Postponed: australian grip champs

Hello Everybody,

I am REALLY sorry for this but I have had to postpone the Australian Grip Champs until later on in 2002. Something occurred in the past week that has forced this situation and for those who were ready to come I should tell you about it as you should have a legitimate reason for cancellation.

The reason is that I have to work on that particular weekend in Sydney ( a 5 hour trip from Perth). I cannot get out of this job. The film company won't allow me to break contract for a lifting competition so I have no choice but to postpone it. Frank lamp has been informed of this and we will set a new date soon. I am hoping it will coincide with one of All Round Weightlifting Australia's other regular competitions so I can do two competitions in one week.

The lifts will stay the same so keep training them. Many apologies for this. Please contact me if you have any questions about this inconvenience.

Oh and just quickly, regarding Vince Basile and his machine. Vince I'll come and have a go on the machine next year when I will be in Sydney. I'll also bring a pinch block and a rod for 2x20kg plates so we can test that too. I might even bring the Elite gripper I wish to close and get you to witness this with Arthur as well. The machine you have seems ok but perhaps a bit fancy for the average grip maniac - most of us like getting our hands dirty not washing them to lift :) .

Nick

Guest 115-1005574997

Hia Nick

Though I'm sure quite a few people will be disapointed about the postponement, i hope eveyone will understand that grip lifting and competition is a hobby and there are more important things in life.  Your job, family, sanity etc should come first and if lifting has a higher prioity than that in a persons life then something is seriously wrong!

Keep up the good work mate and thanks for letting us all know :)

Can you tell us what the film is your working on or is it a secret?  ;)

Guest StrongerthanArne

Nick (or Arthur),

How many guys from Perth were going to compete? Between 1994-1996 I used to work out at a big gym (can't remember the name of it) in South Perth (by the river) and I have a vague memory of seeing a young guy doing rafter chin ups at the gym. At the time I did not understand how difficult this is. Anyway I wish everyone good luck at the comp. whenever it is going to take place. I will join you all in 2003 or 2004 (moving to Perth from Sweden probably in August 2003). I hope by then Perth has several certified CoC's. We can't let Nick be the only one.

Guest 86-1005097353

No worries, Nick. When you mention that Perth is 5 hours away you mean by jet. Australia is a huge continent. Does later in the year mean February?

By all means bring all your goodies so we can see what is involved. I went to a shop that carries bodybuilding supplies and bought 3 recent copies of "Milo" magazine. I saw a few of the Ironmind products such as the hub apparatus and the Rolling Thunder grip. I had a look at Ironmind's offerings on the net and I see they offer a pinch block for sale. Surely they could make stainless blocks if a demand were there.

Seems the washing of the hands is something new in pinching. Well, you will do the same thing when you have a go. I work in an engineering factory and I hate getting my hands dirty! So washing is something I do a lot of. :) I don't like substances on my hands. I can assure you that my way of pinching is much cleaner than using that chalk.

Oh, if others are reading, I did measure my grip plate last night with vernier calipers and it is 52 mm thick. Two inches are 50.8 mm.

I bought a CoC #1 as it was missing from my set. I had no trouble closing it with either hand. The #2 is  not quite there. How some of you close a #3 is amazing. When I saw how thick the spring was in a #4  I gave it a miss. There was no point in buying something as a museum piece!