Small hands

aklifta907

I have relatively small hands for being a bigger guy at 6'2" and 250 lbs. they seem to be pretty strong but just not very long or thick fingered at all. Im not letting it stop me from arm wrestling or grip sports although its definetely a handicap especially on anything thick handled. Should I adopt a certain arm wrestling style to help me with having a smaller hand?

Check out Tim Bresnan . He has relatively small hands and is pretty much an animal. He pulls both top roll, hook, and straight through the middle.  Bigger hands can have an advantage physiologically but it's not everything. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

A strong wrist is the key, Rustam Babayev, Johan Lindholm, Neil Pickup, have very small Hands and are extremely strong. I also have small Hands for my size and I feel that the strap helps. Maybe you should go for the strap if you feel your fingers are too short to get Control of your opponents Hand.

• Like 1

As Florian points out above, if you feel like you have small hands to the point of it being a disadvantage; then turn your wrist in to pure steel and your small hand will start feeling like a VERY annoying rock (or pebble??? :D ) in the hands of your opponents...

kind regads /peter

• 3 weeks later...
On 22 March 2017 at 9:04 PM, Florian Kellersmann said:

A strong wrist is the key, Rustam Babayev, Johan Lindholm, Neil Pickup, have very small Hands and are extremely strong. I also have small Hands for my size and I feel that the strap helps. Maybe you should go for the strap if you feel your fingers are too short to get Control of your opponents Hand.

I totally agree with Flo

• 1 month later...

I always felt like my small hand made it easier to slip out and go to the strap. Just about every match went to the strap which I felt like made it more even. My hands are only 7 3/8" Top roll is all I ever learned. Everyone expected a hook from me because I had fairly big arms.

I also have a smaller hand as a SHW. I heard Tim Bresnan talk about thickening your hand to make it harder to hold on too. I think that thickening the thumb pad can do this very effectively with pinching exercises. Grippers help thicken the abductor and flexor digiti minimi. As well as just overall grip training helping to thicken the hand. Also just really learning how to pull with what God gave you helps alot. Being able to hook someone with great supination/ cupping power who has a big powerful hand that you cant top roll makes the size of your hand less of a factor and visa versa. My two cents. Hope its helpful!

• 1 month later...
On 6/13/2017 at 3:46 PM, DLO285 said:

I also have a smaller hand as a SHW. I heard Tim Bresnan talk about thickening your hand to make it harder to hold on too. I think that thickening the thumb pad can do this very effectively with pinching exercises. Grippers help thicken the abductor and flexor digiti minimi. As well as just overall grip training helping to thicken the hand. Also just really learning how to pull with what God gave you helps alot. Being able to hook someone with great supination/ cupping power who has a big powerful hand that you cant top roll makes the size of your hand less of a factor and visa versa. My two cents. Hope its helpful!

I agree with David. I have a small hand, but very strong fingers. I've been able to counter top rolls with a strong post. I will try to catch a hit with my cupping, and then climb high until I work their hand down to my wrist. I've found a lower grip to also help put a stop to top rollers. If their fingers are too long for me to take, I also load into their fingers, and apply side pressure to the pad.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, justiceislost1988 said:

I agree with David. I have a small hand, but very strong fingers. I've been able to counter top rolls with a strong post. I will try to catch a hit with my cupping, and then climb high until I work their hand down to my wrist. I've found a lower grip to also help put a stop to top rollers. If their fingers are too long for me to take, I also load into their fingers, and apply side pressure to the pad.

Do you ever have an issue getting out to someones finger tips and really attacking them when they have a bigger hand? If so how do you try to attack that area?