CRS to HRS

Fisher 47

Has anyone ever tried heating up crs red hot to make it more like hrs? My thinking is that I hear crs varies less than hrs since hrs is made with a "melting pot" of different steels, if I start with crs and turn it into hrs it would be more consistent.

Yeah, I'm not a metalurgist but I'm pretty sure you can't turn CRS into HRS. 

HRS is simply heated and rolled to whatever thickness and cooled. Even though HRS is a final product it can also be further processed. To CRS

What makes CRS different is its annealed.

I do not believe you can turn CRS into HRS

It doesn't work like that at all. Crs is made by a process called crystallization, that's what separates the hrs and crs. If I remember correctly that's a flash freeze process, but I'm not entirely sure, I'm sleep deprived. Heating it will not de-crystallize it. I believe heating it red hot will make it stronger. 

• Like 1

This is so up my alley!

In a nutshell the answer is no, well for the most part. A normal person without a crazy shop, can't do it.

Hot rolling is a mill process which involves rolling the steel at a high temperature, which is above the steel’s recrystallization temperature. When steel is above the recrystallization temperature, it can be shaped and formed easily, and the steel can be made in much larger sizes. Hot rolled steel is typically cheaper than cold rolled steel due to the fact that it is often manufactured without any delays in the process, and therefore the reheating of the steel is not required (as it is with cold rolled). When the steel cools off it will shrink slightly thus giving less control on the size and shape of the finished product when compared to cold rolled.

Cold rolled steel is essentially hot rolled steel that has had further processing. The steel is processed further in cold reduction mills, where the material is cooled (at room temperature) followed by annealing and/or tempers rolling. This process will produce steel with closer dimensional tolerances and a wider range of surface finishes. The term Cold Rolled is mistakenly used on all products, when actually the product name refers to the rolling of flat rolled sheet and coil products.

I done a lot of playing around with metal, knife making, hardness testing, forging, annealing, and tempering. Pretty much if you can't make steel 1800 degrees you can't really reform it. It's fun to get into cryo treating, pickling and things like that but if you want to try turn CRS in HRS for bend your kinda SOL, just go buy what you need.

For all you steel nerds still reading this you should watch these.

• Like 10

Ok thanks, and the videos were cool. I thought of this because my little sister couldn't bend crs. I heated it with an oxyacetylene welding flame cleaned the mill scale off and she could bend the same piece. I will just stick to buying the kind of steel I need though. I love how nobody freaks out and insults you for asking questions here, they just answer them, that's always great.

• Like 3

To add to the answers already here, if you heat something like 1018 CRS above critical and slow cool it, you've basically created the equivalent of a grade 2 bolt.  This is why most grade 2's feel slightly easier to bend than the same size CRS stock, because grade 2's are made by normalizing CRS.

• 3 weeks later...

Great info Jared!  

Funny how HRS can at times be tough as CRS!?  Steel varies from batch to batch but sometimes they're not that far apart!  

60d nails are notorious for varying a ton!  How does the galvanizing process work? 

12 hours ago, robertmiller67 said:

How does the galvanizing process work? 

It's a truly nasty process that often is done in places like China that have no laws about pollution and very little safety standards. 

Also for any of the welders out there if you don't vent your work with a down draft table, or have an air filtering helmet/mask you get galvanize poisoning or metal fume fever from welding on galvanized steel, it's a condition that results from the over exposure to zinc oxide.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jared Goguen said:

It's a truly nasty process that often is done in places that have no laws about pollution and very little safety standards. 

Ha, I think there is a galvanizing facility down the street.

Welding Galvanized steel = white death fuzz

Edited by JHenze646
  • Like 2

Interesting stuff Jared... thanks for posting!   

Does galvanizing effect the strength of the steel at all?

4 hours ago, robertmiller67 said:

Interesting stuff Jared... thanks for posting!   

Does galvanizing effect the strength of the steel at all?

Yeah man.

I don't believe it does, the hot-dip isn't hot enough to change the steel. Also the coating is so thin its adds next to nothing to the thickness.