Under the Radar - Grip Profile - Jason Steeves

anwnate

Today's profile features Jason Steeves.

With over 4000 posts on the GripBoard in the 8+ years he's been here, Jason can be considered a prolific poster.  What's really interesting about that…is that nearly half of his count stems from his training log.  His GripBoard training log  literally has more posts than all of mine combined…and he started it AFTER I got on board.  In two words…Jason trains!  It's a rare day you don't see an update on his training log.  And…he trains nearly everything. 

Not only an accomplished bender (he's one of the few benders that have an "Elite" reverse style bend to go with his staunch Double Overhand), this guy can basically do any strongman feat he puts his mind too.  Roll a frying pan…check.  Stone lifting…check.  Sledgehammers…check.  Tear a deck of cards in half…check.  Smash a beer can with just his hands…check.  Jason sets a goal, masters it, then moves to the next goal.  This Dude-Eh?  (He's Canadian ;) ) is relentless.  There are literally too many vids to link to…so I'll just point you to his youtube channel

In 2012, as a GripBoard newbie…I noticed Jason's log.  Bam...Bam...Bam!  I'm pretty sure he's done more squats in a month…than I have in my life.  More than once I've been like…"He's squatting again?"  Not only a strong gripster, Steeves is a seriously strong man.  When he has a setback or injury…he doesn't stop…he just works around it.  Honeybadger don't care…and neither does Jason.

Over time, I grew to appreciate not only Jason's incredible work ethic, but also his commitment to excellence in anything he trains.  The crazy thing about this…is that he lives in impressively non-grip friendly environment.  Surrounded by wilderness (or farming)…with less than 5 square miles and less than 7000 people, Rocky Mountain House(AL, Canada), isn't exactly the hub (pun intended) of the Grip World.  The "hot" months only average 70(f).  Somehow, this did not deter him.  With opportunities to compete, few and far between, Jason is motivated by personal improvement.  His fortitude can be held up as a standard to work toward.  Reaching out to him on Facebook…I learned that he has his own particular brand of humor and interests.  Although he is far from the cookie cutter people one might meet in daily life…he is approachable, kind and considerate. 

Before turning this profile to the man himself, I think it's important to mention his "handle."  ON the GripBoard, Steeves is know as "Shoggoth", a nod to the H.P. Lovecrafts monster in the Cthulhu Mythos.

Upon researching this, I was unsurprised to find out that these Shoggoths were incredibly versatile creatures that often made use of their size and strength.  Jason also maintains his log on facebook…where you can find out that his "gym" is a ongoing process of completely taking over his basement.  There are few grip goodies you won't find there…and if I was local, I'd be over there as often as Jason…and Gail (the wifey) would put up with.  I recently found out that Shoggoth himself will be attending SJ4, so I will get to meet yet another Gripster I've looked up to and learned from.

shoggoth profile done.jpg

7 Questions to get to know Jason.

1.  What are your stats?  Gripboard Name, Age, Height (inches/meters), Weight (lbs/kgs), R/L dominant hand size (cm/in), Country/City (or region … whatever you are comfortable with), Relationship Status, Kids?, Occupation ("international spy" is acceptable) 

Gripboard Name: Shoggoth

Height: 5’11.5” (yes,,,the half inch matters)

Weight: 230lb (104kg)  For the majority of the past few years I’ve been 265-280lbs(120-127kg).  I plan on leaning down to the 215# or so mark.

Hand:  8”(20.3cm) 9” (22.9cm) spread - Right hand dominant

Relationship Status:  Married to a very patient Gail, two step-children, one grand-goober and another on its way.

Occupation: Currently unemployed.  For the past 17 years or so I’ve been a oil & gas construction estimator.

2.  Why did you start training grip (and how long is it now)? 

I started grip training back in 2007.  I didn’t know anything about it.  I was losing my grip on deadlifts so I did some internet searching and came across Adam Glass’ blog.  It was really interesting as a lot of his content from back then was feat focused or feat training.  I spent a lot of time on learning to tear cards, bend nails, and lever sledge hammers.   I eventually came across Ironmind, Jedd, David Horne, Dennis Rogers, Steve McGranahan, and FBBC and began picking up training media and implements.

2008, I joined the Gripboard and I think it was around this time that I also joined David Horne’s old forum.  I wasn’t very active and just did a lot of lurking.  There used to be a ton of good blogs back then too.  I think I may be about the only person using Blogger anymore and Ben Edwards on his Word Press site.  The days of mass content being uploaded to the blogs has long gone…which is pretty sad.

2009, I started to get more chatty and ended up being pretty good internet buddies with Mike Rinderle.  In May of 2010, I stayed with Mike for a couple of weeks and competed at his Capitol Grip Cup.  It was great meeting.  I got to meet so many folks that I’d only chatted with on the forums or facebook before . Sadly, out of all of the competitors, I think myself, Tommy Heslep and Bobby Goodfellow were the only ones really actively training.  The other competitors probably are too I suppose but have reduced their online presence to almost nothing.

2010 I moved from the Edmonton Area back to my hometown.   I didn’t have my gym set-up for quite a while so I focused on bending and kettlebell work.

