Boulderbrew

Plant based dieting

Boulderbrew

I am going to take a shot in the dark in assume there are not many grippsters that follow plant based dieting. I may be a lone wolf here, but for the past year and a half I have been vegetarian while trying to be as vegan as possible (probably 90% Vegan). Since I began eating way more plants (fruit, veggies, nuts, beans, and legumes) I have noticed an increase in energy and overall boost in mood. I am by no means a belligerent vegan who strives to force my opinion on others, however I am interested in discussing nutrition, and the impact food has on our training and health. Anyone else following plant based diets?

Adam Juncker

I'm not vegan or vegetarian by any means but I strive to make 40% of my protein intake plant based. I started this a while back and I find that vegetable based protein is much easier to prepare, keep fresh, and doesn't come with all the "baggage" that meat and whey protein can come with. 

I enjoy Vega One protein powder which is a plant based protein powder. I tastes really good, actually, if mixed with water.

wobbler

I eat a lot of meat, but I usually just eat one big meal a day, lunch.

Breakfast is almonds, cashews, or sunflower seeds with some coffee. I think those fats help with skin co ditioning or hwever that works.

Dinner is usually (being honest) a couple beers, cheese and crackers or some normal food, or no food.

• Like 1

Boulderbrew
3 hours ago, Adam Juncker said:

I'm not vegan or vegetarian by any means but I strive to make 40% of my protein intake plant based. I started this a while back and I find that vegetable based protein is much easier to prepare, keep fresh, and doesn't come with all the "baggage" that meat and whey protein can come with. 

I enjoy Vega One protein powder which is a plant based protein powder. I tastes really good, actually, if mixed with water.

Ahh yeah I like Vega as well. People seem to forget than many plants are great sources of protein. For example the average head of broccoli contains 17g of protein, not to mention all the phytonutrients. A little off topic, but I feel the meat and dairy industry has greatly exaggerated the daily recommended protein intake for people trying to build muscle. As long as the body maintains a positive nitrogen balance, you are getting enough protein. Plus plants have a complete amino acid profile, props to you for getting 40% of your protein from plants. just an informative link http://circ.ahajournals.org/content/105/25/e197.full

• Like 1

Boulderbrew
9 minutes ago, wobbler said:

I eat a lot of meat

haha I imagine this is probably the norm in the lifting community 

• Like 1

Wannagrip

I eat a ton of veggies now every week -- mostly spinach, kale, and broccoli.  But, I still eat meat for protein.  I have never been more healthy and lean by this huge increase in veggies overall.  That is where most of my carbs come from as well.  

JasonL

Please read

Nutrition and physical degeneration by Weston A price.

Jared Goguen
On 2/2/2017 at 3:00 PM, Boulderbrew said:

I am going to take a shot in the dark in assume there are not many grippsters that follow plant based dieting. I may be a lone wolf here, but for the past year and a half I have been vegetarian while trying to be as vegan as possible (probably 90% Vegan). Since I began eating way more plants (fruit, veggies, nuts, beans, and legumes) I have noticed an increase in energy and overall boost in mood. I am by no means a belligerent vegan who strives to force my opinion on others, however I am interested in discussing nutrition, and the impact food has on our training and health. Anyone else following plant based diets?

I've been vegan since 2003. Also @Mike Sharkey is vegan.

Boulderbrew
20 minutes ago, Jared Goguen said:

I've been vegan since 2003. Also @Mike Sharkey is vegan.

Awesome! I had no idea. I eat 95% vegan, but would like to be full vegan. Just haven't fully committed yet.

• Like 1

Jared Goguen
6 minutes ago, Boulderbrew said:

Awesome! I had no idea. I eat 95% vegan, but would like to be full vegan. Just haven't fully committed yet.

It's a process.

All I suggest is that you do your own research and try to read between the lines some as far as dietary information goes. There's a lot of paid for 'science' out there, misinformation, and people making uninformed anecdotal claims about nutrition as it relates to over all health and fitness.  

Boulderbrew
28 minutes ago, Jared Goguen said:

It's a process.

All I suggest is that you do your own research and try to read between the lines some as far as dietary information goes. There's a lot of paid for 'science' out there, misinformation, and people making uninformed anecdotal claims about nutrition as it relates to over all health and fitness.  

My fiancé is vegan, soeverything we eat at home is vegan. It's just when I'm out with friends it is so inconvenient, so I just eat vegetarian. I have seen Forks over Knives and am familiar with some research, like that of Caldwell Esselstyn's. It's frustrating filtering through bs studies that have been funded by the meat and dairy industry. 

• Like 1

Climber028

Growing up I was eating the standard American diet, fast food, sugar and all that garbage. Around 2010 I started learning about nutrition and have been hooked since. I'm not vegan and don't strive to be but ramping up my vegetable intake was the best thing I've ever done. I try to eat as many as possible and think everybody should. I don't mind what anybody does with meat or dairy but I would encourage everybody to have a diet predominately plant based. Plant variety is also extremely important, I always try to grab new and weird items I've never seen and throw them into meal rotation. I'm lucky enough to live in a city with over a dozen farmers markets, makes it real easy to eat well without spending a fortune.

Fist of Fury

I tried to be a vegetarian for a while but it did absolutely nothing for me so I started to eat meat again. I do however eat much less red meat these days, trying to keep the inflammation levels lower. I mostly eat bananas, brown rice, eggs, chicken and salmon these days and also a lot of vegetables.

I like nuts but the problem for me is that they go straight through me hehe :D

Hemp is good but it's so disgusting, can't stand the taste of it unfortunately.

I think it's very difficult to be a good vegetarian, at least where I live. There's not a lot of variety in the stores here. Vegan? Not even going to try that here, I will probably die in a week or two haha :D

Rob McMurren

I've gone plant based most of the day.    Oatmeal for breakfast.  Spinach and other greens for lunch.  Lots of nuts, black coffee , no sweets.   Supper is some sort of lean protein and vegetables.  

Slowly moving away from animal based diet.  Something I never thought I would do. 

Dropped about 25 pounds without losing strength, feel better overall.

Durrs

I have a few questions for those that do a plant based diet and count macros how many grams of protein are you getting per day? How many grams of those are coming from Soy? What are some of your favorite snacks or meals that have a full amino acid profile (ex rice/beans)?