Cross-Canada Grip Sport Challenge – September 9th, 2017

Eric Roussin

Jason Steeves and I are teaming up to put on the first-ever multi-venue Canadian grip sport contest!

Date: September 9th, 2017

Locations: Ottawa, Ontario and Edmonton, Alberta (to be confirmed)

Weight Classes: 83 kg / 105 kg / 105+ kg / Women’s Open

Events:

Gold Bar (World of Grip)
2.5” Crusher (FBBC)
Hub (IronMind)
Silver Bullet (IronMind)

4 Attempts, Rising Bar Format (Silver Bullet will be single successful attempt of 2 seconds or more)

Reverse Strongman Scoring

Awards for the top three finishers in each class

Open to All!

Further details to come…

• Like 9

Oh baby... a Canadian contest with 83kg class   :)

• Like 1

Pretty cool. Love what you guys are doing for Canadian grip. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Will the Silver Bullet be official for IronMind?  @Eric Roussin

Because the event is being run in two venues, we will be using grippers with near identical ratings rather than fresh out of the package grippers (whose ratings can vary). This is what we feel is most important for the event to be fair for all competitors. However, one competitor may want to try his hand at the CoC #4 record (outside of the contest). If this is the case, we'll take steps to assure the attempt would be official.

I like everything but the date, comps during football season don't work for me, maybe i'll get fired before then.

1 hour ago, Eric Roussin said:

Because the event is being run in two venues, we will be using grippers with near identical ratings rather than fresh out of the package grippers (whose ratings can vary). This is what we feel is most important for the event to be fair for all competitors. However, one competitor may want to try his hand at the CoC #4 record (outside of the contest). If this is the case, we'll take steps to assure the attempt would be official.

I'd entertain coming to Ottawa for an official attempt at the #4 record.  If this ends up happening, please let me know.

• Like 2

Jason and I have decided to open up this contest to everyone. If you aren't Canadian but are willing to make the trip to Ontario or Alberta, we'd love to have you.

FYI - The Ottawa contest will also have a separate 50-item medley following the regular contest. Same weight classes, but separate entry fee and trophies for the top three performances in every class! You can compete in just the cross-Canada comp, just the medley, or both!

Medley details will be shared in the coming months.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

The Cross-Canada Grip Sport Challenge is expanding to a third venue! Rob McMurren will host the contest in Waterloo, Ontario!

• Like 3

You have got to be kidding me! Waterloo is only a 6 hour drive!

*starts planning to invade Canada

• Like 5

Edited by Shoggoth
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Just a reminder that this contest is just three months away. We already estimate that there will be upwards of 40 Canadian competitors. If any Americans have been wanting to come up for a grip contest, this will be a great opportunity. Three venues from which to choose -- one out west, one near the Midwest, and one near the north east.

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Due to popular demand we'll include the double overhand deadlift as an extra event at the Edmonton location. 

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

As promised, please find below the items that will be included in the 50-Item Monster Grip Medley (Ottawa venue only)

To be conducted immediately following the Cross-Canada contest

$10 entry fee - Trophies for the top three competitors in each class (83 kg, 105 kg, 105+ kg, women’s open)

5 minutes to accomplish as many of the following feats as possible:

Blob Trainer (20 lbs)
45-lb Blob
Scale Weights (2x50 lbs)
Double Barreled Bastard Blaster (60 lbs)
Wrist Developer (Level 1)
8-lb Bomb (100 lbs)
Stirrup (105 lbs)
Tips Tester (two hands - 200 lbs)
Bull Ring Extensor Lift (4”) (12.5 lbs)
Palm Pinch (45 lbs)
Sledge Lever to the Back (10 lbs)
Slim Lever (12 lbs)
Slim Lever (6 lbs)
Heavy Hammer II Pronation (15 lbs)
Wrist Reinforcer Supination (10 lbs)
Stacker (35 lbs)
4” Crusher (with or without thumb - 55 lbs)
Wrist Wrench (70 lbs)
124-lb Anvil Pinch (two hands)
50-lb Standard Plate Pinch
49-lb Anvil Pinch (using thumb, index, and middle fingers)
Flask (one hand - 50 lbs)
Blockbuster Pinch Block (60 lbs)
132-lb Clevis by the pin (3.3” diameter)
Rolling Thunder (135 lbs)
3” Crusher (75 lbs)
Inch (172 lbs)
35-lb Plate by the Hub
GlobTop (20 lbs)
MoonTop (15 lbs)
25-lb Plate by the Hub (shallow)
45-lb Plate by the Hub
32.5 Blob by the Face
Bull Ring Hub lift (5”) (30 lbs)
172-lb Anvil by the Horn
Little Big Horn (120 lbs)
Sorinex Anvil Trainer (75 lbs)
2” Rope (170 lbs)
Jug (160 lbs)
2” v-bar (200 lbs)
100-lb Plate Key Pinch
Stub (30 lbs)
Half a Penny (15 lbs)
CoC Trainer
CoC #1
CoC #2
CoC #2.5
CoC #3
IM TUG #5 with Ring/Pinky
Sledge Finger Walk (4-lb short sledge with 10 lbs added)

Ties will be broken by bodyweight (lighter competitor wins)

• Like 3

The Waterloo venue will happen on Friday September 8 at 7.  (i am coaching football in Toronto on Saturday)  There will  be a  12-15 item medley.   

• Like 2

3 hours ago, terryt3o3 said:

I wish I was still in waterloo in september. :(

If you're around PM me  we train most weekends

• 1 month later...

It's looking like most of the top Canadian grip sport athletes will be taking part in this contest! Also, making his grip sport debut will be Mike Murray, who recently obtained his CoC #3 certification. And I've also heard that a 6'7", 350+ pound armwrestler will be entering his first grip contest.

We've decided to add a masters division for competitors aged 50 or more. Plaques for the top three finishers.

A few kids will also be taking part, as they try to get on the World of Grip and Barrel Strength record lists.

I'll have an official MAS wrestling set-up at the Ottawa venue for anyone who wants to try it out after the contest. 

If you're interested in competing, please contact me via PM on the GripBoard or through Facebook.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Close to 10 first-timers are expected to take part in this contest on Saturday. It's going to be great!

On 21/08/2017 at 6:10 PM, Eric Roussin said:

It's looking like most of the top Canadian grip sport athletes will be taking part in this contest! Also, making his grip sport debut will be Mike Murray, who recently obtained his CoC #3 certification. And I've also heard that a 6'7", 350+ pound armwrestler will be entering his first grip contest.

We've decided to add a masters division for competitors aged 50 or more. Plaques for the top three finishers.

A few kids will also be taking part, as they try to get on the World of Grip and Barrel Strength record lists.

I'll have an official MAS wrestling set-up at the Ottawa venue for anyone who wants to try it out after the contest. 

If you're interested in competing, please contact me via PM on the GripBoard or through Facebook.

Might have to borrow a table....

• Like 1

We had some really strong guys at our venue last night! I'm excited to see the final results from across the country!

• Like 4

Good day in Edmonton. Only 4-5 guys for the event due to circumstances like life events, work, etc. cropping up for many people this week. I think everyone was pretty undertrained and just looking to establish a baseline for King Kong. Heat and humidity were atrocious. Yes, I'm pissing and moaning haha!

• Like 2