My griplog 2.0 (A renewed quest for gripstrength)

Geralt

In between all these monsters also just doing my stuff lol

Single leg split squats @bw quite the burn and sweat in this oppressive heat this afternoon;
Small deficit deadlifts today 3 x 5 @ 155 kg, felt like a ton, legs felt heavy already; 

Plateloader 3 x 3 @ 60kg @ 25mm width and weight on fingertips. Also felt very heavy, had a lot of trouble getting the bar raised from deadstop; 

Flask 3 x 3 @ 30kg felt easy! Took it up to 35kg in between the working sets and that also felt pretty easy. Friction also felt very well today. Didn't take it further though. I feel that 1rm training for my thumbs is  counter productive. Would be cool to hit 40kg @ SJ4. Who knows. 
Ended with 25kg timed holds. Felt too light actually but it felt good as a nice finisher;

BW chinups 5 x 5 with short restperiods and direct bicepwork. The heat made everything in me feel sloooooww.... bad night sleeping probably also didn't do me well. 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 2

Can't wait to read a wrap-up of this comp ! Come back with some titles Geralt ! My heart will be with you in the US. Have nice holidays there now your daughter feels better.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Joefrey said:

Can't wait to read a wrap-up of this comp ! Come back with some titles Geralt ! My heart will be with you in the US. Have nice holidays there now your daughter feels better.

Thank you brother, very kind message. Appreciate it! This hobby brought me in contact with great guys like you. 

Missed out a few log entries, but training is stable growthwise. I am not going to win any more strength for SJ4, I have barely two weeks of training now left. This week seems to be crammed with all kinds of stuff for the kids, so I have to be realistic here. My overall training has suffered a bit, since I ditched squats and other main lifts. Just not enough energy with everything going on last months besides grip and some barebone lifting. I am looking forward very much to our US trip of which SJ4 will be a part and meeting up with Nate and of course a lot of people on the day itself. I expect many positive impressions and of course a cool holiday. 

Grippers today felt fairly good, since I only had two days rest, Grippers 155lbs Ghp7 MMS x 2, almost 3 reps and a 162lbs 20mm blockset attempt which I missed. Set felt easy. Maybe two or three gripsessions at most before leaving. 

• 2 weeks later...

Tested my squats today to see where I stand. 135kg is good but after that form is starting to break apart. Haven't done squats consistent so after the US trip this will be in my training, together with bench and DL. So concentrating on the big lifts again and simple gripwork.

Grippers yesterday, went mwah, 30mm blocksetted my 157lbs  filed IM#3 pretty comfortably, so if I can keep that at SJ4 I'm doing ok. Gripper could do better but than I shouldn't have done RT work, pinch and thickbar like I did last months. I do want to have an allround 'ok' performance at the comp and not only 'excel' for myself on grippers. I have no idea what I will get on the crusher, hope I can get some feel for it when I am at Nate's place post comp and one hand Flask would be cool to hit around 40kg. We'll see! 

Bench is doing good, tomorrow last bench and griptraining before the trip, so besides the comp I won't do any training anymore till august.

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Back again after a great trip to the US. A marvelous experience and it tastes for more. Here's to experiences for life and meeting great people. :rockI am still thinking about the write-up.
Came back last Tuesday and we basically skipped a night. I thought I could get some sleep last night but the little girls were also affected by the jetlag so one was humming nice tunes at 2am in the morning and the other one was craving for crackers around the same time. Finally fell asleep around 3 am or so. Parenthood. I must say my little girls were so great and are now so grateful for the experience that I am glad we could give them this.  

