Horseshoe source

Donc101

What is the best place to order horseshoes for bending on-line?

What would you recommend a beginner to order?  

Thanks.

In before @nickr104.

https://www.ken-davis.com

Tell them you know Nick.

You don't need beginner shoes, Don.

I would however get some St. Croix Forge Ultralite Rim #2's. They are one of the eaisiest shoes. It will help you figure out the "heart" or "paperclip" or barehand...

They are also a great shoe to hand to people who have never bent before(to give them a little taste). 

There are a few horseshoe progression list out there. I believe Carl Mertz had a pretty extensive one.  

I would buy a few at each size and work your way up the list.

All the best.

Edited by JHenze646
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, JHenze646 said:

In before @nickr104.

https://www.ken-davis.com

Tell them you know Nick.

You don't need beginner shoes, Don.

I would however get some St. Croix Forge Ultralite Rim #2's. They are one of the eaisiest shoes. It will help you figure out the "heart" or "paperclip" or barehand...

They are also a great shoe to hand to people who have never bent before(to give them a little taste). 

There are a few horseshoe progression list out there. I believe Carl Mertz had a pretty extensive one.  

I would buy a few at each size and work your way up the list.

All the best.

Josh, I checked out that web page this morning.  That is a great site.  Tons of different shoes.  I am going to put an order together this week.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the info guys, much appreciated. 

• 1 month later...

Ken Davis is my go to! Great place family owned.  They treat me like Norm from Cheers when I walk in:)

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

If you can find a local farrier supplier, you will be much better off.  Ken is the next best thing.  I spent over $2000 at my local supplier.  She was sad when I stopped bending.  I bought more than any of her farrier customers.  Haha

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

I just had an order come in from Ken Davis.  Lots of fun and good training here!

IMG_0335.JPG

• Like 4

• 1 year later...

So I did my first horseshoe this past Saturday, St Croix Ultralite No. 2, as is often recommended.  The bend was fine but I couldn't quite heart it, I think I need to practice technique a bit and get a little stronger at bending.  Any suggestion for an easier shoe for heart/paperclip/infinity symbol practice?  I will still work up to harder than Ultralite 2 for the initial bends but I am also interested in the art of it ...

Chris Rider's video suggests thoro bred light and heavy training plates for easier bends, but they seem to come in sizes 2 through 10 and I have no idea if it matters what size I order -- what would compare in size to an ultralite 2?

Thanks for any help.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

So I did my first horseshoe this past Saturday, St Croix Ultralite No. 2, as is often recommended.  The bend was fine but I couldn't quite heart it, I think I need to practice technique a bit and get a little stronger at bending.  Any suggestion for an easier shoe for heart/paperclip/infinity symbol practice?  I will still work up to harder than Ultralite 2 for the initial bends but I am also interested in the art of it ...

Chris Rider's video suggests thoro bred light and heavy training plates for easier bends, but they seem to come in sizes 2 through 10 and I have no idea if it matters what size I order -- what would compare in size to an ultralite 2?

Thanks for any help.

Sizes are similar for all shoes.  Stick with 1s and 2s while you are learning.  I've bent 8s, which were huge.  Can't imagine wrastlin with a 10!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mike Rinderle said:

Sizes are similar for all shoes.  Stick with 1s and 2s while you are learning.  I've bent 8s, which were huge.  Can't imagine wrastlin with a 10!

Oh good, thanks.  I'm going to order some training plates then to do more interesting bends, and a couple more ultralite rim 2 and a couple harder to work up the strength.  I have not enjoyed nail and rod bending that much but I kinda liked doing the shoe, so I will give that kind of bending a little more chance.  Grip and pinch are more my thing though.

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Thanks for any help.

Congrats on the first shoe!  Once you get the hand and body positioning down, the UL2s will melt when taking it past 180/hearting.  It just takes some time with it.  But once you get it, it's much less of a challenge.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Vinnie said:

Thanks for any help.

Nice job Vinnie! Horseshoes are lots of fun. Post your progress so we can follow along. 

• Like 2