Deadlifting

thomas straub

i use to i also use to use heavy dumbbells for shugs but now i leave it up to MP's

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• thomas straub

• Strong Man

• JasonL

• Matt Van Weele

I built my self a trap bar. It is nice for better form. Haven't used it much but it might be worth while for some. I'll tell ya whats hard for deadlifts. DB's. I made two of them out of lead and coffee cans that weigh 147 and 148 a peice. My friend has pulled over 400 in the dead very easy and barely broke the DB's off the ground.

sounds cool i'm going to try that sometime matt i'll set to 130lbs and work my way up

• 4 weeks later...

Just a quick point, but when you're 14 you're usually quite a bit shorter than when you're 20+, so the ROM in deadlifting is a lot shorter. Come to think of it, I think deadlifts should have an adjustment for ROM. I don't care if you can dead 600 lbs if your ROM is 4 inches.

the average 14 yr old isn't that small, i don't know anybodys ROM that is 4" thats alittle too small.

The average 14 year olds that i know are about 5''5-5''7 and weigh about 115-130lbs.

But then again there are really small kids that are 4''10-5''1 and weigh 65lbs and really big kids that are 5''10 and 270lbs.

Edited by thomas straub

• 4 weeks later...
Just a quick point, but when you're 14 you're usually quite a bit shorter than when you're 20+, so the ROM in deadlifting is a lot shorter. Come to think of it, I think deadlifts should have an adjustment for ROM. I don't care if you can dead 600 lbs if your ROM is 4 inches.

I don't think any 14 year olds ROM is that small. Maybe like 10-20"

I know mine is like around 15''.

• 3 weeks later...

Man, i weight 154 and pulled 340pds. I better get to work more on my training. I barebell hack squatted 405pds if that counts for anything. :rock:rock:rock

• 3 weeks later...

Umm well i havn't been doing deadlifting much, the most i've ever done was 250 and i've practice it about 5 times. I'm going to really get serious into it soon though.

I don't really deadlift. I do Dead Lockouts and Barebell Hack squats. Love the hack squats.

I have deadlifted 400 on a thick bar (I wasn't able to in competition grrrr).

I have done a movement similar to a trap bar deadlift (farmer's hold) with 600lbs (300 per hand), but I dropped them before full lockout on saturday. I farmer's walked 250lbs per hand for 56 feet in competition also on saturday (wasn't very happy with that).

Hooligan

what is your height and weight? , if you don't mind me asking? thanks...

• 2 weeks later...

My deadlift weight has fallin too 245lbs.

i think its from the new bar i started doing it with, instead of a 20lb bar, i now use a olympic bar, which is thicker and weighs more, so i think that was the problem and i havn't been practiceing deadlifting like i should be.

Guest Rooster

Thomas,

like anything else develope a plan for getting to 500. Also how close are to 15? It seems the battle line has been drawn. Your immediate goal should be 342 before you hit 15. You can do it. I was trying to remember how much I did at that age and I can remember. I know I was into the mid 400's when i was 16 (weighing 170lbs). geesh I wish I could remember. I do remember learning how to deadlift when I was 14, but I dont know how much I did before 15. I could clean and jerk 225 when I was 14....(we had a weight lifting team in high school and we only did 2 lifts bench and clean/jerk). Be safe and strong.

Rooster

My Birthday is May 25th, so i have 6 months. I'm hoping i'll be in the 300lbs range by the time i turn 15. I'm really impressed with your 400+ deadlift at a young age of only 16 well done, and what else i'm impressed with is your clean and jerk congratulations. Well i'll shoot for the 342lbs deadlift. Thanks and many more.