I have met so many people and want to tell so much without excluding people that I still need to figure out how I will write it down. In short, the comp was great for me. The Brous Family was so incredible thoughtful in everything for us that leaving from their frontporch was a pretty emotional moment. Sometimes distance sucks. Thank you guys who read this and took their time to meet up with me and my family during the comp. You made my day. 
Competitive wise I got 4th in my weightclass (from 11 contestants) and 11th in general (from 51 contestants). 
In 2016 I attended a Dutch comp and was confronted with the fact that I had no good all round strength and only grippers felt decent. I was glad to find that a bit corrected with my comp training for SJ4 but I also noticed that gripperstrength was not as I hoped, because of the more general training I guess, apart from the fact that jumping in a competition in the middle of a vacation isn't that all ideal although things can be said for that also recovery wise. Also, the rules were different so that will also have played a role. Anyway. I had a lot of fun and very tired hands afterwards. 

Back to training. 

Grippers
After warming up (approaching warming up more different now): IM#2.5 (sturdy one) 3 x 5 clean powerful 20mm blockset reps. 

Rolling thunder
3 x 3 @70kg; 
3 x 5 Rolling thunder wristcurls, plus negatives and holds. 

Lucas Raymond little pinch block (which I was lucky enough to win when Lucas put all the contestants names in a hat and randomly choose a few names)
20kg good lift, took some weight off and did some holds and reps; 

Straight bar barbell curls
2 x 10, 1 x 6 @ 30kg, quick up, very slow down. Suddenly biceps gave up. After this repping out with 15kg dumbbellcurls till failure. 

In general I am trying to build up some more horsepowers in my wrists and open handstrength, while also concentrating on quality closes with grippers instead of trying to PR all the time. All over body training will pretty basic. 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 4

Awesome time hanging out man - you catch any gators in florida? Or maybe a gator in a mouse costume?

• Like 1

I finally got to meet the guy who first welcomed me to the gripboard back in 2011. It was a real pleasure man. 

• Like 1

I had a great time guys and thank you all for the replies. I liked every part of the trip but the first part from NY to the comp in NJ and Washington, before going to Florida, was the best. 
I talked to so many guys during the comp from Richard Sorin to a man I never spoke before, Gustav, from Canada who is 68 and former arm wrestler who is still very strong. All very kind to me and my family. Boy did we have some good laughs after the comp till the small hours with the special magic potion from @Amber Edwards and @Tank Andrade (moonshine, dangerous stuff) and @Squeezus giving us some insights in his brain which at a certain point just got too difficult for most of us :blink and @Anton.Torrella HAVING A LOT OF FUN :laugh but at some point I just was so wasted that I went upstairs to bed. @Anton.Torrella woke up the next morning under a FBBC banner in Nate's cellar if I recall right lol  Also: Stroopwafel. Or: 'Stroepwaaavle' as was pronounced. 

Breakfast the next morning at the Brous' house was delicious and I again almost crapped my pants laughing with the NY gang. 

Still have to do a write up but days and time just flew by since we're back. Now first working day already done pfft. 

Training today

Got to start somewhere again. Time to find a groove again. I made some reminders for myself that I now find at a few places in the house, confronting me with the fact that I have a task still to be finished regarding the IM#3. Hope to get this SOB at some point. Damn I will die trying. Just plowing further, trying new stuff and tweaks in my training. One of the 'new' add ons in my training is greasing the groove. See how that works. Wont go into detail much, just see how it works after a period of consistent training. Training will bring all kinds of challenges because of work, my wife being away for her work here and there so life will probably demand it's toll. 

Pistols; 
Rear foot elevated split squats with kettlebell, these made my butt and legs go numb pretty quick after a few sets; 
Flat bench, working sets 3 x 5 @ 85kg/187lbs. Need to get into this again; 
BW dips 3 x 6 @ bw, quick up, very slow down; 
Triceps cable pushdowns;
Hanging leg raises. 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 4

Grip only workout, only worksets noted. Lower arms had DOMS from last gripsession till app. two days ago so I am aiming for the right supercompensation moment. Kinda. 
DOMS was likely caused by the RT wrist curls. pretty much the only gripmovement beside Fatgripz extreme after not training for a while, that can cause DOMS for me. 

