The strength challenge: Grip Contest in Portland, Oregon on March 25th

Jared Goguen

This is a little last minute compared to the advanced notice normally given for grip events, however when I was approached to co-promote a public comp. like this in my area and expose the world of grip to new people I jumped on it.

This is not a NAGS sanctioned event.

Where: Ironside gym 1304 SE MLK blvd portland oregon
When: March 25th at 9am
Weight classes: Lightweight men's (below 210), heavyweight men's (over 210), and women's open.
Weight ins: 9am-10am

There will be multiple events going on this day, the promoter wants to charge $20 per competitor, once the competitor pays the $20 he or she can enter any or all the events they wish and be up for multiple awards, as each event will will have it's own awards, which is why we will be staggering the events throughout the day in order to allow competitors to enter whatever they want. The grip event is considered one big event so the awards will be based on overall performance of all the grip events combined.

Events

Mammoth Grip Tools 2.5" Trilobite Rolling Handle: The lift will be to a 7.5" crossbar. Unlimited attempts put up your best numbers.

Flask 2HP: The lift will be to a 7.5" crossbar. Unlimited attempts put up your best numbers.

Medley: Weight are not exact on the blocks but close. I think this list is good it ranges for the easy to world class, all items will be lifted to a 18" platform, these are all one handed lifts, and the time will be 2 minutes to get a many as you can.

People do not have to lift these items in any order.
1. 55lb Anvil Wide Pinch
2. 17lb River Rock
3. 20lb Hex Block
4. 25lb Blob
5. 30lb Blob
6. 40lb Blob
7. 50lb Blob
8. 35lb Plate Hub
9. 45lb Plate Hub
10. Inch Jr. (100lbs)
11. Baby Inch (137lbs)
12. Plate loaded Inch (172lbs)
13. Four 10lb Plate Pinch
14. Two 35lb Plate Pinch
15. Two 45lb Plate Pinch

• Like 6

Looks like a solid event. Iam starting a new gripper program next Sunday that entails mucho volume so I wont be able to attend. Have a great event!!

• Like 1

What a great event for grip exposure!  

The "unlimited attempts" is a great idea for keeping things super positive.

I can really see this sucking people into our cult bringing more into the grip world. ;) 

• Like 7

1 hour ago, Kluv#0 said:

Looks like a solid event. Iam starting a new gripper program next Sunday that entails mucho volume so I wont be able to attend. Have a great event!!

You can still come and watch! It will be fun for everyone! There will also be powerlifting and strongman events going on.

50 minutes ago, anwnate said:

What a great event for grip exposure!  

The "unlimited attempts" is a great idea for keeping things super positive.

I can really see this sucking people into our cult bringing more into the grip world. ;) 

Agreed. My main goal here is to find more people and keep my local community building going.

• Like 2

What is the deadline to enter? My wife might want to enter. Also, I would bring some grippers to show new people how to position and "set" in hand. Most people have heard of grippers but not the heavy duty type.

1 hour ago, Kluv#0 said:

What is the deadline to enter? My wife might want to enter. Also, I would bring some grippers to show new people how to position and "set" in hand. Most people have heard of grippers but not the heavy duty type.

The deadline to enter is the morning of the event!

Awesome! Ill also have grippers there at the Mammoth Grip Tools table for people to try out!

• Like 1

We are starting our baseball season with my son which keeps us crazy busy but I just ordered the rolling handle and can't wait to try it out. Hope to make it out at some point later this summer if you have anything going on. Great idea for the contest though with single events.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, austinslater said:

We are starting our baseball season with my son which keeps us crazy busy but I just ordered the rolling handle and can't wait to try it out. Hope to make it out at some point later this summer if you have anything going on. Great idea for the contest though with single events.

Oh there will be something going on. Something big I promise!

• 2 weeks later...

Sadly I have to report that this comp. just cancelled. I'm super bummed..... It was 100% out of my hands.

3 hours ago, Jared Goguen said:

Sadly I have to report that this comp. just cancelled. I'm super bummed..... It was 100% out of my hands.

Well that blows

14 minutes ago, KapMan said:

Well that blows

Yeah I had everything put together and the gym it was to be held at said no, he had a good reason but it still cancels the event.

38 minutes ago, Jared Goguen said:

Yeah I had everything put together and the gym it was to be held at said no, he had a good reason but it still cancels the event.

Can you do it at your place. I have noticed you have a great set up from your videos. 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Chez said:

Can you do it at your place. I have noticed you have a great set up from your videos. 

I'm down to still hit your gym, if you don't have other stuff going on!

• Like 1

I know you can turn these lemons man...

necessity.JPG

12 hours ago, Chez said:

11 hours ago, pburke23 said:

I'm down to still hit your gym, if you don't have other stuff going on!

I think for the time being im just going to put this off and plan something further out. The main goal of this event was to have grip be show cased to new people.

• Like 1