Squats

Strong Man

i was wondering about how many sets should i do of squats i do 185lbs 20 reps, for 2 sets, Super Squats the book says to do 1 set and keys to progress says to do 2 what should i do?

Edited by Strong Man

Strongman,

try both and see what works for you, don't be afraid to adapt routines to you instead of the other way around. On the other hand trying something that seems totally off the wall from what you normally do can sometimes help you blast through plateaus.

Wanna can insert a KTA plug here ;)

Jon@han

i was wondering about how many sets should i do of squats i do 185lbs 20 reps, for 2 sets, Super Squats the book says to do 1 set and keys to progress says to do 2 what should i do?

If you can do 2 sets of 20 rep squats you need to up your poundage!

The big factor on the 20 rep scheme is to push yourself on the last ..what?...5, reps? according to "Super Squats" you should be breathing like a "steam Train" or something to the affect.

When I did the 20 rep squats I couldnt even think of another set when I was done. At one time I blacked out on the last rep and stumbled around with the weights for maybe 15-20 seconds untill I was able to rack it. Then I throwed up. I usually layed down on the floor for at least 10-15 minutes before I felt like trying to get up. It is funny, I always remember thinking to myself that I would NEVER do anything stupid as that after the set.

But those squats work, they will expand your ribcage like nothing else and make you ready for serious gains later on.

alright thanks guys i'll try 200lbs next time

Guest shovelboy

Is your goal PL oriented? for max lifts every 8-10 weeks type thing? Then you should do 1 warmup set of only 8-10, with 62.5% max.

5, with 65%

5, with 70%

4, w/ 72.5%

4, w/ 75%

3, w/ 77.5%

3, w/ 80%

week 1 Do a max session to get your baseline weight to percent out.

week 2 -7 do the above routine

week 8 warmup set ONLY

week 9 warmup set, ATT#1, ATT#2, ATT#3

thats pretty good but my go with my own routines

well i've found my way doing 20 reps with 205lbs now i'm doing pretty good in squats every so on i will move up 10-20lbs

O.K., let's go over this ONE MORE TIME :mellow

One set.

Twenty reps.

If you can do the set with ease, bump up the weight another 10 to 20 pounds. Ya gotta bleed on the squats. If they seem easy, guess what - you're loafing - bump up the weight.

On the other hand... if you can't get all 20 reps - then stay at that weight until you do. Once you do, bump it up another 10 pounds.

Do them "breathing style" if you can. Inhale, squat, then exhale on the way up. Cram as much oxygen as you can into your lungs. The expanding lungs are supposed to give you a bigger wider ribcage.

After the squats, you then do a set of pullovers with a DB. This "stretches" your ribcage even more. Moderate to light DB for two sets.

Now, let's talk about protein. The Super Squats method says to drink lots of milk... and you can. Or you can take protein supplements. It's your choice. But if you're building bulk and mass, you NEED to consume protein or you can just forget it.

So are you up to speed yet? :blink

One set. 20 reps. DB pullovers after the squats. Lots of protein.

Class dismissed!! :yikes;):D

thanks snott of the lesson but i know what i'm doing i just wanted to see if i could do 205, as for the protein part don't you worry about that, i have enough protein as it is, but i will start doing those pull overs

• 4 weeks later...

I found an article once about what it feels like to go through a 20 rep squat set; not sure where it is though. I've always heard that you pick a weight you can do for 10 and then do it for 20. Sounds impossible? Not really. Pick a weight that you can do 10 without stopping but 11 would require taking a short break. Then use that weight and do 20. By 13 you think it's not going to happen, but you just keep the bar on your back, take in deep breaths and get one or two more reps until you finally get to 20. If done right, you are almost literally dead after the set.

Actually, pick a weight that you can do about 8 without stopping... Then try and get 22 reps... did that with 110 kgs no-no-no-no*

(That is, no spotter, belt, wraps, Azz to the grazz fullsquats, with no lunch at least an 1hr 1/2 beforehand)

ouch... I can still feel it...

I think the Cyberpump iron page shirt says it best "Shut Up and Squat!"

• 2 weeks later...
Actually, pick a weight that you can do about 8 without stopping... Then try and get 22 reps... did that with 110 kgs no-no-no-no*

(That is, no spotter, belt, wraps, Azz to the grazz fullsquats, with no lunch at least an 1hr 1/2 beforehand)

ouch... I can still feel it...

i just got the shirt No No No i love it.

i just got that shirt i love it