Defense against a toproll

Jeff Parker

I've been getting in some good table time but mostly with guys who lift weights and aren't experienced with armwrestling.I have found out that I am way better using a toproll than a hook.  So what I am wondering is if I enter a contest and try to toproll someone, what would they be trying to do to stop me?  Would they be more likely to try to hook me as a counter or do something else?

Also, I've never armwrestled in the strap before, I do plan to get one soon, but in the meantime, if my strongest move without straps is a top roll, would that still be my strongest move in the straps? 

Thanks

In answer to your first question, it depends on a few factors. Here are a few examples:

If you face someone who is also a good top roller, you may both go for the top roll and the stronger/faster guy will win.

If you face someone who doesn't have a strong top roll but does have a good hook, he will likely try to quickly force you inside using wrist flexion. If he's confident you'll try to top roll, if may grip you a bit low (i.e. with his hand around your wrist). If he does this, you may want to try to set up with a low-hand top roll (hard to describe in text - best to look up videos).

If you face an amateur who hasn't done much pulling, he may not have much of an idea of what's going on, so you might not have to worry too much. Just try to execute your move.

In response to your second question, yes, the top roll will still be your strongest move in the straps.

Thank you Eric.  I will watch some videos on the low hand toproll.

Ive really enjoyed the armwrestling training I've been doing and am really looking forward to entering a contest. 

• Like 1

When in doubt... top roll and stay alive. Unless you are really confident in your ability to hook, top roll. If you know you will be pulling in a lot of matches, save your calories and top roll. IMO, It is easier to go from a top toll to a hook/defensive hook than from a hook to a top roll. 

The strap is just as much mental as anything. When the ref asks if you want the strap high or low, ask for low. This will more or less take your wrist out of the equation. You can really activate the back pressure with less strength needed to keep your wrist straight. This is my experience anyway. I love the strap. 

Looks like the Belding Michigan event is cancelled, don't know why.  Michigan Arms website knows it's cancelled but the WAL sure does not.  I even emailed them to ask and hey said they haven't heard of anything.  I'll have to wait a little longer to see how I do in a contest.  Heard that there will be a contest very close to me most likely June 3rd so I'll start prepping for that

The Northeast Board is down for some reason but it used to be the place to find out about tournaments. You may check in to the PAL. They hold Novice and pro tournaments. 

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎02‎.‎03‎.‎2017 at 9:45 PM, Jeff Parker said:

I've been getting in some good table time but mostly with guys who lift weights and aren't experienced with armwrestling.I have found out that I am way better using a toproll than a hook.  So what I am wondering is if I enter a contest and try to toproll someone, what would they be trying to do to stop me?  Would they be more likely to try to hook me as a counter or do something else?

Also, I've never armwrestled in the strap before, I do plan to get one soon, but in the meantime, if my strongest move without straps is a top roll, would that still be my strongest move in the straps? 

Thanks

To counter a toproll besides wrist flexion a move forward with the elbow and a bit supination helps to catch your toproll in a hook. But you also have to consider that your opponent probably won't to try to counter your move but tries to use his "main weapon" first against you.

1 hour ago, Florian Kellersmann said:

To counter a toproll besides wrist flexion a move forward with the elbow and a bit supination helps to catch your toproll in a hook. But you also have to consider that your opponent probably won't to try to counter your move but tries to use his "main weapon" first against you.

Thanks!

Instead of starting a new topic, I have another top roll question.  Where on the elbow pad is best to setup for a toproll?Since I've never been to a contest before I also don't know if you have any choice in this matter or if you have to start with your forearm in the middle of the pad.  Not sure if arm length matters for where you set up but if it does, I do have a rather long arm.  Thanks 

There is a Video you'll find via Google I think from Devon Larratt, how to set up a toproll. I would follow his advice.

12 hours ago, Jeff Parker said:

Instead of starting a new topic, I have another top roll question.  Where on the elbow pad is best to setup for a toproll?Since I've never been to a contest before I also don't know if you have any choice in this matter or if you have to start with your forearm in the middle of the pad.  Not sure if arm length matters for where you set up but if it does, I do have a rather long arm.  Thanks