New NAGS Committee Members!

Jedd Johnson

I want to take a moment to thank everyone who submitted an application for the openings on the NAGS Committee. 

The new members have been selected and notified.  Please join me in welcoming them aboard:  Gil Goodman & Jared Goguen

I also want to thank Allen Heineck, who was actually the first person to apply, and contacted me right away.  Having engaged people like you who are willing to put time and effort forth to help our sport is incredible, and I truly appreciate you, Allen.

I think our group is ready to do some great things and move our sport forward.

Thanks everyone, and stay tuned for more updates.

Jedd

• Like 17

I'm very thankful to be on the NAGS committee.

I have some big ideas to facilitate the growth of this sport and I promise to do everything I can to make Grip Sport bigger then ever before.

• Like 8

Thank you guys. I am happy to be able to serve this community in a larger capacity. Let's grow!

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I want to take a moment to thank everyone who submitted an application for the openings on the NAGS Committee. 

The new members have been selected and notified.  Please join me in welcoming them aboard:  Gil Goodman & Jared Goguen

I also want to thank Allen Heineck, who was actually the first person to apply, and contacted me right away.  Having engaged people like you who are willing to put time and effort forth to help our sport is incredible, and I truly appreciate you, Allen.

I think our group is ready to do some great things and move our sport forward.

Thanks everyone, and stay tuned for more updates.

Jedd

Excellent additions!  Congrats guys.

• Like 1

Very cool. Congrats guys. 

Are there any females on the NAGS committee? If not that would be important to have a female(s), too!!

Edited by Kluv#0

1 hour ago, Kluv#0 said:

Are there any females on the NAGS committee? If not that would be important to have a female(s), too!!

There are no women on the NAGS committee, but I know that I will be seeking advice from @MCrushetta and we will do our best to make this a more inclusive sport.

• Like 6

Just like Mr. Squeezus I want to make grip more inclusive of women, and younger humans.

I plan on consulting with my better half and all around strong lady when it comes to this subject.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2017 at 1:58 PM, Kluv#0 said:

No one put in.

On 3/10/2017 at 2:48 PM, Squeezus said:

There are no women on the NAGS committee, but I know that I will be seeking advice from @MCrushetta and we will do our best to make this a more inclusive sport.

why aren't there any women on the committee? Also, doing your best to make it more inclusive without any women on the committee seems like a bandaid for a larger problem.

35 minutes ago, MCrushetta said:

why aren't there any women on the committee? Also, doing your best to make it more inclusive without any women on the committee seems like a bandaid for a larger problem.

You should apply! 

• Like 1

We're just a bunch of old white guys who stepped up when there was a need and were chosen by the GB members.  It's not like a woman - an African American - an Asian - a Muslim - a Jew - etc ever volunteered to serve (I may be wrong I have no idea as to anyone's religion on the board).  Reminds me of a line from the old TV Show The West Wing.  "The world is run by those that show up".  Next time there's an opening "show up" and put your name in the hat.  It's not like people are beating down the doors to serve - maybe it's all the money we make or the hell we catch for our decisions? 

• Like 4

11 hours ago, MCrushetta said:

The invitation to put in was put out to ALL gripboard members.  We got 3 applicants. No women put in. 

9 hours ago, climber511 said:

We're just a bunch of old white guys who stepped up when there was a need and were chosen by the GB members.  It's not like a woman - an African American - an Asian - a Muslim - a Jew - etc ever volunteered to serve (I may be wrong I have no idea as to anyone's religion on the board).  Reminds me of a line from the old TV Show The West Wing.  "The world is run by those that show up".  Next time there's an opening "show up" and put your name in the hat.  It's not like people are beating down the doors to serve - maybe it's all the money we make or the hell we catch for our decisions? 

7 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

The invitation to put in was put out to ALL gripboard members.  We got 3 applicants. No women put in. 

I briefly considering throwing my hat in the ring, but I really think that the members have always been really accessible and willing to listen to anyone's suggestion (or even complaint...to see if it has merit).

@climber511 , @Jedd Johnson...when I first read Maria's post I got a little agitated and confused by what she wrote...because it seemed out of character for the person I've met several times.  I pretty much had you guys's thoughts running through my head.  I had assumed (to my surprise...incorrectly) that she had read and/or knew about the replacement members post...especially since her other half had already expressed interest.  So...I contacted her last night to try and understand what she was getting at.

