Blobfather weight

Jedd Johnson

14 hours ago, LAINE SNOOK said:

Hello Jedd,

How much does that thing weigh? - and how much does the heaviest legacy dumbbell weigh?

Laine

I haven't weighed this yet, Laine.  I need to. 

The heaviest York Legacy dumbbell here in the US, as far as the info I have received, is the 150.

Jedd, @LAINE SNOOK  I'm pretty surprised at how light it came out.  My Blobzilla (half 130) is 64.7.

I checked and rechecked...and weighed other stuff and then rechecked.

It's noticeably bigger than my Blobzilla...so I think it's weird.

@Jedd Johnson Please chime in when you weigh your end.  Thanks.

blobfather weight.jpg

• Like 3

Will do buddy.  It keeps slipping my mind.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Will do buddy.  It keeps slipping my mind.

Much better than it slipping out of your hand. ;)

I'm gonna be peeved if your side is like 72lbs.  lol

Is the handle diameter thicker on the 140?  There could have been a disproportional amount of weight in the handle if it was thicker to accommodate the larger bell ends.

On 2/19/2017 at 11:37 PM, Jedd Johnson said:

I haven't weighed this yet, Laine.  I need to. 

The heaviest York Legacy dumbbell here in the US, as far as the info I have received, is the 150.

Hi Jedd,

I can't get anything bigger than a 50kg (110lb) legacy dumbbell here - and York UK don't deal with the USA so they can't ship one over.  Can you find out how much a single 150lb legacy dumbbell would be, and I will see if I can get it shipped.

Laine

42 minutes ago, LAINE SNOOK said:

Hi Jedd,

I can't get anything bigger than a 50kg (110lb) legacy dumbbell here - and York UK don't deal with the USA so they can't ship one over.  Can you find out how much a single 150lb legacy dumbbell would be, and I will see if I can get it shipped.

Laine

Sure, my man if you can message me your address, I'll work on it.

• 9 months later...

Bumping: Hoping this will be useful to all, but @Jedd Johnson did you ever reweigh your 140 lb "Blobfather" half? Anwnate, hasn't been on in a while. It's just strange that a 140 half is only a little heavier than a 130 half. Has anyone else weighed a heavier Legacy dumbbell? I'm wondering if the larger Legacy casts are just inaccurate.

Edited by DAVE101

If I recall the blobfather is around 67-68 lbs but def not any more than that

On 12/1/2017 at 8:15 PM, DAVE101 said:

Bumping: Hoping this will be useful to all, but @Jedd Johnson did you ever reweigh your 140 lb "Blobfather" half? Anwnate, hasn't been on in a while. It's just strange that a 140 half is only a little heavier than a 130 half. Has anyone else weighed a heavier Legacy dumbbell? I'm wondering if the larger Legacy casts are just inaccurate.

Or the handle is thicker for the larger bell ends and therefore more weight is in the handle which gets cut off. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/1/2017 at 9:15 PM, DAVE101 said:

Blobfather - 66.6 lbs

• Like 1

140-(66.7+66.6) = 6.7 lb handle

For reference, my vintage york DB handle weighs 1.3 lbs. I think it's safe to say this DB was a little underweight.

Edited by DAVE101
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, DAVE101 said:

For reference, my vintage york DB handle weighs 1.3 lbs.  I'm gonna go ahead and assume this DB was just underweight.

Now that is a heavy handle! 
One of the handles of the recent 130 Legacy was 1.6 lbs so that is a 5 lb difference...
Do you still have it to measure it's dimensions?  
or did you just use math to figure that was the weight for your handle?

1 minute ago, DAVE101 said:

For reference, my vintage york DB handle weighs 1.3 lbs.  I'm gonna go ahead and assume this DB was just underweight.

Most York legacies are underweight based off of my experience. I bought a 100 and the blobs came out to around 47.1. My blobzilla is 63.4. It seems most legacies are as light compared to their their supposed weight as pre USA stamp bells are heavy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, richcottrell said:

Now that is a heavy handle! 
One of the handles of the recent 130 Legacy was 1.6 lbs so that is a 5 lb difference...
Do you still have it to measure it's dimensions?  
or did you just use math to figure that was the weight for your handle?

I still have one of the handles, though it lost about 1/4" on each side from the grinder. What measurements do you want?

Dave,
please put that handle on the scale and see if it is truly over 5 lbs,

If it is, then please measure how wide it is, as well as its length.  

Just as temmmeeee pointed out from his own experience, from recently helping to see to the cutting down of four of the 130 Legacy dumbbells and one of the 120lb Legacy Dumbbells, all were all lighter then the number printed on the bell.  Sadly we never thought to put them on the scale first.

Ah, whoops, I misunderstood if you were asking about the top line or bottom line when you quoted me. I don't have a Blobzilla/Blobfather handle.

The "6.7 lbs" was just doing the math to see how heavy the handle would have to be to make 140 lbs flat. My point was to counter @Cannon's argument that perhaps the handle's just heavier - as much heavier than 2 lbs is nearly impossible. The handle I have that I used for reference (from an oldschool York) I actually weighed at ~1.3 lbs - I just shared that for comparison sake. Legacy handles are a bit thicker though (33mm vs 28 mm) so would come in closer to ~2 lbs (but a bit shorter at 4.5" instead of ~4.9").

Edited by DAVE101
  • Like 1

Yes my half 130lbs legacy blobzilla came out to 61.1lbs after I cut the handle off - so yea I'm totally gonna lift it now - and the handle weighed 1.6lbs - I think @Andrew P got the other half to send up to Canada and it weighed the same?

If I could take 1 lb off Jedds blobzilla I would have lifted it already instead of just breaking it off the ground a bunch of times

• Like 3

13 hours ago, Anton.Torrella said:

Yes my half 130lbs legacy blobzilla came out to 61.1lbs after I cut the handle off - so yea I'm totally gonna lift it now - and the handle weighed 1.6lbs - I think @Andrew P got the other half to send up to Canada and it weighed the same?

61.7 was what I measured. 

• Like 1

My Blobzilla is 64.1lbs. I still feel like I have a long way to go on it, but I'll get there.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lucasraymond said:

If I could take 1 lb off Jedds blobzilla I would have lifted it already instead of just breaking it off the ground a bunch of times

I'll bring it with me the next time we attend a comp together if you want to try it

I just man up and lift Jedds!!!

• Like 1