Daniel Fleming - Level 1

Bill Piche

gallery_9552_18_411.jpg

The GripBoard Proudly Certifies:

Daniel Fleming

GripBoard Mash Monster Level 1

This certification is granted by The GripBoard as an independent third party with no ethical or commercial conflict of interest.

The Mash Monster Gripper is one of a limited number supplied and controlled by The GripBoard.

The gripper is closed with one hand under strict and uniformly ethical and authenticated conditions.

This momentous feat was demonstrated on video to assure it will be valid for posterity.

Official Mash Monster Video

Name: Daniel Fleming
Height: 6'3"
Weight: 180lbs
Date of Feat: January 27, 2017

Witness: 
How Long Grip Training: 1 year
Current Grip Training Program: I don't follow any program at the moment.
Other Training Info: 2-3 years of armwrestling and 1 year of climbing prior to grip sport.
Other Info: Full time tattoo artist in Montreal
Acknowledgements:  Big shoutout to avasatu, temmmeeee, and Wobbler (their Gripboard names)
We've been talking for months about technique, training advice, equipment, etc. and they've
been nothing but motivation!

Interview with Daniel Fleming

Could you tell us a little about your background in lifting?

I was never really a gym guy, but I was a mover for 3 years so that might 
count as lifting.

How did you get into grip training?

It was the result of getting into armwrestling a few years before.  Armwrestling really got me addicted to hand/wrist strength.  So when I was forced to miss out on armwrestling practices, I found climbing.   After a year of intense climbing and training my fingers at the climbing gym, I found grip sport! I was instantly hooked.

You are now a GripBoard Mash Monster, what would you recommend to those aspiring to close this gripper?

Practice your set and really think about what you're doing in your set.   I feel like a lot of people are capable of closing stronger grippers, but haven't found a consistently good way to set the gripper.   

What does your current grip routine look like?

I have a day dedicated to pinching, pinch holds, and sometimes hub.  Another day is dedicated to thick bar, like reps with the 2.5" crusher and fat grip thumbless pull ups. And lastly I recently added some wrist curls and other wrist training into a 3rd day. Most days, I train grippers to warm up except on thick bar day. Same thing with fingerwalks, but at the end of my training session to burn out. Ill usually try to avoid training 2 days in a row. I usually give 2 days to rest after thickbar day.

How has your grip routine changed since you first started training your grip?

Firstly, I have a lot more implements to train with. Secondly, I have a way better location to train in. And thirdly, I really got better at knowing how long my body takes to heal, and when to call it quits.

There seems to be a significant variation in the frequency of grip workouts among trainees. Have you experimented with workout frequency and it’s affect on your training?

The first thing I realized when I started grip training was that you can't train grippers every day.  My knuckles and top of hand were giving me toothache feelings. The only other device that messes me up for a few days is the 2.5" crusher.  The way it hits my tendons keeps me away from grippers or pinch for at least 2 days. So I've learned to adjust my training frequency depending on which implement I trained with previously.

What are your favorite grip exercises?

Definitely pinch (any kind of pinch) comes first, followed closely by grippers.  Lately Ive been developing a love for hub lifting!

What kind of starting routine would you recommend for a trainee new to grip training?

I'm not one to be giving routine advice, but I could tell the person to just give the basics like grippers and pinch a try.  Learn how your body reacts to each, then develop a routine based on how your body recovers.

Who do you most admire in gripdom?

I'm totally into the whole pound for pound guys so ever since I began training I've always looked up to Bob Sundin and Kody Burns.  The lifts they are able to achieve at their size is completely mind blowing.

If you were to start over again with your grip training, what would you do differently?

I wouldn't have changed anything.  Everything I've done so far has just been part of the learning process.   Starting grip training younger could've been helpful, but there is nothing I can do about that.

What do you believe is the most difficult grip exercise?

Everything is difficult when there's a lot of weight involved!

What are some of your personal bests in grip exercises?

There's plenty of lifts that got me stoked!   2hp 100kg on the flask, 298lbs 2" vbar, 200lbs on the Little Big Horn,  closing an rgc 200 gripper choked to parallel, mashmonster set and close my rgc 170 ghp8, and probably others I'm forgetting.

What do you believe is the most common mistake made by new grip trainees?

Well almost every mistake will help you learn for the next time.  Try to always better your technique.  A device might look simple to lift, but there is always a better way to grab it.

What do you consider to be the greatest grip feats of all time?

Almost anything that Kody posts, the stuff Laine Snook has done with the millennium dumbbell, Gabriel Sums no set of a Coc 3.5, Bob Sundin lifting 2x25k plates at his size!  There is so many more that I didn't name, especially lately.  People are taking things to 
the next level.

Do you have any parting advice for readers?

Do what you love.  Your biggest competition is yourself!  You can't only have strong muscles, you need a strong mind to go with them.

danielfleming.jpg

Daniel Fleming, the 105th man in the world to close the Mash Monster Gripper - Level 1.