2011 and 2013 I travelled to Tucson, AZ to compete at Aaron Corcorran’s Spring Shootout and met a whole other group of strength athlete’s.  Sadly I’ve seen a lot from this crowd stop competing and training as well but Aaron and Martin Braun always seem to find more to bring out.

The people I’ve met through this sport/hobby are fantastic.  Gail was always amazed when I’d say I was heading off somewhere to stay with someone I’d never met face to face.  I would tell her these are some of the best people you’re likely ever to meet.  I think that’s the case the world over (although there are some shady folks out east I think… :) ). 

From the end of 2012 to 2015 I pretty much stopped a lot of grip training.  I began arm wrestling with the hope of bringing a few into grip sport but that never really panned out.  I was getting really hammered from 2-3 sessions of table time a week with some of Canada’s best. My competitive spirit for pulling left though.  Doing nothing but negatives day in, day out at the table produces some of the worst pain I’ve ever experienced and I knew I’d never be good enough for any sort of standing.   At least with iron…it always weighs the same.

In 2015, I started chatting with Jay Smith a lot more about grip.  He’d caught the bug bad and gave me the inspiration to get pinching again.  I travelled to Edmonton a couple of times for grip-togethers and a competition I put on in the Fall.  The primary competitors are from either the strongman, Scottish athletics, or powerlifting background.   These folks all have massively strong mitts and typically just need some more technique work.   Currently we’re all training for the Spring Clench event in April 2017.  Hopefully I can grow the sport out in Western Canada as Eric Roussin has done in the East.

3.  Before you die, what is your ULTIMATE grip goal/goals? 

I don’t  really have any “lifetime” grip goals.  Things seem to go into rotation lots for me.  I’d like to lift a blob (consistently).  It’s one of my grip bugbears.   I want to improve  grippers (a lot).  I also want to pull 220lbs on the Euro in comp…and of cours…lift the INCH.

I guess one good goal I have is to grow Gripsport in Alberta.   I'd like to bring it to a sustainable level…so that others are willing to put on competitions.

4.  How do you currently structure your overall training/how do you incorporate your grip training? 

With my weight loss over the past year, I’ve really had to watch my recovery.  Lifting in a consistent caloric deficit is a lot different that stuffing my face constantly.

Training goes like:

Monday - Shoulder press, row, shoulder assistance, triceps, abs

Tuesday - Squat, pull-ups, hammies, abs, grippers

Wednesday - Adj thick bar, gold bar, ½ penny, Euro assistance

Thursday - Bench press, row, chest and tricep assistance, abs, gripper

Friday - Deadlift, pull-ups, quads or hammies, abs

Saturday - Gripper, euro picks

5.  What hobbies (other than grip/bending/lifting) do you enjoy?

Probably schlock movies…70’s, 80’s, and early 90’s horror.   I’m a huge music fan as well.  Mainly stuff that no one else wants to hear haha!   Anything Lovecraftian, fantasy art from Frazetta, Vallejo, etc.  I’m also a member of the International Guild of Knot Tyers.

I also enjoy Welding, Philosophy, Religion, History, Cooking, Spirits and Teasing Gail.

I have more notions than a dog has fleas. :) 

6.  Do you have a personal anecdote, topic or thoughts you'd like to include in your profile?

Your ass can’t ride two bikes at once.  

With there being soooooo many implements, feats, etc. It’s very easy to be doing too much and to not really progress optimally at anything.  Find 1-3 “bang for your time” exercises, work them, and only focus on the specifics for competition peaking.

I have actually maintained…or even got stronger at some events after not training ANY specific grip for a couple of years.

7.  Who's Grip profile would you like to see next?

I’d like to hear more about Teemu Ilvesniemi 

Thanks Jason. Temmu has agreed and will be profiled soon.

• Like 16

Cool profile and great advice. Jason is one of my favorite people to follow on Instagram and Facebook.

• Like 2

Jason is a really cool guy. I asked him for some advice on my deadlift recently. I sent him a video of my form and he made a video breaking down my mistakes in like 10 mins literally. Hes also super funny. Love the stuff he posts on facebook. Can't wait to meet him this summer at SJ4. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Squeezus said:

Cool profile and great advice. Jason is one of my favorite people to follow on Instagram and Facebook.

Thanks man! No more Instagram for me. Too many fitness ladies following me for Gail's liking :D

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chez said:

Jason is a really cool guy. I asked him for some advice on my deadlift recently. I sent him a video of my form and he made a video breaking down my mistakes in like 10 mins literally. Hes also super funny. Love the stuff he posts on facebook. Can't wait to meet him this summer at SJ4. 

Thanks Chez! Hopefully I can get strong enough as to not embarrass myself, with grip stuff at least. 

• Like 2

Great profile.  I joined the GB right around the same time Jason did and we became instant friends.  One strong dude!

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, IROC-Z said:

Great profile.  I joined the GB right around the same time Jason did and we became instant friends.  One strong dude!

I can train hard for another 10 years and still not have your everyday bench

@anwnate I found a minor mistake 230# = 104kg, not 140. Unless you're still calling me tubby.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Shoggoth said:

@anwnate I found a minor mistake 230# = 104kg, not 140. Unless you're still calling me tubby.

ha!  Ty. Fixed.

• Like 1