Vulcan Settings

CFlaherty

Quick question for anyone that has experience with the Vulcan. On the setting list it refers to the rear spring and the front spring. I am assuming that the rear spring is the one that would be in the palm on the thumb side and the front spring would be in the fingers, can anyone confirm this? Also I have been putting the side that is angled on my thumb side with the straight and longer handle in my fingers. Is this correct as well?

@Jedd Johnson has some good videos explaining it but here is the gist.

Your setup sounds correct as far as thumbside vs palm side

Your spring determines the starting level but assuming you are using orange:

Both sides of spring in the first notches is level 0. 

move the palm side up 1 for lvl1

Move palm back to 0, and finger side up 1 for lvl2

Move both sides up to notch 2 for lvl3.

Basically every notch = 3 levels. 

If you have a black or chrome spring lvl0 is actually like level 3 or 6 i think. 

1 hour ago, Adam Juncker said:

If you have a black or chrome spring lvl0 is actually like level 3 or 6 i think. 

Cool thanks for the clarification

14 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

I don't think there are any actual levels for the orange spring but I've been told that 11 and 11 is about a lvl 18, which seems about right after training on it. Your method would put it at a lvl 30. Vulcan levels are a bit confusing with all the different springs. The black one does start at level 3 and the crom at level 6 but the crom levels are significantly harder to set / harder through the full ROM so personally I would say you can't really accurately compare the different springs.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Paul Savage said:

I don't think there are any actual levels for the orange spring but I've been told that 11 and 11 is about a lvl 18, which seems about right after training on it. Your method would put it at a lvl 30. Vulcan levels are a bit confusing with all the different springs. The black one does start at level 3 and the crom at level 6 but the crom levels are significantly harder to set / harder through the full ROM so personally I would say you can't really accurately compare the different springs.

I have the Crom spring and it is really tough to set

1 hour ago, Paul Savage said:

I agree, I have an orange, black, and chrome spring and you can't really compare them. @CFlaherty, I would just document which spring you use and the notch settings for training purposes. It's kind of like gripper rating before the RGC method was established. Levels are a bit ambiguous and difficult to objectively compare. 

• 6 months later...

Bump. I'm interested in getting a vulcan gripper, but with all the different springs it's difficult to know which one I should get. I'm a gripper newbie. Is it better to get more than one spring, and if so, which ones? On David Hornes website it says only crom and orange are available right now. Might I as well get both?

Get both because the crom spring is very tough. Orange levels goes from super easy to maybe CoC 2.5 or something, while crom goes from CoC 1.5 to 4++++. Just a very rough estimate so you get the idea.

51 minutes ago, Anemptybox said:

Get both because the crom spring is very tough. Orange levels goes from super easy to maybe CoC 2.5 or something, while crom goes from CoC 1.5 to 4++++. Just a very rough estimate so you get the idea.

Alright, thanks for the info! :)

Are the gold springs still produced? I like it a lot, seems pretty consistent. But even between the Vulcan batches themselves there are differences in spread which make the whole feel of spring also hard to compare if you have a Vulcan  V1 vs V2. 

Edited by Geralt

PLEASE NOTE: ONLY CROM AND ORANGE SPRINGS AVAILABLE
David said on his ws directly after the pic of the springs.

Cant say anything about the V1 only have the later V2. But handles seem to have the same angle!?

Edited by Stewy