FG DB to Inch omparison

JamesG

I know this is a ballpark and you can't get an exact answer but curious what at least is close to the Inch DB when adding Fat Grips to dbs? Anyone tested both or have a rough idea?

The biggest difference with be the rotational force you have to fight with the inch DB. Since the Inch is one solid piece, the globes cause the handle to rotate in your hand (peeling your hand open) as you pick it up and you have to fight this force. The inch DB is more difficult than just a regular dumbbell with a thick handle for this reason.  Ways to cheat lift the inch include tilting it so the globe hits your hand and stops the rotational or to use your other hand to stop the rotation. because of this, in my opinion they are too difficult to compare just based on weight.  

• Like 1

Closest device that compares is the FBBC pro DB. Pro DB is really difficult once you set your weight. IMO the rotation is emulated perfectly. 

• Like 1

I know I can go at least 30-40 pounds more on a Fat Grips than a solid bell. But that is going to vary a lot from person to person I expect. 

43 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Closest device that compares is the FBBC pro DB. Pro DB is really difficult once you set your weight. IMO the rotation is emulated perfectly. 

Ya, I would buy a product like this for a better comparison. I had Aaron C make me one. Even a rotating thick handle like the crusher is better for a comparison.  

Edited by Chez

As already mentioned, there is simply no "ballpark" answer to this question - particularly if you take variable hand size into consideration.

You get basically no rotation affect with a Fat Gripz which means you're simply challenged by the  (dead) weight and thickness. Your thumb is of course "working" - but not to the humbling extent it has to when dealing with a weight that just wants to perpetually centre itself.

I've found that a 2.5" handle if you get the plates locked in tight so they can't move will give you a rolling feeling. I'm sure its not nearly as much but its similar, I think lol