Grippers
Filed BBGM (137 before filing) 3 x 3  20mm blockset, RB240 (135) 1 x 5 20mm blockset;

Rolling Thunder
Up till 75 kg/165 lbs. 

Small Lucas Raymond pinch block
Up to 25kg, 27.5 failed (around 60lbs). 
Holds and some repwork with 22.5 kg; 
Thumbscrews mounted on IM#1 (boths hands) 3 x  repping out with slow eccentrics; 

Rolling Thunder wrist curls
22.5kg, angle makes a lot of difference. Worked thumbless and with regular grip. 

Strong!  Your gripper strength is legit!

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Shatterer said:

Strong!  Your gripper strength is legit!

Thanks dude. 

Fell back on the log, had a pretty relaxed week apart from normal business at work, even had the kids out a few days who were staying over at my parents. So in theory i should feel well rested, but in reality since I am back from the US, I only had just a few good nights. No idea why this is. But during the day I am feeling pretty tired in the afternoon and it is hard to get that spark going for a nice training session. 

Monday
Single leg work, shoulderpress, benchpress, trying out a different approach for my pressing to get my bench a bit going. Got a nice workout going, but my arms felt a bit heavy, specially when I wanted to do some opposing movements with pulls, my biceps felt a bit cranky. 

Tonight
So, again, feeling a bit tired without a very specific reason, I went in the garage and did my normal warming up routine, which felt neutral. Decided still to test, since I want to know where I am gripperwise now, after fumbling around with sets and reps last sessions. Turns out the set on heavier grippers is seriously out of whack and I had to give my everything for a 169 Elite close which was very deep set. Strength depleted very rapidly, so I really need to work on this, if I want a decent crush again. It will get better though. Just didn´t feel like doing anything else anymore. One of those days....

No more training this week. After the vacation I really need to find my mojo back. I say Grr. 

Edited by Geralt

On 2017-08-09 at 1:10 PM, Geralt said:

Rolling Thunder wrist curls
22.5kg, angle makes a lot of difference. Worked thumbless and with regular grip. 

Rolling Thunder wrist curls sound interesting. Have you used these much? Thoughts?

Al

Edited by terminal

56 minutes ago, terminal said:

Rolling Thunder wrist curls sound interesting. Have you used these much? Thoughts?

Al

Hmm difficult to say yet. I am doing them  to benefit the RT lifts, because I noticed I always cock my wrist by a small bit when doing a RT lift, so I though it wouldn't hurt to strengthen the flexors with the same device. I think, when writing this, that I perhaps even made the ROM a bit too big, since the wrist movement is almost static when lifting. So the ROM could stay pretty small. If you try this, I am very curious to your experience. But before we see what it really does it will take a few weeks at least. However, it is a movement that hits the lowerarms very hard, so caution is needed when performing them. I do the wristcurls standing by the way, one feet on a big block, and leaning on that leg with the curling arm, from there on I can change the angle a bit to what feels more comfortable and gives the best range. Because of standing on the block with the supporting leg I can lower the weight more easy otherwise the loading pin would hit the ground with every rep. 

Started out working in the yard but it kept raining at a certain point so I deviated from the plan and decided to train instead and do sort of a rematch griptraining for last Thursday.

Only the working sets mentioned.
Grippers
 IM#3 (Rgc 150 cpw, which I won/got at SJ4)
1 x mms closed;
3x wider sets (around1.5", probably little bit smaller) closes and kept closed for 5 seconds each rep. Not bad considered doing  heavy Elite closes last Thursday who felt pretty crappy                   because of a weak set); 

Left (off) hand IM#3 (Rgc 142 cpw)  1 x 1 closed from MMS, 2 x 1 pretty close. Lefty is going so so gripperwise. 

