Bill lepage-Road to the red nail-part 1

Sapper88

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=NypDZEggfDY

Training towards the red nail. Progressive bending medley. Ironmind blue nail in ironmind wraps, 1/4 X 6" grade 5 bolt In ironmind wraps, and 1/4 X 6" grade 8 bolt. Almost quit on the grade 8 but stuck it out.

How close do you guys think I am?

• Like 1

Bill, 

It is kinda hard to tell how close you are to bending a Red Nail because you are bending 6" stock in the video. If your primary goal is bending a 7" red then it will benefit you much, much more to bend only 7" stock. I would personally buy all the K, L, M and N drill rod you can bend in the next few months. The usual norm on older reds was that when you could bend a 7" piece of N drill rod then you were ready. Now, it seems the reds are a little harder batch. You may want to move that barometer up to 21/64 DR or P rod.

Also, it appears you are using mostly arms and chest for your kink because you are staying leaned back most of the time. During the kink, you need to kind of roll your shoulders forward and down to engage your shoulders and back. You will get far more power this way. By using all chest and arms during the kink and sweep, you are gonna be wasted when it comes to the crush. Drill rod is a good bit harder to crush and finish off compared to standard CRS. Watch all the Paul Knight, Tommy Jennings, David Wigren and EJ Livesey videos that you can. These guys have also contributed to some super informative posts in the bending forum in the past few years. The best beginning form video is probably Sean Cashman's video. Once you get your technique down, the power will come much more fluidly.

Good Luck

• Like 1

Thanks for the detailed response. I am going to take your advice and get some of that stock this week as well research some more while refining my technique.

Definitely study the pinned threads at the top, especially the one with the important videos. Cashman's DO technique video and the wrapping video is there.

Solid advice already.

Whatever level you are on...make sure you master it in single IMPs before moving to the next harder one.

As was mentioned, the newer reds are a step up.

Anton was bending bastards in 7 seconds, right before missing his first red cert (never attempting a new one before).

He regrouped, came back and took names.

So...dial in the technique and...volume, volume, volume.

All the points made so far are just so important you should memorize them.

The biggest "mistake" I've made with bending is bending far, far too many bars 6 inches or shorter before I tried "progressing" to 7 inch stuff. 

It truly was a tough lesson and a hole I've just recently decided to again try to battle my way out of.  Perhaps volume is my only cure.

Great. Thank you guys for the tips. I am most of the way through the recommended videos. I see where the mistakes are that you mentioned. Bending again today. I will apply the technique changes and see how it goes. Maybe do a new video to have you guys check my new form. 

• Like 1

That red will be cake soon brotha 

• Like 2