I can't speak for her, but what I got from the conversation is she was questioning the basic "direction" of the NAGS committee rather than the actual process for additional members.  I'd have to say her post was poorly worded to express that, but after a detailed conversation, I eventually understood what she meant.  

She intimated that if one of the goals of the committee was to help spread Gripsport to women, then perhaps a more proactive process could have been chosen in regards to that.  She suggested that perhaps Amy Wattles could have been contacted to see if she would like to assume a leadership role for women in grip in North America.  Whether or not Amy would be willing (she's extremely busy), was really besides the point.  A women leading the charge is going to be much more effective than a man in introducing women into a extremely male dominated sport.

Additionally, the original post explaining the vacancies was written in the Contest SubForum, then nearly 3 weeks later...the post to fill the vacancies was posted in the Gripboard Forum (which can bury things relatively quickly), and the time for interest entries was limited to a single week (2/22-2-28).

While I'm subscribed to nearly all the subforums, I'm by far in the minority.  Depending on our personal lives, there are many people here who let a week, two, or more go by between GripBoard visits.  Considering there are only a handful of women in North America actively training Grip...it begs the question that if the rise in women numbers is a goal, then perhaps more effort should have been made to make sure these women knew about the opportunity available.

@MCrushetta, I'm hoping I got this right and haven't overstepped my bounds here relaying our convo.

I am a politician at the lowest level there is - I've been a councilman in the very small town I live in for 25 years.  Everyone in the community (everyone here knows everyone else) tells me how to do things and how wrong we all are every day so I'm a little sensitive to things like this.  But of course none of them step up come election time.  Just as information we are 4 men and 2 women members. 

Our congress didn't used to have any woman members - so women went and ran for congress - congress didn't go looking for them - they went looking for congress.  Same with all minorities - ethnic - religious etc.  I know Maria and love her (not like that pervert :)) but what she said (or the way she said it) did upset me.  All this having been said she's right that we could benefit from a woman on the board but .......................... said woman must step forward herself ........................... my experience is that if you have to ask someone to serve, they probably didn't have the interest necessary to really become involved.  Then again maybe I'm wrong :).

I briefly considering throwing my hat in the ring, but I really think that the members have always been really accessible and willing to listen to anyone's suggestion (or even complaint...to see if it has merit).

I thought you might put in, but I also know you have a lot of stuff going on, so when you didn't, I figured it was mainly because of all the other stuff you're dealing with.

I had assumed (to my surprise...incorrectly) that she had read and/or knew about the replacement members post...especially since her other half had already expressed interest.  So...I contacted her last night to try and understand what she was getting at.

I assumed the same

I can't speak for her, but what I got from the conversation is she was questioning the basic "direction" of the NAGS committee rather than the actual process for additional members.  I'd have to say her post was poorly worded to express that, but after a detailed conversation, I eventually understood what she meant.  

We are currently discussing the best ways to go forward right now, and it involves getting more people involved in the sport, women, juniors, men, etc.

She intimated that if one of the goals of the committee was to help spread Gripsport to women, then perhaps a more proactive process could have been chosen in regards to that.  She suggested that perhaps Amy Wattles could have been contacted to see if she would like to assume a leadership role for women in grip in North America.  

The decision by the group was to post here, figuring the people who are interested in Grip Sport would be here on the board.

Additionally, the original post explaining the vacancies was written in the Contest SubForum, then nearly 3 weeks later...the post to fill the vacancies was posted in the Gripboard Forum (which can bury things relatively quickly), and the time for interest entries was limited to a single week (2/22-2-28).

Not sure what to say to this.  Are you saying I took too long to come out with the next post?  Are you saying the post(s) got put in the wrong spot?  The period wasn't long enough?  The group discussed it, came up with an action plan, and went with it.

While I'm subscribed to nearly all the subforums, I'm by far in the minority.  Depending on our personal lives, there are many people here who let a week, two, or more go by between GripBoard visits.  Considering there are only a handful of women in North America actively training Grip...

Again, not sure what to say here, but that person doesn't sound like a good fit for the committee, to be honest.

it begs the question that if the rise in women numbers is a goal, then perhaps more effort should have been made to make sure these women knew about the opportunity available.

We want more women involved in Grip Sport.  I think we're going to come up with some pretty good directives to get more women involved.

A few things come to mind here.

If you took offence to the post by @MCrushetta then maybe you should reflect some on what the root issues are that caused you to feel that way.

