Deadlifting

thomas straub

Ok, my turn to make everybody feel strong. I'm 26 and I just attempted my 1st 374. I failed. It doesn't matter how far off the ground I got it, I failed. I'll hit 400 this year, but I'm 26.

that's good shovelboy, it just depends on when you start doing them!

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thomas straub

• Strong Man

• JasonL

• Matt Van Weele

I need to get more weights to find out actually. I can do 300 pretty easily though.

yaa that's pretty good!

Guest shovelboy

Cause I've got a PR of 366 already, so I never do a lift if it's from 50lbs-1lb LESS than my old max. I just have to make my 1st attempt 315 or 320, then go for 374 or 379. After that, 3rd........

I need to get more weights to find out actually. I can do 300 pretty easily though.

ya same man i can rep with it

Guest shovelboy

I finished repping with 250 last night. For 4 weeks, I've been throwing in 2 DLsets at the end of back and biceps. 1 set with 250 for 4 1st wk, 5 2nd wk, 6 3rd wk, 7 last night. The second set was always with more: 294 for 4 all wks.except last night which was 300 for 4. I couldn't let Steph get away with out-repping me. ;)

Now I'm going to have my 1st set with 300 for 4 1st wk, 5 2nd wk, and so on until I get to 6. The second set will be for doubles cause I'll probably put 335 or 340 on there.

I REALLY want that 400 this year.

I finished repping with 250 last night. For 4 weeks, I've been throwing in 2 DLsets at the end of back and biceps. 1 set with 250 for 4 1st wk, 5 2nd wk, 6 3rd wk, 7 last night. The second set was always with more: 294 for 4 all wks.except last night which was 300 for 4. I couldn't let Steph get away with out-repping me. ;)

Now I'm going to have my 1st set with 300 for 4 1st wk, 5 2nd wk, and so on until I get to 6. The second set will be for doubles cause I'll probably put 335 or 340 on there.

I REALLY want that 400 this year.

that's good shovelboy :rock

Thomas, when I pulled 341 I had been training hard and steady for about 5 months.

eric

that's really good. only 122lbs and DL 341 and only 5months of training, i can only do 250 and i'm 175lbs. But before those 5 months were you still in the 300's?

I remember it being a very big deal when I pulled 225, shortly after stsrting deadlifts. "Wow, two 45's per side", I thought.

My training back then: max singles and doubles every workout. Needless to say, that program is no longer effective.

Guest shovelboy

where was the other 45# on your 225? Counting the bar?

IPF rules do that too?

Cause I just count the plates.

Edited by shovelboy

Should count the bar. Moreover their weights vary ! As for me I'm far more interested in the total weight i lift than the number of plates i put, even if the weight is not that high... :D

i remember it being a very big deal when I pulled 225, shortly after stsrting deadlifts. "Wow, two 45's per side", I thought.

i would say doing 100lbs over your weight is good for just starting! your bodyweight was 122lbs, and you were DL 225lbs very impressive.

If done on an olympic bar (normal size) your 366 would be 411. It is generally considered that the bar, plus the plates and collars (if your using the 2.5kg ones, of course), is the standard way of counting the weight.

Nice deadlifting, BTW.

If done on an olympic bar (normal size) your 366 would be 411.

yes becasue the olympic bar weighs 45pounds.

Today I DL'ed 375 pounds on my homemade 2" thick bar.

I think this is quite good for me since I didn't do any kind of a warmup and it's been a long time since the last time I DL'ed! :)

So if you're doing deads, do them on a thick bar!! ;):bow

Does anyone deadlift w/ a trap or shrug bar?

I can pull 385 for a set of 10 or 415 for about 4 or 5 singles w/ my PDA shrugBar 2inch handles. Anyone also workout on this bar or have an idea how this compares to the axle deadlift (both non revolving 2 inch thick) ?

-Matt

Today I DL'ed 375 pounds on my homemade 2" thick bar.

I think this is quite good for me since I didn't do any kind of a warmup and it's been a long time since the last time I DL'ed! :)

So if you're doing deads, do them on a thick bar!! ;):bow

that's alot of weight for a 2'' bar good job.

my bar is only a 1'' and i can only do 250, well i guess thats what ya get for never working a day in your life.

thomas,

NEVER BE HAPPY. Never accept what you're lifting now, and if you can't lift what other guys can.... so what? The way I look at it is, "Work In Progress".

Do you think I was able to close the #3 on my first attempt? Hell no, but I didn't let that stop me. I WORKED AT IT. You do the same. Once you get used to a weight, slap on another 10 pounds and lift it again. My goal is 500# on my thick bar; I know I'm going to lift it because I'm determined to do so. And you should do the same!!

thomas,

NEVER BE HAPPY. Never accept what you're lifting now, and if you can't lift what other guys can.... so what? The way I look at it is, "Work In Progress".

Do you think I was able to close the #3 on my first attempt? Hell no, but I didn't let that stop me. I WORKED AT IT. You do the same. Once you get used to a weight, slap on another 10 pounds and lift it again. My goal is 500# on my thick bar; I know I'm going to lift it because I'm determined to do so. And you should do the same!!

thanks for the advice snott. i wish you luck on getting to 500.

i will lift more, i wil lift more, i will

I dont deadlift on a thick bar. Why? Well, when I deadlift, I shoot for increasing my puling strength for competition. I dont use a thick bar in competition, so I save the thick bar training for grip workouts.

When I train grip-there is no way I can do more deadlifts-especially after working into the 600 and 700s (800s+ if I am rack pulling) during my regular workout!

I settle for Inch holds and the RT.

Rick Walker :rock

but... how much do you think you could do on a thick bar?

(2'')

Guest PineAway
Does anyone deadlift w/ a trap or shrug bar?

Anyone also workout on this bar or have an idea how this compares to the axle deadlift (both non revolving 2 inch thick) ?

I'm also interested in peoples thoughts on deadlifting with a trap/shrug bar.