Age Related Question

OregonTod

I posted this on the main grip Board but didn't get any response and i'm super curious on this because it's been a discussion in my grip circle for awhile now. Jedd, you have been very active in the grip scene for a very long time (I watch and enjoy all your YouTube videos and i'm on your email list) so I'm thinking if anyone may know the answer to this it's probably you. You also seem to take the time to answer all questions on here. Thank you for all you do for the grip community.

I know there are probably a lot of guys in their 50s or even older (Odd Haugen etc) who can close Ironmind's # 3 gripper. I'm curious, are there many people who closed it for the FIRST time who are in their mid 50s? also, any idea who is the oldest person to close the # 3 and what age they are/were?

Thank you,

Tod 

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

I was in my early 60s.

• Like 3

Steve Millard is certainly close to CCS #3 and He is 54 years old.

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

This post and the answers are very motivational. Also makes me wonder if there is anyone who continues to progress higher with grip training, even after they pass their peak/prime age. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

This post and the answers are very motivational. Also makes me wonder if there is anyone who continues to progress higher with grip training, even after they pass their peak/prime age. 

73 now and definitely on the downhill slide.  Not over the hill exactly but certainly past my prime.  Hell I was probably past my prime when I stated Grip Sport back in 2003

LOL 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, climber511 said:

73 now and definitely on the downhill slide.  Not over the hill exactly but certainly past my prime.  Hell I was probably past my prime when I stated Grip Sport back in 2003

LOL 

Makes it even awesome-r that you're keeping the spirit of gripping! :D on some days , the sport is like the biggest deal to me. then on others i'm like " am i a little too enthusiastic about this? " but then not long after i answer myself with a big fat "Naahhhhh~ " xD 

• Like 1

I closed a #3 MMS for my first time in January or February 2018 at age 48.  I closed my first 3 from CCS for the first time this year at age 52.  I am attempting the IM cert this week (still 52), either tomorrow, Tuesday, or Wednesday.

I'll let you know if I make it.

• Like 5

Just now, Vinnie said:

I closed a #3 MMS for my first time in January or February 2018 at age 48.  I closed my first 3 from CCS for the first time this year at age 52.  I am attempting the IM cert this week (still 52), either tomorrow, Tuesday, or Wednesday.

I'll let you know if I make it.

I just realized the OP is 5 years old lol.  But it popped up top because of the recent comments.  HI guys.

10 hours ago, SkyHeart said:

Not experienced enough to name specific people but, being a fan of the sport and somebody who trains grip quite a lot, I'll just quote comments I've seen on youtube/Gripboard and comments I heard in person. 

Grip and hand strength are things that most people can do at an older age. Guys like John Brzenk and Ron Bath have also made similar statements, although arm wrestling includes a lot of arm and tendon strength as well. But they do indeed grip up so it's a key element in their training. 

The great Magnús Ver Magnússon told me the same several times, after he crushed me like a bug everytime I went and challenged him to do something (for fun) in his gym Jakabol. 

Magnús would just walk up to whatever we were doing that day (we'd tease him with "you're retired" remarks etc), whether it was double overhand deadlift, inch dumbell replica (70kg and 80kg) and would just wipe the floor with us lol... Very easy 600lbs pull with double overhand (no warmup) was done many times throughout the years I spent in that place. 

Oh and... He'd crush that #3 without ever struggling, or warming up much either lol

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/6/2021 at 8:03 PM, SkyHeart said:

Started toying with grippers casually 5 or 6 years ago and training more regularly 4 years ago at age 48.  Improved gradually and achieved COC 3 cert this week, at age 52. 

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Vinnie said:

Started toying with grippers casually 5 or 6 years ago and training more regularly 4 years ago at age 48.  Improved gradually and achieved COC 3 cert this week, at age 52. 

Congrats on the certification! 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, Vinnie said:

That's fantastic! :D 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So there's hope for us old guys

• Like 2

1 hour ago, John Knowlton said:

So there's hope for us old guys

What's "old" in big muscle strength lift's like squat - bench - and DL is hardly an issue as far as grip strength goes.  I didn't really notice a decline in grip until I was getting past my mid 60s or nearly 70.  Pinch has held up the best - with a very small loss overall.  Axle - grippers - and bending is where I have lost the most.  Much of this I equate to the lack of training for those events but still a real significant loss in those.  The more the whole body is involved - the greater the loss it seems.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, climber511 said:

What's "old" in big muscle strength lift's like squat - bench - and DL is hardly an issue as far as grip strength goes.  I didn't really notice a decline in grip until I was getting past my mid 60s or nearly 70.  Pinch has held up the best - with a very small loss overall.  Axle - grippers - and bending is where I have lost the most.  Much of this I equate to the lack of training for those events but still a real significant loss in those.  The more the whole body is involved - the greater the loss it seems.

I think it's freaking awesome that you are still training at age 73.

Mad props to you.

Edited by DevilErik
  • Like 1

73 fantastic, way to be. Weight Training will keep us young.

• Like 1

Absolutely. I just have a couple years left until meeting good ol 30, but i welcome it! for i know i'll be a way stronger (and hopefully wiser) me by then. Grippers have taught me so much in these last 2, nearly 3 years. feels funny to remember the first few weeks when i was just using those store bought foam and plastic handled ones that can be repped forever, and now am taking on the "300" 

I look forward to seeing what everyone accomplishes in 2022 :)

• Like 2