Skin problem grippers

Geralt

Hey guys,

The skin of my strongest hands' middlefinger got ripped open. Started with a little cut but it got worse. This because of dry skin at that moment - yes I use creams etc - and the pressure on that spot because of creditcardset. This set stretches my skin to the limit. There's calluses now and I hoped that it was solid enough but when I tried to set any gripper above #2 level, it felt like a knife cutting through the flesh. I stopped and luckily it didn't rip open but I'm getting a bit frustrated here since my grippertraining was going reasonably well. This kind of things or other i juries seem to happen everytime when I reach the 3 CCS level and it is extremely frustrating, since I am focussing solely on this goal. The way this feels I think another two weeks will be needed at least to heal up furher. Any tips on skin repair which could speed up recovery? Taping up doesn't work. Pressure stays very painful and it messes up the set. Can't get the gripperhandle into the right place. 

Edited by Geralt

I would leave it to heal to be honest. I guess that's not what you want to hear, but I think it's a better idea. The skin in the middle of my palm has been ripped off recently because I increased my volume of grippers, and it was too painful to use them for about a week and a half. I tried to, but I was anticipating the pain and couldn't focus on doing it properly. I waited a few weeks and I'm back to normal. Same thing happened with a cut in the webbing of my left hand. 

• Like 1

sounds extremely irritating and frustrating, knowing how we all are (at least the majority of us) addicted to this training, stuff like this really messes with us.

Can you leave it be and let it heal while still hitting other stuff that can be helpful to reach your goal?
Like? heavy thumb-work or other specific fingertraining for other fingers that might help while still letting the injury heal?

kind regards
/peter

• Like 1

If tape doesn't help I definitely think you should rest. Have you tried gripper without knurling, like the Vulcan? 

Make sure you file down calluses after each workout. They only tear once they're big, so keep them as small as possible.

• Like 1

Thank you guys. Yes, I am definitely letting it heal up. I meant recovery more in terms of special creams you like to use or other things to toughen skin up a bit. Never had this problem before, but also never trained the ccs this much. @BenMorrissey very true on that anticipating on the pain part. When setting it cuts already and I believe indeed the CNS at that point is going in defensive mode. 

@Peter Brannstrom yes, probably better to shift focus on things I can do indeed. 

@Fist of Fury, i tried the Vulcan today, yet just for warming up but same here, the direct push of the handle on the injured spot hurts too much, to focus on proper closing.  

I just tried setting the #2 even wider with the gripper almost on my finger tips, which does seem to work. I can still get good closes in, so there's some room to at least keep the groove greased. Thank you for your input gentlemen. 

Edited by Geralt
  • Like 1

Ah ok, I think I misread. When I have injuries to my hand I like doing hot and cold contrast baths. They can be a little painful when you have an open injury, but it helps keep the blood flowing, which aids recovery. In terms to creams I'm not sure, aside from sanitising/disinfecting creams, so I can't help much, sorry!

• Like 1

I think I may be experiencing the same thing you are. It really flared up when I was training 20mm blockset for some reason but was there when I was doing CCS late last year.

20170127_162538.jpg

The spot there on the first knuckle of the middle finger is very dry.

Here is what I did to get rid of the pain:

I put some neosporin on a bandaid and kept the spot covered during the day. During the night I left it uncovered. I pretty much stopped using Chalk with grippers. I just wash my hands if they seem too slippery. Chalk really dries my hands out and gives me negligible benefits. I still use some in my palm occasionally.  I will put tape on the finger side of my grippers sometimes too. 

Although my skin still feels dry, I do not have pain anymore. I think the antibiotic cream and reduction of chalk did the trick.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Geralt said:

Hey guys,

The skin of my strongest hands' middlefinger got ripped open. Started with a little cut but it got worse. This because of dry skin at that moment - yes I use creams etc - and the pressure on that spot because of creditcardset. This set stretches my skin to the limit. There's calluses now and I hoped that it was solid enough but when I tried to set any gripper above #2 level, it felt like a knife cutting through the flesh. I stopped and luckily it didn't rip open but I'm getting a bit frustrated here since my grippertraining was going reasonably well. This kind of things or other i juries seem to happen everytime when I reach the 3 CCS level and it is extremely frustrating, since I am focussing solely on this goal. The way this feels I think another two weeks will be needed at least to heal up furher. Any tips on skin repair which could speed up recovery? Taping up doesn't work. Pressure stays very painful and it messes up the set. Can't get the gripperhandle into the right place. 

I know the feeling my grip machine tore some Calluses off when I went really heavy I started using a glove till it healed . I still use the gloves even after healed seems to me no matter how hard my hands got the machine still would tear my skin open if I used it without gloves . Dunno if this his helps 

😀

• Like 1

Weird but works, when skin starts to get dry rub it on your nose or forehead, get some skin oil on it.

Also smooth handles, vulcan or ironmind zenith, one you start to see white dead skin do some reps with smooth handles.

• Like 1

The ClimbOn bar is the best thing i know for this! You can get it from Amazon.

image.jpeg

• Like 2

Do you drink enough water? And do you have pic of your skin? I remember Kevin Bussi skin after negatives on grippers!!! 

Hey man. As you know  I battled a pinky injury for almost two years.  Because of all the scar tissue, it became prone to ripping back open.  

I eventually took care of this by using a bandaid while I trained...only taking it off for one close  (some workouts only).  Before I swallowed my pride and did that, I tried to train through the pain...causing delays in healing and progress. 

I guess I'm saying that after you heal up, you should work prevention into your training.  The exact motion we use to close grippers isn't exactly found in nature.  Our hands/fingers are all built differently and many of us need to develop work-arounds or quit.  Knowing you...quitting not even on the table. :)

• Like 1

Thank you for all the input guys, I read some good tips, although the forehead/noserub  made me chuckle :D but the body could very well deliver it's own healingmoisturiser. Thanks again. Finger skin is getting better, though grippers just hurts. No matter the set, the gripper bites in the very same spot that's injured. Taping is possible for narrow sets, but still, don't want to risk it slowing down the healingprocess. Working around it, when doing thickbar and pinch I have no pain, so grippers will be off the hook till damage is fully repaired. I filed the loose skin away today and practically bath in skincream. Now that I don't train grippers, I am even going to change gripwork to twice a week, so who knows it gives a good break for getting stronger at grippers. Probably not though. @Adam Juncker, that looks nasty man. I feel ya. Here's my photo, this is actually much and much better than it was. 

IMG_2450.JPG

Edited by Geralt

• 3 years later...

Firstly, do less grippers, you don't need to do them a lot to be good at them, you can build gripper strength up with other exercises that wont cause these issues. Second thing would be if you are going to do grippers a lot or do a lot of volume, focus on technique and don't use grippers that are sharp with the knurling. Lastly, cocoa butter specifically, hand creams in general ive found not to do much, cocoa butter does as it heals deep tears and also gives the skin the ability to stretch more without tearing so you are less likely to have the same issues again.

• Like 2