Jedd Johnson

Is the lift good?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Good Lift or Not?

• Good Lift
    • No Lift

1. Must lift to full deadlift position.
2. Only chalk allowed.
3. The lift must be followed down under reasonable control. 

• Like 3

I'm sorry - but I couldn't pass this one.

- Not stationary at the top (the Blob is in motion the entire time).  It's supposed to be a deadlift - not a contest to achieve a requisite height.

- Not set down (dropped from a few inches)

I'll accept being out voted on this . . . .just wanted to put my reasons out there.

Both my objections would be easy to overcome - and yes I fully understand how difficult this feat is . . . . I'm simply (strictly) judging it as I would a standard Blob deadlift.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, gripmaniac said:

I'm sorry - but I couldn't pass this one.

- Not stationary at the top (the Blob is in motion the entire time).  It's supposed to be a deadlift - not a contest to achieve a requisite height.

- Not set down (dropped from a few inches)

I'll accept being out voted on this . . . .just wanted to put my reasons out there.

Both my objections would be easy to overcome - and yes I fully understand how difficult this feat is . . . . I'm simply (strictly) judging it as I would a standard Blob deadlift.

No problem at all. Thanks for your honest comments.

Will try again next time based on your description.

Edited by Morgan

There should be 2 separate judgings for each hand. The right hand is convincing but the left is sketchy. I can't cast an accurate vote because of this.

• Like 2

In my view a high pull is harder than a deadlift. So definitely a pass from me.

If someone were to CCS a MM3 cert would you disallow that too, because it's not a mms set?

• Like 2

I would say that both lifts follow the first two rules and the only question would be whether they follow the 3rd. There is no mention of pausing at lockout for the lift. The position of Morgan's hand when he drops it a couple inches off the ground indicates to me that he was trying to avoid the rebound and not that he was out of control. This is clearly within the spirit of the lift and is exactly why we vote on it. 

It's the same thing as TNS meaning "table no-set" which is functionally identical to any other no-set close except people get nitpicky about whether it was literally picked up off a table. 

If you honestly don't think this video demonstrates that Morgan can lift a blob by the face, then vote no. I think any reasonable person would accept this as evidence that he can do it no problem.

• Like 8

Guys, take note.  That blob is not popping out of his grip.  He is releasing it a few inches from the ground.  You can hurt yourself bad if a block weight rebounds off the floor on a set down.  I'll talk with the moderators about refining this rule, but these lifts are both manhandled, sliced, diced and pureed, and should pass with flying colors.

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Squeezus said:

I would say that both lifts follow the first two rules and the only question would be whether they follow the 3rd. There is no mention of pausing at lockout for the lift. The position of Morgan's hand when he drops it a couple inches off the ground indicates to me that he was trying to avoid the rebound and not that he was out of control. This is clearly within the spirit of the lift and is exactly why we vote on it. 

It's the same thing as TNS meaning "table no-set" which is functionally identical to any other no-set close except people get nitpicky about whether it was literally picked up off a table. 

If you honestly don't think this video demonstrates that Morgan can lift a blob by the face, then vote no. I think any reasonable person would accept this as evidence that he can do it no problem.

This.

2 hours ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Guys, take note.  That blob is not popping out of his grip.  He is releasing it a few inches from the ground.  You can hurt yourself bad if a block weight rebounds off the floor on a set down.  I'll talk with the moderators about refining this rule, but these lifts are both manhandled, sliced, diced and pureed, and should pass with flying colors.

And this.

Things like this have come up before.  As Gil mentioned, I firmly believe we need to follow the spirit of the law as opposed to the letter of the law.  While we all want to take this judging process seriously, it's important to consider why the rules have been enacted in the first place.  We have "full deadlift position" to establish a certain height in relationship to each individual's body...much like each batter's strike zone.  I believe...we have the "followed down under reasonable control" to make sure that a lift is of a certain quality..and not something that is completely determined by inertia (using the uniform motion definition), and without control.

Gripmaniac.  I appreciate you speaking your mind here.  It's difficult to stand up and speak ones mind in the face of likely criticism.

This discussion is not a bad thing...and may lead to marginally adjusting wording of the rules or the addition of another rule.  That said, we want to keep the rules to a minimum and relatively short.  With the number of stats we maintain on this board, we will not be able to account for every contingency that might crop up.  This is why our own internal judgement must come into play, as opposed to a strict adherence to the letter of the law.

My apologies if I beat the crap out of a dead horse.

• Like 2

That more than met my standards of an accomplished feat, outstanding work Morgan!

IPF standards should not be applied to the odd shaped objects we lift. Injuries can result from fingers being smashed (as Jedd stated) or from levering large objects like globe dumbbells like the Inch away from the body as a smaller (comparatively) person in order to achieve "lockout".

Grip should be seen as a distinctly unique sport-not an inferior offshoot with unnecessary hybrid/copycat features. In my opinion, if any change could be made, it would be to lift an object to a standard height (like a Euro lift).

• Like 2

That Blob just got spanked and had to call Morgan "daddy".

Dominated

• Like 2

Jedd,

Your point about not wanting to jar your hand when setting down the Blob has merit (and were I strong enough, I’d really, really hate to do it while lifting one by the face!), but frankly allowing lifters to get away with dropping it (in my opinion) detracts from the idea of someone having mastered the feat and demonstrated maintaining an acceptable level of control.

To my way of thinking: If you’re strong enough to deadlift it then you shouldn’t have any qualms about being expected to complete the lift by safely setting it down under control.  If that means a little practice to master this particular facet beyond all doubt of “under control” then so be it.  It is after all a world class feat and not without a moderate degree of injury risk.

I’ve been out voted on this and I’ve accepted others reasoning (without necessarily agreeing). Other than being mildly envious I have nothing against Morgan. For such a world class feat, the clip was certainly worthy of consideration.

I won’t flog this dead horse anymore – but perhaps some refinement of the rules/expectations regarding this particularly challenging feat is warranted.

Dave 

I feel I should also mention that this Fatman had quite literally ZERO chalk on the face lifting portion of the blob. Morgan and I pounded chalk into the blob before his attempt. So impressive!