Repair the tear

Jared Goguen

I've been thinking that maybe it would be good for me to start a log here and ill do my best to keep up with it.

So about 4 months I ago I tore the lateral epicondyle in my right elbow, I'm not exactly sure how but I suspect the culprit to be blob floor drags, and then following advice I read on the internet that made it worse, and then a misdiagnosis from a doctor didn't help, and then the first physically therapist I saw took my doctors misdiagnosis and had me doing stuff that didn't help. After that mess with little to no progress and still in a ton of pain I found a proper physically therapist that has been able to help me and now I've finished my six weeks with her and I'm on my own.

So to give an idea of the level of pain I was in I would compare it to having a needle twisted in my elbow when I would do simple things like reach over to grab the seatbelt in the car, sometimes grabbing something out of the fridge would send a shooting pain that would almost buckle the knees at times.

Currently I would say that it's about 80-85% better now but my right arm feels weak as can be.

So I guess the purpose of the training log is to show my rehab, and start to build of my right arm again.

Current Program:

Wrist Extensor Stretch: 2-3 sets, holds 20-30 seconds, 2-3 times per day.

Resisted Wrist Extension: 3 sets, slow eccentric resistance with the theraband. Once per day.

Side Lying Shoulder External Rotation: 3 sets, 6-8 reps, with a tiny 20lb dumbbell, every other day.

Pronation with a 4lb hammer: 3 sets, 6-8 reps, every other day.

Tricept Stretch: 2-3 sets, 30 second holds, twice per day.

Grippers: Nothing to special here, just some light rep work with a trainer.

BSS Dexterity Balls: 5 minutes in each direction.

Compex E-stim: I run a 25 minute program on it before bed.

• Like 2

I haven't torn my lateral epicondyle but I've wrecked it over the years with too much armwrestling. It's definitely frustrating when you get a misdiagnosis too, that happened when I tore my collateral ligament in my right hand. I thought I would never train grippers again. I think you are on the right track with stretching and active recovery.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Adam Juncker said:

I haven't torn my lateral epicondyle but I've wrecked it over the years with too much armwrestling. It's definitely frustrating when you get a misdiagnosis too, that happened when I tore my collateral ligament in my right hand. I thought I would never train grippers again. I think you are on the right track with stretching and active recovery.

Thanks, I think over the coming months ill just slowly start working back into grippers with my right hand, and feel it out as I go.

Nothing too special here but the rehab is going well.

I was able to close a 102 RGC gripper the other day which is the hardest thing I have touched in the past 4 month, I had a lot more in me but I need to not push it.

I need time and more rehab.

• Like 6

• 2 months later...

Small little update. The rehab has been working, my elbow has been feeling strong.

This video is about two weeks old but it told me what I wanted to know.

I have some lofty pinch goals I guess like a bodyweight pinch on the Flask and a good solid lift on my Blob50. Ill test again in 12 weeks or so and see where I'm at with this.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...