Training log of my goal to close the CoC #2.

JD Murray

On 3/11/2017 at 1:42 AM, wobbler said:

I was reading through and about to say you should try some negatives. You don't want to jump up too far, but you seem close enough that it should work. Also holds for time with the heaviest gripper you can close.

Put a paperclip between the handles (handles touching) and when the clip drops, go full effort with no assistance from the other hand to close all the way.

Thank you for the tips. I'll definitely start implementing the paperclip. 

Sunday  12th March.

Took a break from training this weekend between family stuff and feeling a little out of sorts thought it best to start the new week rested and refreshed.

Monday 13th March.

TGU - 3 x 1

KB Swing - 3 x 10

#1 - 3 x 2

#1.5 - 2 x 1

# 2 - 3 x 1 Attempts. 2 x 1 Cheat Close Holds 3 Seconds.

Terrible training session. Everything felt really hard work. Still not feeling great. Had to drop down in weight for kettlebell work today. Hopefully back on track tomorrow.

Wednesday 15th March.

#1 - 3 x 1

#1.5 - 2 x 1

#2 - 5 x 1 Attempts. 4 x 1 Cheat Close Holds. 

KB Swings - 4 x 10

KB Military Press - 4 x 5

KB Wrist Curls  - 4 x 5

Felt a lot better today after feeling off the last few days and having to miss training yesterday because of a migraine.

Thursday 16th  March.

KB Swing - 5 x 10

KB Front Squat - 5 x 5

HS Pushup - 5 x 5

Felt really good today. Looking forward to hitting the grippers tomorrow.

Saturday 18th March.

TGU - 3 x 1

HS Pushup - 4 x 5

Air Squats  - 5 x 20

KB Wrist Curls  - 4 x 5

Very quick training session today as time was in short supply. Going to rest tomorrow and look forward to a good session Monday with grippers and Kettlebells.

Monday 20th March.

T - 2 x 5

#1.5 - 2 x 1.  2 x 1 Over Crush.

#2 - 3 x 1 Attempts. 2 x 1 - Negative.

KB Swing - 5 x 10

KB Front Squat - 5 x 10

KB Wrist Curls  - 5 x 5

Today was the closest I've got to closing the #2. It was on my first attempt. Introducing negatives has really helped. Hopefully it won't be too long before I get it. Actually tried to start filming my grip work today but first time round I got the gripper out of shot when I closed it then when I tried again the phone fell on the floor...lol. All in all a really good training session.

Wednesday 22nd March.

T - 2 x 4

#1 - 2 x 2

#2 - 3 x 1 Attempts. 2 x 1 Negative.

KB Snatch  - 2 x 15

KB Clean and Jerk - 5 x 5

KB Wrist Curls - 5 x 5

Pretty decent training session although my hands didn't feel as good as Monday, probably needed another day between grip work but still a good session.

Friday 24th March.

T - 1 x 5. 1 x 2

#1.5 - 3 x 3

#2 - 3 x 1. 3 x 1 Negatives.

Out of town for the weekend so took some grippers with me. Didn't take a kettlebell. No training yesterday due to travelling.

Edited by JD Murray

Saturday 25th March.

HE Pushup  - 3 x 5

Air Squat - 3 x 25

Very quick training session today. Went to the Highland Games at Myrtle Beach. Got real sunburnt and now feel atrocious.😔

Monday 27th March.

T - 3 x 5

#1 - 4 x 1

Air Squat 3 x 20

Very disappointing session. Probably shouldn't have trained but had to do something. Very light grip training as hands are in a bit of a state from the sunburn. Tomorrow's a new day.

Friday 31st March.

Haven't been able to train since Monday. Came down with some kind of virus Tuesday running a fever and all that good stuff and no appetite. Feeling much better today but going to take the rest of the week. Should be good to go Monday.

Monday 3rd April.

T - 3 x 5

#1 - 3 x 5

#1.5 - 3 x 1

#2 - 3 x 1 Negative

Back to training after losing last week. Hands felt down in strength but I guess that's to be expected. Psoriasis including  on hands has really flared up from being sick. Onward!

Hi, nice to see that you have a gripper goal. I would like to give you a suggestion. Try some high rep sets. If your goal is to close the #2, doing negatives and isometrics with that gripper will not help you close that gripper unless you have a progression with lighter grippers you can do reps with. In order for eccentric and isometrics to work (alone) you need to use harder grippers than your goal gripper. This is a poor method for a beginner in my opinion, it only increase the risk for injuries.

I do think there's easier ways for you to improve when you're new. I never did any negatives or any holds and I closed the #2 for five wide reps when I first got it and I only did sets of 10 reps with the T, point five, #1 and #1.5. Try mix it up with more reps. I can se that your volume is very low right now. Doing this you will build a better base level. Just doing attempts and negatives all the time without having a strong foundation will probably lead to constant fatigue. 

• Like 1

On 4/4/2017 at 3:25 AM, Fist of Fury said:

Hi, nice to see that you have a gripper goal. I would like to give you a suggestion. Try some high rep sets. If your goal is to close the #2, doing negatives and isometrics with that gripper will not help you close that gripper unless you have a progression with lighter grippers you can do reps with. In order for eccentric and isometrics to work (alone) you need to use harder grippers than your goal gripper. This is a poor method for a beginner in my opinion, it only increase the risk for injuries.

I do think there's easier ways for you to improve when you're new. I never did any negatives or any holds and I closed the #2 for five wide reps when I first got it and I only did sets of 10 reps with the T, point five, #1 and #1.5. Try mix it up with more reps. I can se that your volume is very low right now. Doing this you will build a better base level. Just doing attempts and negatives all the time without having a strong foundation will probably lead to constant fatigue. 

Thank you for posting. Yes I think some higher reps will be beneficial. I'm still figuring my training out but really enjoying the journey.

Saturday 8th April.

T - 3 x 8

#1 - 2 x 6

Another poor week with my training. Hands very inflamed from psoriasis. Looking forward to getting back into the swing of things and training full tilt in the near future.