Pronation training

David_wigren

Pronation training. Did 4 reps with 6.25 (video) kg and 2 reps with 7.5 kg. I'm using a little body english and my hand is lifting a bit off from the table. It's super important to keep the hand as close to the table as possible otherwise it becomes more of an ulnar movement making it alot easier. I try not to lift my hand more than an inch. 

I don't remember the total length of the handle but I know that from the end of the handle down to where the weights start is 33.5 cm. 

Btw the guy in the background with the green shirt did a 180 kg axle lift first time he tried it! He also closed a number 3 and lifted a blob50, all on his first try. The dude's a beast! 

• Like 6

I believe supination, which is when you turn your wrist in the opposite direction from what I'm doing in the video, is a great exercise for strong and healthy wrists. It's kind of opposite to pronation. Pronation always feel like it carries a certain risk of injury when training it. And afterward I can feel a bit achy and sore. Supination on the other hand always feel good during and after the exercise, even no matter how heavy I go with it. 

Edited by David_wigren
  • Like 1

That is some super strong pronation! And your form looked good too. I have never tried a heavy hammer (I assume that is what you are using there) but it looks pretty legit. 

I always used a 1.5" rope with a weight attached to it. I would lay my arm on my practice AW table and lift the weight off the floor by rotating the wrist. 

A heavy hammer, such as this device, would definely enforce good form. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

That is some super strong pronation! And your form looked good too. I have never tried a heavy hammer (I assume that is what you are using there) but it looks pretty legit. 

I always used a 1.5" rope with a weight attached to it. I would lay my arm on my practice AW table and lift the weight off the floor by rotating the wrist. 

A heavy hammer, such as this device, would definely enforce good form. 

Thank you man! I've done a similar movement but with the use of bands. I think using a rope or band like you described might even be a better exercise to develop specific armwrestling strength. But it's super easy to cheat with a band. So in grip competition terms I much prefer using a handle like this.

• Like 1

Strong. This is a great exercise that I've done from day #1 since I started to train my grip. It makes the arms strong and it's great as prehab and rehab. It's a fun exercise too. One thing that I think it's unique with it is that I always get sore from doing it, it really doesn't matter how frequent I train it, I always get sore wrists from it. But it doesn't take away strength from other stuff like grippers or thick bar.

• Like 1

BEAST!!!

even made it look kinda easy!!!

"Wiggy The WristTwister" will henceforth be thine AW-nickname... ;)

Edited by Peter Brannstrom
  • Like 1

Good stuff! And that guy in the background is a true beast indeed if that was his first go at grip! Who introduced this to him, if this was his first axle lift etc? 

• Like 1

On 06/02/2017 at 6:09 PM, Fist of Fury said:

Strong. This is a great exercise that I've done from day #1 since I started to train my grip. It makes the arms strong and it's great as prehab and rehab. It's a fun exercise too. One thing that I think it's unique with it is that I always get sore from doing it, it really doesn't matter how frequent I train it, I always get sore wrists from it. But it doesn't take away strength from other stuff like grippers or thick bar.

I have slightly different experience. If I train supination hard my grippers go to complete shit. I think it's because supination hits the extensors hard, and the extensors are important for closing grippers.

3 hours ago, Geralt said:

Good stuff! And that guy in the background is a true beast indeed if that was his first go at grip! Who introduced this to him, if this was his first axle lift etc? 

I've known him closer to 15 years. He's a multiple swedish weightlifting champion. I showed him a number 2 about 5 years. At first he got it down to 1/2" or so (think Mark Felix). But after I showed him how to set it he closed it like nothing. Right after that I handed him a #3 and he closed it just as easy. This last fall I brought my old blob50 to the gym and he lifted it. And about a month back I bought an axle and he maxed out at 180 kg, and yes it was his first try ever on the axle. He's also lifted 100 kg flat on the RT. It's a shame he's not interested in grip. I think if he gave it an honest go, he'd definitely be one of the big boys.

• Like 1

Holy crap, 100 kg on the RT on the first try. Thats amazing even for a person that has been in strength sport for a long time.

5 hours ago, Peter Brannstrom said:

BEAST!!!

even made it look kinda easy!!!

"Wiggy The WristTwister" will henceforth be thine AW-nickname... ;)

Haha thank you Peter! I need to get in contact with Neil Pickup and set up a supermatch! David the Wrist Twister Wigren! I like it 😂

I'm preety sure I'm going to do the Golden arms on the 25th. I only hope that I don't get matched with some of the ridiculously strong puller from Kazakhstan that usually dominate that competition.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Fist of Fury said:

Holy crap, 100 kg on the RT on the first try. Thats amazing even for a person that has been in strength sport for a long time.

I don't think it was his very first try on the RT though. I know he's tried it at least a few times. But still, 100 kg is pretty sick! His hands and forearms are giant though! 190 cm tall and around 170 kg so he's not a small feller!

15 minutes ago, David_wigren said:

I have slightly different experience. If I train supination hard my grippers go to complete shit. I think it's because supination hits the extensors hard, and the extensors are important for closing grippers.

If I use a small diameter handle like a normal dumbbell I have no problem but if I use the ironmind heavy hammer (50 mm) I can get some troubles doing other stuff since that hits the thumb pad very hard as well. It taxes the hand much more.

• Like 1

Well done!

And your friend is a beast.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/5/2017 at 11:28 AM, David_wigren said:

It's super important to keep the hand as close to the table as possible otherwise it becomes more of an ulnar movement making it alot easier. I try not to lift my hand more than an inch.

I've been doing this exercise for a few months now, but when I saw this post I look note of what you said above and realised I have been lifting my hand higher than 1 inch from the floor. Tried it this week with strict form with my hand just hovering above the floor and struggled to get the reps in, failed a few times but just kept going, and today 3 days afterwards my wrists are very sore indeed! feel like I might have overdone it...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, exarmy said:

I've been doing this exercise for a few months now, but when I saw this post I look note of what you said above and realised I have been lifting my hand higher than 1 inch from the floor. Tried it this week with strict form with my hand just hovering above the floor and struggled to get the reps in, failed a few times but just kept going, and today 3 days afterwards my wrists are very sore indeed! feel like I might have overdone it...

It's normal to get extremely sore from this exercise. I need to do it two or three times per week to get rid of the soreness. It's hard to do it several times per week in the beginning because of the extreme sorness.