Shawna's axle training

Mikael Siversson

My youngest daughter (16yo) Shawna will attempt to crack 100k in the axle before the end of the year (72k class). This is her first workout, last set. We are starting gently with a finishing tripple with 43k. No idea if this is completely unrealistic.

20170212_142235_3335098042204.mp4

• Like 6

New PR of 65k. Still learning the technique hence the 'steering' with the tongue.

• Like 2

We also tried the 2HP but could not be bothered changing the width so its pretty wide for her (64mm). Best lift was 36.7k (video above)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Tried a bit narrower width today (58mm) and increased her PR to 39.3 k.

• Like 1

Great job on the new 71kg PR!  Very solid lift and nice pause at the top - as it should be done. 

• Like 2

Thanks Ben, she was happy to see that someone commented on her lifting.

• Like 1

Strong lift on the axle! And very strict too! But I guess that's inevitable when Mikael Siversson is your father XP

• Like 2

New PRs this weekend for Shawna.

40.3k at 58 mm width (previous PR 39.3k)

73k on the axle (previous PR 71k)

• Like 1

Another good workout for Shawna. No new PR in the axle but she had two very close attempts at 74k. Big PR in the pinch though with 44.1k (previous 40.3k). This time at 54mm width which suited her better than 58mm.

• Like 1

74k on the bar. Believing in yourself is half the battle :)

• Like 2

Great workout for Shawna today.

Here is her new pr in the axle (75k, previous pr 73k)

New pr in the 2HP with 46.1k @ 54mm width (previous pr 44.1k)

Plenty of air under 47.1k as well.

• Like 2

New workout and new pr.

2HP 46.6k @ 54mm width (previous pr 46.1k)

Axle PR with 76k (previous PR 75k).

Also very close attempt at 78k. She lowered the weight a fraction too early. Many would have passed this but I like strict rules.

• Like 1

Very good back position when deadlifting. I've seen so many bad videos of Dad's training their kids and HORRIBLE round backing deadlifts.

• Like 2

No new PR this week but 80k in the axle is probably not far away as she pulled it above the knees.

• Like 3

It's a great thing your daughter likes strength training and especially grip training. She's also very strong, I know a lot of men that can't do that on an axle ("men" :D ). 
Keep it up!

Shawna's last workout as a 16 year-old.

New PR in the 2HP with 47.1k at 54mm width (previous PR 46.6k).

She was also quite a bit closer at pulling 80k in the axle compared with last week. 

Edited by Mikael Siversson
  • Like 2

No max out in the axle this week. Heaviest lift was 75k for four singles.

The 2HP felt heavyish for her and she missed the first attempt at 46k. She did however pull it second time and went on setting a new PR with 47.35k (so 47.25k referred to in the video does not take into account the set up weighs 25.10k and not an even 25k).

Edited by Mikael Siversson

• 2 weeks later...

Shawna smashing her previous axle pr (which was 77 kg set last week) with a flawless lift.

She also raised her 2HP pr by half a kg.

• Like 2

Shawna added another 0.5k to her axle pr. Had an off day with the pinch so no new pr.

• Like 1

Best 2HP was 46.1 k (pr is 47.85k). However the axle workout was once again really good with a new pr. She is now 14k away from the record in her weight class (at 17).

Very nice - especially the Axle form.  Have you done much experimenting with the pinch?  It appears as if she could bring it a little closer to her body (step slightly forward) and that might engage her lats a little more?

No not really, all I have told her is to lift with the arms slightly bent and the elbows a bit forward. I am technically not good at the 2HP at all as I can't pinch more in the 2HP than my combined right and left 1HP. I think she probably could improve considerably with a good coach.