It's also a gross over simplification of the issues at hand to simple state that no women showed up and that's that. Also to use the example "Our congress didn't used to have any woman members - so women went and ran for congress - congress didn't go looking for them - they went looking for congress.  Same with all minorities - ethnic - religious etc." is a far reaching example, and really this should be a new thread cause there's to way to talk about it this open community here without someone getting upset.

Back to the topic of the NAGS Committee. Three people applied out of how many? Need I say more?

As far as the future growth and inclusiveness of the sport goes, I have already laid out some step by step plans for the future to the group. I think I have good valid ideas, that are 100% viable, and I have personally proven that they work on a local level for growing the sport.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, climber511 said:

All this having been said she's right that we could benefit from a woman on the board but .......................... said woman must step forward herself ........................... my experience is that if you have to ask someone to serve, they probably didn't have the interest necessary to really become involved.  Then again maybe I'm wrong :).

I definitely agree with this to a point, but the assumption here is that the message that an opening was effectively broadcast.

32 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

I thought you might put in, but I also know you have a lot of stuff going on, so when you didn't, I figured it was mainly because of all the other stuff you're dealing with.

That definitely factored in.  I also think I may be overexposed in Grip with all of my involvement.  That's got to grate on some nerves.

We are currently discussing the best ways to go forward right now, and it involves getting more people involved in the sport, women, juniors, men, etc.

Great!

The decision by the group was to post here, figuring the people who are interested in Grip Sport would be here on the board.

Reasonable.

Not sure what to say to this.  Are you saying I took too long to come out with the next post?  Are you saying the post(s) got put in the wrong spot?  The period wasn't long enough?  The group discussed it, came up with an action plan, and went with it.

It wasn't an attack here, just giving you an idea how it could have been easily missed.

Again, not sure what to say here, but that person doesn't sound like a good fit for the committee, to be honest.

Yes and no.  I get what you are saying, but "life can get in the way of grip."  Even a moderator might need to disengage for a bit due to a new child or new job.  An opportunity like this seldom arises and isn't scheduled in any way.  I'm not suggesting that the committee turns over every four years or so, but it's impossible to predict when a vacancy will come up.

We want more women involved in Grip Sport.  I think we're going to come up with some pretty good directives to get more women involved.

I believe that women will be interested in a sport that they can train, compete and excel in...and not require lifting huge numbers.  I hope so anyway...because I think women's inclusion in Gripsport will definitely help broadcast the sport itself.  I'm really glad there is a plan in place to move that forward.

Edit:  @Jedd Johnson For example of how something might be missed.  I found out today that a regular involved poster that maintains a log here, had no idea I was hosting a contest in South Jersey this July.  Hard to believe...but just happened.

Unfortunately, we can't go back now.  The decisions that were made were made by a group of people, thinking we had our bases covered, with the intention of an open invite to all members to apply during the decided upon period.  Again, it is our intention to get more people of all sexes, ages, experience levels, etc, involved in Grip Sport. 

• Like 1

Here's my thoughts on the situation: We wouldn't think about turning a woman or minority away from the committee, and I believe that we all want them represented here. Where the proverbial rubber is not meeting the road for NAGS with growth lies with outreach. If we have growing the number of women as a goal, we have to reach out and bring them in. If we want more people to show up at Nationals, we need to let people know that they are qualified and push our promotion. 

We can't expect everyone that cares about or could potentially care about gripsport to come regularly sift through this forum to catch announcements. And while we are still in the "sausage fest" stage of the sport, women will not be inclined to join the discussion. You don't get numbers by opening doors and not saying anything.

I take partial responsibility for not notifying Maria about the nominations, life has been quite hectic lately and I forgot, but it really was not hard to miss. I only got lucky on seeing it when it was posted.

Are we a bunch of sexists, probably not, but we if we want to bring people in, we will have to go get them. 

Sorry to ramble, but I wanted to address a large contributing factor to our "niche" status.

I think one of the active women in the sport should be contacted and asked/voted upon to join the committee and add some legitimacy to our efforts to expand our demographics.

• Like 2

Off Topic but if i dont put it out there Ill forget. 

I was wondering if maybe we can put out a publication. Nothing fancy a simple newsletter or something we could mail to willing members with contest notices, board elections, and other news.  Maybe that can help spread the word a bit better. 

Actual paper newsletter. 

Edited by KapMan
  • Like 2