2017 International King Kong Grip Challenge - October 28th

Eric Roussin

1 hour ago, Ivan Pupchenko said:

Thank you Eric, Gil and Andrew for organizing the tournament and assisting in holding tournament in Ukraine!
My first test of new flask:

https://vk.com/club128387194?z=video-128387194_456239156%2Fc75102794c27f07d49%2Fpl_post_-128387194_745

Strong lift! Nice work.

3 hours ago, Squeezus said:

Strong lift! Nice work.

Thank you! Now I must train harder and harder to show a decent result in the autumn!

On 4/7/2017 at 9:30 AM, Eric Roussin said:

Live streaming is nice. The downside is that it can potentially create an unfair advantage in an international multi-venue comp for those competing in western venues. Within each venue, competitors only know the weights being attempted by those at their venue. Knowing what the failed and successful attempts made at other venues prior to competing can inform your decisions as to what weights to attempt. It's why we discourage online discussion of results until action at all venues has wrapped up.

There's no rule against live streaming, but I'm just writing this so that you are aware of the potential issues (though I admit that only very few of the keenest competitors would try to use this information to their advantage).

My opinion is that I think you should make a rule for no live-streaming, since it releases record of previous comps to later locations. 

• Like 1

We can try to make it a rule, but I don't know how we could enforce it.

To me it seems kind of easy - don't live stream, or your site is disqualified.  This is to protect the integrity of the contest.

I'm not prepared to disqualify venues/competitors for live-streaming. My hope is that everyone will realize that it has the potential to influence attempts made in western venues and will therefore be strongly discouraged.

And realistically you'll only be compromising the competitors of the venue being streamed. Once they realize this they should be able to police themselves. 

• 1 month later...

Great news! For the first time ever, Norway will host a King Kong venue! Thank you Eirik Bruun Ingebretsen!

• Like 7

On 5/23/2017 at 10:14 AM, Jedd Johnson said:

To me it seems kind of easy - don't live stream, or your site is disqualified.  This is to protect the integrity of the contest.

It's not worth the effort to police the issue. If for example a stream or post says the best crusher lift in Russia is 90kg then everyone in western time zones will know to aim for 90.1kg. With as competitive as everyone is I doubt that will happen more than once.  

7 hours ago, Eric Roussin said:

Great news! For the first time ever, Norway will host a King Kong venue! Thank you Eirik Bruun Ingebretsen!

Eirik and Thomas!! 2 fine gentlemen and incredible gripsters

• Like 2

A limited supply of stubs can be purchased at FBBC and Barrel Strength if you in the USA or Canada.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Yet another promoter is on board: Harri Tolonen will host a venue in Järvenpää, Finland!

We're now up to 16 venues in 7 countries, and there are discussions for even more!

• Like 4

Hey guys, I made a super short (so it can fit on Instagram) post about King Kong and the events. Feel free to share with your friends with short attention spans!

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 06/05/2017 at 11:02 AM, Andrew P said:

Video of the events. 

@terminal, Andrew States which pin works on here. 

HUGE NEWS:

This year, there will be a King Kong venue in Melbourne, Australia! Andrew Lea will be hosting the event. Note that the Australian contest will be run a week prior on October 21st, due to a scheduling conflict. 

Also, Andrey Terenyev will be hosting the contest in Moscow, Russia! This brings the total number of locations to 18! Can we break the 200-competitor barrier this year?

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

Is there an exact write up of the event rules?

I will be putting together this year's rules document and sharing it with promoters next week. Soon after, it will be posted online.

• Like 2

On 9/7/2017 at 10:25 PM, terminal said:

Is it required to use an FBBC loading pin or is an equivalent acceptable?

The FBBC loading pin is the official loading pin for the event. The world of grip pin is also acceptable for the stub. 

Yet another location has been confirmed! Nate Brous will host a venue in South Jersey!

• Like 7

6 hours ago, Andrew P said:

The FBBC loading pin is the official loading pin for the event. The world of grip pin is also acceptable for the stub. 

Thanks Andrew

• 2 weeks later...

ANNOUNCEMENTS:

There will not be a venue in Portland, Oregon. In its place, there will be a venue in nearby Gresham, Oregon. Michael Thomas will be hosting.

Aldo Alberico will host the Italian King Kong contest a week early on October 21st due to a scheduling conflict.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

• 4 weeks later...

Can anybody point me in the direction of info on the Wyalusing King Kong event? I haven't had any luck finding the details on the venue or how to sign up.