Training log of my goal to close the CoC #2.

JD Murray

Hi Everyone, I've been grip training since Oct 2016 but I have been strength training since the late 90s. I mostly just do kettlebell and bodyweight training nowadays and and started training with grippers last October. I started with the CoC Trainer in October and I closed the #1.5 in January. My initial goal for 2017 was to close the GHP5 but my wife got me a CoC #2 for my birthday so that's now my goal. 

Thought it was time I started a training log again like I used to in my younger day's.

First training session since the end of January after being knocked out with the flu. 

Monday 20th Feb.

Kettlebell Swing - 3 x 10 (Swings are 1 always 1 arm)
KB Military Press - 3 x 5
Goblet Squat - 3 x 5

Nice and easy session just ease back into the groove. Start working with the #2 tomorrow.

Edited by JD Murray

On 2/21/2017 at 4:32 PM, JD Murray said:

Tuesday 21st Feb.

T- 3 x 5

#1.5 - 3 x 2

#2 - 4 x 1 attempts.

Assisted Pistol - 3 x 1

How did the attempts go? How close? Video?

5 hours ago, pburke23 said:

How did the attempts go? How close? Video?

Attempt's went better than I thought. I was about 10mm away. Need to figure out how to best to position my phone to do some videos, need to set up a YouTube channel to.

Friday 24th Feb.

KB Swings - 3 x 20

Assisted Pistols - 3 x 1

Couldn't train as I'd intented to today. Gripper day tomorrow.

Edited by JD Murray

Hey dude. I'm a gripper guy myself. Do you do any Barbell/Dumbbell weight lifting like powerlifting or Olympic lifting etc? Just curious because I only see calthetics and kettle bell work so far in the log. If not, throwing some in would def speed up your gripper progress in my opinion. 

Also, it seems like you don't do a lot of gripper work with some days being just a few attempts with your goal which is more testing than training in my opinion. How many grippers do you own. If you have access to a few below your goal, doing some singles, doubles and triples with those I believe would speed up your progress.

I know you just started logging but I think you can blow past the #2 rather quickly with those tweaks and set an even high goal. 

Let me know if you want to talk about it more. I have been training grippers for years.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, Chez said:

Hey dude. I'm a gripper guy myself. Do you do any Barbell/Dumbbell weight lifting like powerlifting or Olympic lifting etc? Just curious because I only see calthetics and kettle bell work so far in the log. If not, throwing some in would def speed up your gripper progress in my opinion. 

Also, it seems like you don't do a lot of gripper work with some days being just a few attempts with your goal which is more testing than training in my opinion. How many grippers do you own. If you have access to a few below your goal, doing some singles, doubles and triples with those I believe would speed up your progress.

I know you just started logging but I think you can blow past the #2 rather quickly with those tweaks and set an even high goal. 

Let me know if you want to talk about it more. I have been training grippers for years.

This and I think you could integrate your calisthenics with your grippers when your CNS is primed. I log just my big three grip stuff but my gripper days include full body movements to get my whole body warm. 

• Like 1

On 2/28/2017 at 7:54 PM, Chez said:

Hey man, Thank's for your reply. No at the moment I don't do any barbell or dumbell work. When I was younger I trained Powerlifting. I haven't trained with a barbell for about 3 years now, I started training with kettlebells around 2 years ago after a major lifestyle change when I moved to the USA from the UK. I didn't really do any of kind training for a year while I was organizing moving. I have psoriatic arthritis and have found kettlebells and calisthenics extremely therapeutic and so far touch wood haven't had even a hint of an injury, my joints have never felt better apart from the usual aches and pains the condition brings. I may start deadlifting with a barbell again though in the future as I miss that.

As for gripper training, I'm thinking of actually having 2 days a week starting next week just for grip training, maybe Tuesday and Saturday and maybe do my calisthenics on those day's to. I get carried away with the kettlebells..lol. I'm still trying to figure my gripper training out, At the moment I'm just doing what I did that enabled to close the #1 and #1.5. I keep the volume low and infrequent so I don't aggravate my hands but I can probably put together a better program than what I've been doing.

Thank you for your help.

Edited by JD Murray

I'm actually making a video of how I train grippers this weekend. I use to have one but my YouTube was hacked and videos deleted. ill post the link here if your interested. Obviously everyone is different but some people said it helped them.

Edited by Chez
  • Like 2

9 hours ago, Chez said:

I'm actually making a video of how I train grippers this weekend. I use to have one but my YouTube was hacked and videos deleted. ill post the link here if your interested. Obviously everyone is different but some people said it helped them.

Thanks Chez, That would be great. I think it will be a great help. 

Monday 6th March.

T - 3 x 3

#1.5 - 3 x 1 

#2 - 3 x 1 Attempts

KB Clean - 3 x 5

KB Front Squat - 3 x 5

KB Wrist Curls - 3 x 5

Felt pretty good today and while I've still a way to go, this session today is the strongest I have felt on the #2.

Edited by JD Murray

Tuesday 7th March.

#2 - 3 x 1 Cheat Close 3 seconds hold.

KB Bottoms Up Hold - 3 x 1

KB Swings - 4 x 10

Not a great day's training. Had a headache hanging about all day. Hopefully feel better tomorrow.

Wednesday 8th March.

T - 3 x 3

#1.5 - 3 x 1

#2 - 3 x 1 Attempts. 1 x 1 Hold 3 Seconds.

KB Swing - 5 x 10 

KB Military Press  - 4 x 5

KB Wrist Curls  - 3 x 5

Felt a lot better than yesterday but still not great. Felt strong on the grippers.

Friday 10th March.

#1 - 3 x 1

#1.5 - 2 x 1

#2 - 4 x 1 Attempts. 2 x 1 Cheat Close Holds 4 Seconds.

KB Swings - 5 x 10

HS Pushup  - 4 x 5

KB Wrist Curls - 4 x 5

Asst Pistol - 3 x 1 (Need to do better with greasing the groove on these)

I was reading through and about to say you should try some negatives. You don't want to jump up too far, but you seem close enough that it should work. Also holds for time with the heaviest gripper you can close.

Put a paperclip between the handles (handles touching) and when the clip drops, go full effort with no assistance from the other hand to close all the way.

• Like 1