can help me with that, hit me up! CPW is the place to go but this range goes out of the window faster then a speeding bullet, I'm always late lol

I do have a BBGM @137 but I filed that one which I regret now. Would like a normal handled one too. 

There! Geralt's first post in 2021. 

Nice to see you back on GB ! Let's go for another round !

• Thanks 1