228.1lbs on the Stirrup

Boulderbrew

Just got my Stirrup in today from Barrel Strength Systems. This is another really fun grip tool that I feel translates pretty well to rock climbing training (open hand and all on the fingers). 

• Like 9

hmm not sure. I would like to become more well rounded in grip, so I may actually begin to put more emphasis on grippers and pinch devices. I should really start wearing shoes when I train as well haha. My rock climber hobbit feet take center stage in this video. I would like to see how close I am to lifting a fatman right now. Training to complete staples of grip strength is what I am most psyched on. I lifted the inch a couple days ago at an armwrestling practice. I will try to get a copy of that video later.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boulderbrew said:

hmm not sure. I would like to become more well rounded in grip, so I may actually begin to put more emphasis on grippers and pinch devices. I should really start wearing shoes when I train as well haha. My rock climber hobbit feet take center stage in this video. I would like to see how close I am to lifting a fatman right now. Training to complete staples of grip strength is what I am most psyched on. I lifted the inch a couple days ago at an armwrestling practice. I will try to get a copy of that video later.

Not only is that the most insane stirrup lift we'll probably see for a while, but lifting the inch? :ohmy
Get that video up!  You'll easily be one of the lightest guys to have ever lifted it!!!

On 2/6/2017 at 4:34 PM, Boulderbrew said:

I lifted the inch a couple days ago at an armwrestling practice. I will try to get a copy of that video later.

Not only did this man lift the inch, he lifted it so easily with each hand that after fatiguing himself armwrestling he said, and I quote, "I'm so tired right now I don't even think I could lift the inch." If I were to tell the complete story, I would tell you that he then proceeded to lift the inch anyway and hold it for maybe 10 seconds at the top.

In one evening, in addition to armwrestling, he slammed two different number threes from at least parallel, pinched three 25s, toyed with the inch, performed one arm chins from the tips tester, carried a 45 hex around easily (almost carried it from the practice location to the car), hub curled a 45lb plate, squeezed 280lb first try on my bathroom scale, and got air under a pair of thick 45s. 

For those curious about his weight: he weighed 170lb, fully clothed, on an analog bathroom scale that I brought. The scale tends to weigh people about 5lb light, so his actual weight was probably ~175lb that night, fully clothed--probably 170lb in the morning.

It was absolutely incredible to watch.

• Like 6

7 minutes ago, Ivarboneless said:

It was absolutely incredible to watch.

Thanks for the props Michael. What was truly incredible, was how freaky you are on an armwrestling table! 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Gabriel O'Keeffe said:

@Boulderbrew , I think you've said you've been climbing for ten years? How many hours a week would you say you climb? Thank you.

I have been climbing for about 12 years. I would say on average I climb about 8 hours a week. Training consists of projecting at my limit, and then working on campus boards and one arm pull-ups every Monday and Friday. Wednesday's I usually train power endurance and climb at 60-75% of max with no rest for an extended period of time. On the weekends I climb casually with friends.

51 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

I have been climbing for about 12 years. I would say on average I climb about 8 hours a week. Training consists of projecting at my limit, and then working on campus boards and one arm pull-ups every Monday and Friday. Wednesday's I usually train power endurance and climb at 60-75% of max with no rest for an extended period of time. On the weekends I climb casually with friends.

Thanks a ton. I'm revamping my notions of work capacity and approach to training with regards to specificity, this is a great help. Much appreciated! 

1 hour ago, Gabriel O'Keeffe said:

Thanks a ton. I'm revamping my notions of work capacity and approach to training with regards to specificity, this is a great help. Much appreciated! 

Ahh cool. Do you plan on using rock climbing as a form of grip training? If so I may cation you against it. Rock climbing has provided me a pretty solid foundation as far as grip strength goes, but I would not consider it a "go to" method for building raw power. Just my two cents. 

15 hours ago, Boulderbrew said:

Ahh cool. Do you plan on using rock climbing as a form of grip training? If so I may cation you against it. Rock climbing has provided me a pretty solid foundation as far as grip strength goes, but I would not consider it a "go to" method for building raw power. Just my two cents. 

I'd considered it, but there's time/money constraints. I am going to attempt to ramp up total training volume and variety, as I currently train maybe 2 hours a week,with a very thick-bar centric routine. Your success via climbing experience is kind of proof of concept that high volume works :)

On 2/7/2017 at 6:59 AM, WestSlope said:
On 2/6/2017 at 6:25 PM, Daniel Fleming said:

Not only is that the most insane stirrup lift we'll probably see for a while, but lifting the inch? :ohmy
Get that video up!  You'll easily be one of the lightest guys to have ever lifted it!!!

I'd like to see your Inch lift as well.

Okay I got a copy of the video. We tried to weigh the inch but it was super awkward balancing it on the analog scale. Next time I will bring out my digital scale. 

• Like 9

13 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Okay I got a copy of the video. We tried to weigh the inch but it was super awkward balancing it on the analog scale. Next time I will bring out my digital scale. 

AWESOME

Damn strong man :rock 
Seems we have two new Tommy Heslep's. One is you @Boulderbrew and one is Daniel Fleming

• Like 1

Thanks guys! I am getting pretty motivated to keep training grip and possibly do a competition. I better start deadlifting or I don't stand a chance on an axle haha.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Get this man another Inch.  Probably would be the first to do a double Inch lift at less than the weight of the bell.  Nice job is an understatement.  

• Like 1