QUEST TO CLOSE LITTLE MONSTER

Paul Markowski

After having worked with the Lil' Monster gripper for just over 2 months now, and doing some major research on interviews that Kinney gave about how he trained with his Monster Gripper, I am now on my ultimate quest to officially close the Lil' Monster Gripper.

Looking back on input Kinney gave to both the GripBoard and the Iron Mind Board, I truly believe that I will close this gripper if I can avoid all the pitfalls (injuries) that Kinney points out in his responses.  For example, I have noticed that as I do 10-second holds on the Lil' Monster, the short handle does indeed rip into my palm to the extent that an injury may be in my immediate future.  Kinney points out that one should not worry about the better leverage you can get by keeping your hand lower on the gripper; rather, to accept the fact that by putting your hand higher up on the gripper (thus reducing your leverage) will make it tougher to close BUT less likely to result in injury (palm bruise).  This is just one example of the "tips" that Kinney gives out in these posts that he made years back.  

After putting all his ideas together, I am confident that I will someday close this gripper.  Now, on to the battle!!

IMG_7649.thumb.JPG.60e05a2254625821170255b39fe0ac38.JPG

Did 9 sets today with the Little Monster.  Ten second holds. Cannot get those handles to touch yet but it was still a productive workout.  Kinney was right in that (as you will notice in the video) if you move your hand up closer to the spring, there is NO MORE palm pain during the set...of course, as you move that hand up the gripper, it also gets much tougher to close....I also found that out today.

See video below.....

Little Monster Great Rep.MOV

Edited by Paul Markowski

Would like to clarify my goals for the Little Monster Gripper:

• to get handles to touch while using Power Rack as leverage
  • then, on to being able to keep handles touching for at least 1 second...then for up to 10 seconds

Remember, though someday I would indeed like to be able to close this gripper officially using nothing but hand power, the reason I am doing this radical holds/negative rep training is to overload my hands in order to get stronger to close "regular" grippers and to cert on a whole slew of grippers. 

Today, the video of one of my sets (see below) was by far my best set on this training day....though I am still a ways away from having the handles touch (remember, the short handle has been cut to allow for a beyond-the-range type close) I know that this was the closest I have ever been during any one set of having those suckers touch! 

Little_Monster_10_second_hold_03_28_17.MOV

• 3 weeks later...

Today, I did an extremely good set with the Silvis Megalodon gripper in the power rack....was able to use body weight to get initial close and then come off of it a bit and used mostly shear grip power to keep it very close to the closed position for about an 11 second hold....felt great!!  See video................

Megalodon_12_second_hold_4_13_2017.MOV

Did a great set with the Silvis Megalodon Gripper today for a 9 second hold in Power Rack (also used the Silvis 1" Diameter Gripper of Doom handle...beyond the range version) to make this even tougher to accomplish.....see video below....

Megalodon_9_second_hold_with_Gripper_of_Doom_Handle_(BTR)_4_17_2017.MOV

• 2 weeks later...

Did some great holds in power rack with a modified GHP 10  gripper today.  Used a 10 inch copper extended handle on the #10...scariest part in doing this type of grip work was when I was trying to get my hand situated on the top handle and the bottom GHP handle started to roll around the copper tubing....was worried it night "turn" on me as I tried to close it....but it settled down....at least enough for me to bear down on it and hold for 10 seconds...see video below....

GHP 10, ten second hold in power rack 4.27.17.MOV

• 3 weeks later...