World class feat without video evidence rule

Paul Savage

Just want to discuss this rule. I shared a fun story of Becca doing a tns by accident whilst driving when handed a gripper, thinking people would enjoy the story. Instead the thread got locked on this rule. 

I understand this kind of rule being in place to stop people from trolling but is it not obvious its true when said person has ccs'd the same gripper on video when fairly new to grip training, and has done a load of other grip lifts above any other female, again on video..? Not to mention that she's the current UK's strongest women. 

Forgive me if I'm rambling here but I can't see what possible reason I could have to lie and for someone that's already well established, does it really make any sense to use the rule in this manner? Maybe I'm not understanding the purpose of it?

Thanks,

Paul

Just don't do it. If you or someone else does something unbelievable, and you don't have proof, there will be people that don't believe it. We have better things to accomplish on this board than arguing about the veracity of strength claims. It doesn't matter if the claims aren't about you. Especially in a world where everyone has a smartphone, there's no excuse.

• Like 4

How did I know you would push back on this rule?  Who said you lied?  No one.  Who doubted Becca?  No one.

It's a rule for a reason since long before you were on the board. 

35 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

How did I know you would push back on this rule?  Who said you lied?  No one.  Who doubted Becca?  No one.

It's a rule for a reason since long before you were on the board. 

I guess I don't understand the reason dude?? If its not about doubting what was said and keeping the truth, what is the purpose of the rule? I just thought it was a cool story.

1 hour ago, Squeezus said:

Just don't do it. If you or someone else does something unbelievable, and you don't have proof, there will be people that don't believe it. We have better things to accomplish on this board than arguing about the veracity of strength claims. It doesn't matter if the claims aren't about you. Especially in a world where everyone has a smartphone, there's no excuse.

I get what you are saying and honestly I hadn't even thought about this rule before posting. Obviously in this case where she mistakenly closed the gripper  (thinking it was a trainer) to show a friend how to use them its not going to be recorded.

11 minutes ago, Paul Savage said:

I guess I don't understand the reason dude?? If its not about doubting what was said and keeping the truth, what is the purpose of the rule? I just thought it was a cool story.

Because it's a rule.

• Like 1

I think this particular rule is probably the best thing we (as a Community) have ever put in place in terms of keeping things as "real", and controversy-free, as possible.

Does the application of it fall-over occasionally in terms of top guys doing things without proof? Maybe, but on the rare instance that occurs I think it is a cheap price to pay for the benefit it gives...and the feats we get to see.

• Like 3

Nobody said it didn't happen (yet) but inevitably someone will, and it will all go south from there. Questioning someone's integrity and/or their (well deserved) reputation is a recipe for disaster, this is a simple rule to avoid that.

Even an attempt down to 1/4" or less would be impressive here, get a quick video and post that. The rule is "no evidence" not 100% rock solid proof. "TNS it the other day, here's another attempt that got really close" would probably be fine.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, wobbler said:

Nobody said it didn't happen (yet) but inevitably someone will, and it will all go south from there. Questioning someone's integrity and/or their (well deserved) reputation is a recipe for disaster, this is a simple rule to avoid that.

Even an attempt down to 1/4" or less would be impressive here, get a quick video and post that. The rule is "no evidence" not 100% rock solid proof. "TNS it the other day, here's another attempt that got really close" would probably be fine.

Yeah I think I understand the rule a bit better now. I guess I'm just not someone that would doubt any established athlete if they say they have done something, but yes I suppose some people still would.

Unfortunately at the moment we are training specifically for the European championships so only training certain events. She did the feat outside of training by accident trying to show a friend how to use grippers, the friend gave her the wrong gripper. If you are interested in seeing what she can do on grippers we will soon be doing Vulcan gripper 20mm block set and silver bullet hold with the coc. We have started recording every training session with commentary so you can follow how she's doing on our YouTube channel if you wish too. First video should hopefully be up later this week.

• Like 6

Paul,

We’re on the internet and unfortunately it’s not a 100% fact based medium!

This rule was bought in years ago to stop arguments and grandiose claims (and of course trolling).  I didn’t campaign for the rule – but like most members of the time I sure saw a need for it. It keeps this board. . . er. . . .above board!  World class grip feats don't happen just because something is typed to that effect.

I enjoy seeing interesting thread topics detailing a feat because I know they’ll be a clip in there and who really cares if it eats into my internet usage – I’ll watch it and probably learn something or be inspired. They also serve as either proof or the catalyst for discussion and polite disagreement (and potentially an argument – but they’re fairly rare)

Will Becca NEVER manage that feat again?  I doubt it. Post a clip sometime down the track and give other women grip enthusiasts something to aim for. No pressure – but there really should be more of such clips.

Dave

7 hours ago, gripmaniac said:

Paul,

We’re on the internet and unfortunately it’s not a 100% fact based medium!

This rule was bought in years ago to stop arguments and grandiose claims (and of course trolling).  I didn’t campaign for the rule – but like most members of the time I sure saw a need for it. It keeps this board. . . er. . . .above board!  World class grip feats don't happen just because something is typed to that effect.

I enjoy seeing interesting thread topics detailing a feat because I know they’ll be a clip in there and who really cares if it eats into my internet usage – I’ll watch it and probably learn something or be inspired. They also serve as either proof or the catalyst for discussion and polite disagreement (and potentially an argument – but they’re fairly rare)

Will Becca NEVER manage that feat again?  I doubt it. Post a clip sometime down the track and give other women grip enthusiasts something to aim for. No pressure – but there really should be more of such clips.

Dave

Yeah. 

I know its crazy but this is actually not difficult for her. Level 11 Vulcan is roughly estimated at = to a coc #2.5 and on a crom spring that's hard all the way through the rom ccs is possibly even tougher than that would indicate. Since she has done a lot of work on thickbar and thick pinch to well above wr levels and still has the true prep for Europe's to go where we will be doing grippers again in the form of 20mm block set Vulcan and coc silver bullet. She is improving all the time and after rest from Europe's when we try grippers again I am not expecting a #3 ccs to be far away.

Can we bury this discussion?

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Can we bury this discussion?

Sure, take the thread down if you like. Sorry if I did something else wrong.

19 minutes ago, Paul Savage said:

Always pushing the envelope, aren't you?:laugh

CCS #3? and after gripper training she will be close to doing this? Simply amazing

2 hours ago, Paul Savage said:

Paul, I just don't see why we can't move on from this?  It's been explained to death.

21 minutes ago, Jedd Johnson said:

Paul, I just don't see why we can't move on from this?  It's been explained to death.

Yeah that's cool, I think i have a much better understanding of the rule now