Rolling Thunder
200 lbs 3 x 3, assisted the lifting hand with the other free hand, getting the weight up and letting it go at the top, the pressure I need to apply isn't that much. Trying to up the weight like this and see if I can get carryover to the regular RT lifts. Kinda overload principle. 

Delmar Carter stub
For the ones who didn't see this one already, Delmar ( @acromegaman) made these cool stubs for everyone attending the SJ4 competition. I took a few extra for @RTvG, @Royz and @Joefrey so we can have a little bit of fun down here and see what numbers we can get. Roy lifted 16,5 kg on it, as he posted on Instagram, and after a few lifts I really had to warm up and also got that. Tough little thing when the weight goes up. pressure side of my indexfinger is burning now. 

Also other thumbwork and called it a day. I added a photo to show you guys how neat and well crafted this thing is. Photo courtesy of @mightyjoe

DC stub.jpg

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 3

Enjoyed a long walk with the family today, enjoyed the local scenery, ate in the forest, really enjoyed the moment. Came back and since I have a pretty busy day tomorrow, i decided to do training this afternoon. 

Only worksets,

Trapbar 165kg 2 x 3; 
SIngle legwork (rear foot elevated splitsquat) with 24kg kettlebell; 
Shoulderpress for reps, max reps @45kg; 
Benchpress for reps, reps 2 x 10 @70kg;
Barbellcurls supersetted with pushups from stands. 

Again, all mentioned are the workingsets. 

Wednesday August 23th

Workingsets close gripbench with swissbar for reps; 
Dips with weighted vest; 
Abs legraises. 

Today

Grippers
IM#3 (150rgc) 1.5" blocksetclose, felt pretty easy;
Ghp8 (176rgc) MMS attempt, miss, forced closed and turned into negative; 
IM#2.5 (130) CCS close and when closing, inserted thin strap with 1kg hold for at least 5+ secs every single; 

Cycled the Ghp8 and IM#2.5 straphold x 3 in total.  4 minutes rest in between. 

Rolling thunder
Grippers were pretty intense for me (strapholds are killing, specially from the CCS position) so 70kg already felt pretty tough. 
Did some assisted negatives and ended with 60kg holds; 

Anvil stub
up till 15kg, felt pretty tough also. 1.5kg lower than last week, even after thoroughly warming up; 

Inchpinch (small thumb pinch block for one hand, can't use the whole hand)
Up to 27.5 kg, filmed it and posted on IG, got a much better lift afterwards. Hope to get 30kg somewhere in the next month. 

Ended with thumbscrews for reps on Vulcan. 

• Like 2

I did not note the workouts during the last week here, but nothing special to mention. Combination of pushing and pulling stuff. 

I made a 'new' strap for strapholds, which is very slick and thin, being a piece of Ironmind wrap which I made a loop with. It is almost paper thin and it takes a lot of work to keep the handles closed with enough overcrush. Wasn't on my best today, compared to last week,  but I still made a short vid of what I did, just for fun, so you can see some things I did today. Assistance training also not on my best today, though a small pr on the Inchpinch. 

https://youtu.be/MIOQQCSZU6g

Yesterday one hour session of shoulderpresses, laterals,  and weighted chinups, rows (plus shoulder pullbacks) and biceps. Arms felt like jelly afterwards. 
Afterwards made a 2 hour walk with the family through the woods. 

Edited by Geralt

Today first session of the new year as I turned 40 yesterday. 
I need a another kettlebell, the jump in warming up with shoulderpresses from 12kg to 24kg is a bit harsh. 
Trained before work, in the morning. 

Kettlebell swings, 5 x 20, this was pretty intense, with squeezing everything tight.
Kettlebell shoulderpresses, 2 x 5 @24kg, 1 x 3. Focus on good form and I still need to get the technique down. 
Narrow grip benching with swissbar, 5 x 5; 
BW Dips, 3 x 6, till full lockout with triceps and slow downwards. Pretty tough. 
Hanging leg raises.