Shawna's axle training

Mikael Siversson

2 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

No not really, all I have told her is to lift with the arms slightly bent and the elbows a bit forward. I am technically not good at the 2HP at all as I can't pinch more in the 2HP than my combined right and left 1HP. I think she probably could improve considerably with a good coach.

I'll give you the advice David Horne gave to me then.  Buy a notebook - try EVERYTHING you can think of - and keep good notes.  Experiment with widths well outside your norms and go with what works whether it makes sense, feels good or not.  I have talked about this lift with Jedd, Aaron, Adam Glass, and many of the other big pinchers and it's surprising how many differences we find among us.  I worked with Kody here at my place and put around 40# on his pinch in just a few hours (I never should have helped him - he went on to kick sand in all our faces LOL).  I've added no less than 20# to anyone who I have coached first hand - and found there is no one way that is best for everyone.  Just as an example I do the opposite of elbows forward - I try to "break" it -  I rotate hard into my little fingers with my lats as the driver.  Will this work for her - I have no idea - it's all about finding ways take advantage of her personal strengths and minimizing personal weaknesses.  It also doesn't appear she is trying to "tilt" as much as she might.  I'm always surprised how technical this lift is and some of the tweaks that have made a big difference for people.   Good Luck to her!

Personally I can get close to 50# more with the 2 HP than the total of my individual hands.

Edited by climber511
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Wonderful form and very confident with that weight!!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

No update for a while as I have been away but Shawna kept training by herself. Today was max out day and there is no doubt she has done her home work. Prior to today's workout her axle pr was 85k and the 2HP was 47.85k. She is 17yo and would compete in the 72k class.

After this successful lift she almost got 86.5k as well.

After this pr she told me she wanted to try 50k..

We then decided to do one additional final lift.

About 11 months to go until her first competition

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Mikael Siversson said:

No update for a while as I have been away but Shawna kept training by herself. Today was max out day and there is no doubt she has done her home work. Prior to today's workout her axle pr was 85k and the 2HP was 47.85k. She is 17yo and would compete in the 72k class.

After this successful lift she almost got 86.5k as well.

After this pr she told me she wanted to try 50k..

We then decided to do one additional final lift.

About 11 months to go until her first competition

Extremely impressive. Your daughter has made great progress must be exciting and proud time for both of you.

• Like 1

She is naturally athletic and yes she does make me proud. As you say her progress has been great thus far. She only trains grip once a week atm and I don't see any reason to change that as long as she keeps getting stronger.

Mikael, is it just me, or does your daughter have extraordinarily long fingers? 

My wife asked me how tall she was. If I had to guess, it would be about 5 foot 11, but I am completely guessing. 

Her improvements are very impressive!

A few months ago she was 5 foot 10. Not sure about long fingers. Her hands look much like mine but a bit smaller but they are not small by female standards. I will measure them:).

• 4 weeks later...

Max out day for Shawna. Pr before the workout was 85.5k in the axle and 51.10k in the 2HP.

• Like 3

Great lifts!

• Like 1

Very impressive progress - keep up the good work!

• Like 1

On 30/07/2017 at 9:16 PM, Kluv#0 said:

Extremely impressive. Your daughter has made great progress must be exciting and proud time for both of you.

Shawna Siversson here, thank you, it is very exciting indeed :) 

• Like 1

This is inspiring. I hope that my own daughters develop an interest in grip and strength. They are already showing curiosity and occasionally take a crack at an implement or lift.

• 3 weeks later...

Max out day today for Shawna. Her PRs prior to today's lifting was 87 k in the axle and 51.10k in the Euro 2HP.

Her next attempt was a beautifully executed lift with 90 k. Unfortunately my camera stopped recording halfway through it. She then attempted 90.5k which she almost locked out (but not quite, see video below).

Next up was the 2HP with her best lift recorded below.

Edited by Mikael Siversson
  • Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Max out day yesterday. She almost locked out 91 k in the axle but I managed to hold my mobile upside down when I recorded it.

Another PR in the 2HP. She is getting closer to the ladies record in the 72k class (in training only at this stage of course) which is 54.20k.

• Like 2

Nice lifting, Shawna! Good luck taking the pinch record!

Showing how training works!  You just keep at - adding little bits of weight when possible - and this is what happens.  Almost like progressive resistance training actually works :).

Congratulations and Good Luck getting the record!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

No new PR in the axle although she was extremely close at getting 91kg. She has definitely hit a plateau in the axle. Hopefully we can break through it in January if not earlier when we add wrist training. Pinch was good though as added 0.5k to her pr.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...